• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

G8/G20 June 2010 Protest Watch

Like Wonderbred I'm sympathetic to the police. Very much so.  I actually think the police should have used more force and took the crap disturbers down as soon as they donned face masks and picked up weapons.

If Wonderbread had eyes on and said things were sketchy I'm quite inclined to believe him.

Police can't afford to sit there and debate the merits of a law with some mouthy protestor who'll spend an hour arguing about illegal searches over and over.
At the same time the police should at least know what law it is they are enforcing. "Because we said so" or "Because it's the G20 summit" aren't very good answers.  STFU and do it works well with us but not these people.  Some of the police at least knew the name of the Public Works act, others seemed like they had no clue.
[Once I was informed by the police that it was illegal to have more than 5 rounds in a .45 pistol and I was lucky because he could charge me for not having a plug in my shotgun (even though it was being stored and not hunted with..) and because I changed shotgun stocks (wood to plastic) without telling anyone. It's not cool when police don't know the law]

Displaying "captured weapons" that had nothing to do with the summit? That seems cheap and cheesy. 
In a battle where public relations is important (not to mention makes the job easier I'd imagine?) it seems like who ever is in charge of PR crap the bed in a few areas.

In the police defense they're all not big city swat types. The police came from all over the country, including many small towns. Thrust a small town guy into a riot situation with thousands upon thousands of people and he's bound to waver a little and make some mistakes.
And need I mention Op Cadence trying to be run initially like a tour to Afghanistan? Police probably suffered from the same spin factor as us.

I think this makes alot of sense. Not only is it not warranted but neither are the actions of those
anarchists who caused so much damage and trouble for police, disrupted the legal protesters of
voicing their democratic rights, and brought shame to our country. My :2c:

From the Gazette:
TORONTO — Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty will not call a public inquiry into the way police handled protests during last weekend's G20 summit in Toronto.

A spokesperson for the premier said McGuinty feels an inquiry "isn't warranted.

"It was a federally led summit and it would be a federal government decision to review any aspects of the summit," the spokesperson wrote in an email to Canwest News Service.

(Article continues)

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/public+inquiry+into+police+tactics+McGuinty/3229495/story.html#ixzz0sdUxe89i

(Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act)

This may seem rather innocent at first:

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

'Nerd' shocked his toys in G20 weapons cache
By TAMARA CHERRY, QMI Agency
Last Updated: June 30, 2010 7:18pm

LINK

Fantasy role playing weapons put next to weapons seized during summit

Police are living in a fantasy world if they think arrows on display Tuesday had anything to do with the weekend G20 violence, a Whitby man said Wednesday.

Brian Barrett was shocked to go online Tuesday and see a photo gallery showing toy weapons seized from him while en route to Mississauga for a fantasy role-playing game.

His hand-made scale armour, cushion-tipped arrows and hockey-taped shields were among the items Toronto Police chief Bill Blair said were “seized from criminals” who wreaked havoc on the city Saturday.

They weren’t the only misleading items on display during a Tuesday press conference.

When Blair was asked about a chainsaw and crossbow, he agreed they had been seized from a man near The Esplanade in an incident unrelated to the G20 summit.

“Some of the things that are related are these arrows with devices tied on to them so that they could pour gas on them, ignite them and shoot them at us,” Blair said. “That was seized from criminals.”

Not so, said Barrett, “champion of Twilight Peak” and weapons safety officer for a 15th century role-playing game called Amtgard.

Barrett was passing through Union Station from Whitby, clad in his 85-pound scale armour, when he was “thrown into a bench” and held at gunpoint while officers dumped out his backpack — also on display Tuesday — and rifled through its contents, he said.

Among the items taken from him after more than an hour of detention were his armour, two shields, a round buckler, foam maces, a foam flail and five arrows that had their points taken off and padded “so that they’re safe enough for 13-year-old and 14-year-old kids to play with.”

Given the sensitivity of the weekend, police confiscated the items and told Barrett he could retrieve them from a warehouse on Tuesday.

“I woke up yesterday morning and I had players as far as Texas leaving me messages on my voicemail saying, ‘Dude, all of your stuff is on TV, they’re saying it’s all terrorist weapons,’” Barrett said.

“There’s a big stigma that I’m a nerd, I’m going outside dressed as a knight from the 15th century, wearing authentic armour and carrying foam weapons and shields,” Barrett said. “Now I’m going to have to deal with the stigma of being the violent nerdy guy who’s going to go around and break windows and smash banks because he’s angry at the government.”

Asked why the items were displayed, Toronto Police spokesman Mark Pugash said, “If there were things there that were not connected with the summit, they should not have been there. There was no intent to mislead anyone, but if people feel that they were, then I would apologize.”

By the time Blair arrived at the press conference, the property had been laid out and the chief “didn’t have a chance to look at all the property,” Pugash said.

“I’m probably, fairly certain that the property people weren’t in a position to go through each item and that’s unfortunate,” Pugash said. “It doesn’t diminish for a second the destruction we saw by people who came here apparently determined to create as much damage as they possibly could.”

======================================================================

This could be an interesting situation, however, the thing is; Union Station was NOT open during this period of time for commuter traffic.  Anyone else smell something not right here?

Perhaps a little dated, but:

Four accused anarchists held overnight
By IAN ROBERTSON, QMI Agency
Last Updated: June 28, 2010 11:47pm

LINK

Four accused organizers of G20 demonstrations ended with more than 900 arrests will be back in court Tuesday afternoon.

Amanda Hiscocks, Leah Henderson, Alex Hundert and Peter Hopperton were separated in the Finch Ave. W. courthouse from more than a dozen others arrested during weekend protests.

Publication bans were imposed on all pretrial evidence and information.

The foursome, alleged Southern Ontario Anarchist Resistance executives arrested after a 14-month undercover police investigation, sat together in a secure glassed-in booth Monday afternoon. Toronto Police officers guarded the courtroom entrance and visitors emptied their pockets and walked through security arches.

Lawyers sought adjournments to study evidence.

A young woman in a black shirt with dark hair tied in a ponytail, Henderson sat stone-faced during proceedings. She is charged with conspiracy to commit an indictable offence.

Hiscocks, a slender woman in a black T-shirt who nervously bit her nails, is charged with conspiracy to commit an indictable offence, failing to comply with bail conditions plus counselling to commit indictable offences.

Before being returned to custody, she smiled and waved at a courtroom camera, its image transmitted to relatives and supporters on a screen in a nearby public gallery room.

A dark-bearded Hundert also waved into the camera. He’s charged with conspiracy to commit an indictable offence plus counselling to commit indictable offences.

Hopperton, who has dark hair and a moustache, and wore dark coveralls, is charged with counselling to commit an indictable offence.

Accused protesters in other courtrooms faced charges including wearing a disguise to commit an offence, having dangerous weapons or concealed weapons, possessing incendiary materials, public mischief, causing a disturbance, obstructing peace officers, assaulting police with intent to resist arrest, unlawful assembly and carrying a weapon at a public meeting.

Several were released on bail.

Slightly-built, gray-haired Kitchener pensioner Florica Ichim, 65, had no comment after offering $2,000 bail for son Julian Ichim, who is charged with counselling to commit mischief.

Sporting a Mohawk haircut and a goatee, Peter J. Gill, 24, of B.C., was ordered out of Ontario until his next court date, Friday. Charged with making or possessing an explosive device and having a restricted weapon, he was released on $1,000 bail provided by his dad.

G20 protest speaker Taylor Flook later told The Sun between 300 to 400 people remain in custody. A police spokesman could not provide total release numbers.

Flook, 28, freed after 23 hours with her breach-of-the-peace charge dropped, said she joined a class-action arrest lawsuit.

Is it all over?  No.  Tomorrow..............

Ottawa anarchists stage protest for Sunday
By KENNETH JACKSON, Ottawa Sun
Last Updated: July 2, 2010 11:10am

LINK

They won't give up.

Anarchists, unhappy with the way Toronto police handled things during the G summits' protests will be back at Ottawa police headquarters Sunday.

"At this time we need to stand up, make some noise and make a collective statement that we will not let these actions stand," the group says in an e-mail circulated late Thursday.

Having already rallied at headquarters at 474 Elgin St. Wednesday, the group plans to be there again Sunday at 2:30 p.m.

The purpose behind the continuing protests are to show "solidarity" with the more than 1,000 people arrested during the summit meetings "and all others who were brutalized and had their rights violated."

It's being put together by a local group calling themselves Organizing for Justice.

Toronto police arrested and detained 714 people, and of those, 263 were held for bail hearings. A Toronto police spokesman said he didn't know how many were still in custody.

Another 113 were arrested on the street and released on scene.

More than 200 angry protesters shouted anti-police slogans and demanded justice outside police headquarters on Elgin St. Wednesday.

"I'm appalled and ashamed by what I saw over the weekend in Toronto," Jessica Freedman told the Sun at the protest. "It was very disturbing to me to see and hear the kinds of things that were happening."

Similar rallies were also held in Hamilton, London and Windsor.

There were about 1,000 protesting on Canada Day in Montreal and several thousand in Toronto, according to Organizing for Justice.

The local anarchists are also calling on people to call Toronto police Chief Bill Blair to complain about the arrests, alleged brutality and demand that all those arrested are released. They're also calling for his resignation.

"They need to hear from us. All of us. If you are in Toronto call as a Torontonian. If you are from elsewhere, call as someone who has spent time in the city," the group says.

=========================================================================

Without a doubt, some of these protestors were in Toronto.  Perhaps one, or more, participated in Black Bloc tactics.  Perhaps one, or more, was arrested and is currently out on Bail.  I am sure that Darwin is looking down on them and shaking his head.

Interesting that Jessica Freedman is so prominent in the news.  Shame she has no concept of OPSEC.....It makes tracking these twits so much easier.

I predict that hundreds will gather and yell but be more or less peaceful while 2 or 3 will throw rocks and smash windows.  The Police will do the normal riot dealio and a few innocents will be detained, a few guilty will be detained, a few guilty will get away...all the while people will scream "Injustice! Injustice!"

Why protest, we all know that this is how it goes.

Globe and Mail: Statistics of other mass arrests in Canada. 

•2010 Toronto G20: Roughly 900
•1993 Clayoquot Sound logging blockades: 856
•1970 October Crisis: 465
•2001 Quebec City Summit of the Americas: 463
•1981 Toronto bathhouse raids: 286
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/g20-related-detentions-biggest-mass-arrests-in-canadian-history/article1621198/

Other G20 arrest stats ( Pittsburgh, London and "The Battle of Seattle" ) are in the Globe and Mail article.

Sun:
"G20 prisoner #0106: Sa":
http://www.torontosun.com/comment/columnists/rachel_sa/2010/07/01/14578256.html

George Wallace said:
This could be an interesting situation, however, the thing is; Union Station was NOT open during this period of time for commuter traffic.  Anyone else smell something not right here?

What a stupid ignoramus liar.
I wonder if his friends are still backing him up on that one ;D  HAHAHA

mariomike said:
Sun:
"G20 prisoner #0106: Sa":
http://www.torontosun.com/comment/columnists/rachel_sa/2010/07/01/14578256.html

It might be more productive for her to direct her anger at the sh*t disturbers rather than the police. If she, and her "peaceful protest" compatriots want constructive protest then it falls to them to control their own rogue elements.

Exactly, They should be pointing their fingers at those who were responsible for their alleged
unlawful detainment in those filthy and somehow "freezing" cells down in Toraushwitz town.

George Wallace said:

Your information is not correct. Union Station was open during the G20 and GO Transit was operating a normal schedule. There was a disruption Saturday because of the lock-downs, but service resumed again on Sunday. VIA was not operating out of Union. It looks like this guy is just a nerd who possibly spends way too much time playing online games and oblivious to the fact their was a major event with heightened security outside the front doors of Union.

http://news.globaltv.com/story.html?id=3083907

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100627/toronto_G20_shutdowns_100627/20100627/?hub=TorontoNewHome

edited VIA info

At the same time the police should at least know what law it is they are enforcing. "Because we said so" or "Because it's the G20 summit" aren't very good answers.  STFU and do it works well with us but not these people.  Some of the police at least knew the name of the Public Works act, others seemed like they had no clue.

In the police defense they're all not big city swat types. The police came from all over the country, including many small towns. Thrust a small town guy into a riot situation with thousands upon thousands of people and he's bound to waver a little and make some mistakes.

Just to re-iterate this point, but most if not all of the police from Nontario weren't advised of this public works law, and weren't expected/directed to use it during the course of duties

Poll finds G20 protesters blew it big time:

Those demonstrations during the G20 summit sure did a lot of good for the activist community.

Here they had a chance to make a political point on some crucial issues at a moment when attention across the world was temporarily focused on Toronto.

So what did they achieve? According to Angus Reid they disgusted the vast majority of the people they were trying to woo:

Respondents were asked about their feelings about the demonstrations that took place in Toronto during the G20 summit. Two-thirds of Canadians (69%) are disgusted, 59% are ashamed, 57% are angry, and 54% are sad. In Toronto, the proportion of respondents who reported negative feelings was higher (Disgust 81%, Anger 74%, Sadness 65%, Shame 61%).

Good job activists! Way to seize an opportunity and make it yours!

National Post
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2010/07/02/poll-finds-g20-protesters-blew-it-big-time/#ixzz0sidVSWcs

57Chevy said:
Poll finds G20 protesters blew it big time:

Those demonstrations during the G20 summit sure did a lot of good for the activist community.

Here they had a chance to make a political point on some crucial issues at a moment when attention across the world was temporarily focused on Toronto.

So what did they achieve? According to Angus Reid they disgusted the vast majority of the people they were trying to woo:

Respondents were asked about their feelings about the demonstrations that took place in Toronto during the G20 summit. Two-thirds of Canadians (69%) are disgusted, 59% are ashamed, 57% are angry, and 54% are sad. In Toronto, the proportion of respondents who reported negative feelings was higher (Disgust 81%, Anger 74%, Sadness 65%, Shame 61%).

Good job activists! Way to seize an opportunity and make it yours!

National Post
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2010/07/02/poll-finds-g20-protesters-blew-it-big-time/#ixzz0sidVSWcs

Had a majority of the legitimate protestors taken the same attitude and acted as the fellow from the B of M who is all over http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w1n5KthCmY then I am sure that these statistics would have been different.  By their actions of inaction to stop the anarchists from the destruction of property, the legitimate protestors lost everything.

2010newbie said:
Your information is not correct. Union Station was open during the G20 and GO Transit was operating a normal schedule. There was a disruption Saturday because of the lock-downs, but service resumed again on Sunday. VIA was not operating out of Union. It looks like this guy is just a nerd who possibly spends way too much time playing online games and oblivious to the fact their was a major event with heightened security outside the front doors of Union.

http://news.globaltv.com/story.html?id=3083907

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100627/toronto_G20_shutdowns_100627/20100627/?hub=TorontoNewHome

edited VIA info

Via Rail will not use Toronto Union Station during G20

Toronto — The Canadian Press
Published on Thursday, Jun. 03, 2010 9:40PM EDT
Last updated on Friday, Jun. 04, 2010 10:11AM EDT

.Via Rail Canada says it will be moving its operations out of Toronto's Union Station during the G20 Summit at the end of June.

Via says it will use suburban stations from June 24 through 27.

Stations in Oakville, Brampton, Oshawa and north Toronto will be used during the summit period.

Passengers with Via connections will be shuttled between suburban stations to their connecting trains.

Via says it will make every effort to minimize shuttle travel times, but advises that travellers should expect delays.

Additionally, due to extremely low advance ticket sales, Via says it will be operating a weekend schedule during those dates.

“Due to the proximity of Union Station to the main meeting location we know that there will be major congestion,” said Via president Marc Laliberte.

“We regret the inconvenience these changes may cause, but we believe that making them well in advance and communicating this information to travellers now will help minimize access issues for our customers.”

TTC, GO Train Halt Service To Downtown Core, Union Station Closed

2010/06/26 | CityNews.ca Staff

Both the TTC and GO Transit have temporarily stopped service to the downtown due to the G20 and subsequent protests.

Union Station is also closed. 

Toronto Police requested that both public transit bodies shut down core routes over safety issues.

If you planned on taking the better way on Saturday, be advised: subways are turning back at Bloor Station and St. George Station. As well, there is no bus or streetcar service between Broadview Ave. and Spadina Ave., south from Bloor St.

Shortly after 6pm, the TTC began running shuttle buses from Bathurst Station to Front Street. Parliament buses were also up and running between Castle Frank Station and Front Street.

Earlier in the day, it was just the Lakeshore east and west lines that were affected. Now, all GO Transit routes have been temporarily suspended. All trains will go out of service once they reach their respective destinations.

GO buses all also affected: All trips from the west will terminate at the Yorkdale Bus Terminal and all trips from the east will terminate at the York Mills Bus Terminal.

They're not the only ones closing up shop because of the summit - to see what else is open and closed during the G20, click here.

McGuinty doesn't rue secrecy on G20 law
02/07/2010 11:36:31 PM

LINK

The Ontario government should have done more to inform the public about broad police powers to search and arrest people within Toronto's G20 summit perimeter, Premier Dalton McGuinty acknowledged Friday.

"Some confusion arose, and in hindsight I think that we could have, and probably should have, done something to make it perfectly clear to people," McGuinty said in an interview with The Canadian Press.

He said his government could have "done a better job" of informing people about the temporary, powers-granting regulation the cabinet passed on June 2.

But McGuinty said he doesn't feel he owes the public an apology for what happened during the summit last weekend.

The temporary powers regulation, which will only be published in the official Ontario Gazette on Saturday, five days after it lapsed, became publicly known when a man was arrested two days before the summit for refusing to provide ID to police while exploring the fence around the G20 "red" zone.

Promulgated under the provincial Public Works Protection Act, the regulation designated the fence and public areas within it as a "public work." As a result, police had several typically unconstitutional powers:

- To require anyone entering the red zone to identify themselves and state their purpose for being there.

- To search anyone entering the zone.

- To demand from anyone found in the zone that they prove their authority for being there.

- To arrest anyone refusing to obey these requirements.

In several pre-summit meetings between civil liberties advocates and security personnel, and in interviews with reporters who specifically asked about the laws that would be used to secure the G20, officials never mentioned the new police powers.

McGuinty said Friday that "there were ads placed in newspapers, and a note was put on our website and a note was put on the City of Toronto's website," but he conceded readers wouldn't have necessarily known "what we were actually talking about."

The advertisements did not mention the Public Works Protection Act or any special regulations, nor police's new arrest powers or the penalty for breaking the act - a fine of up to $500 and up to two months in jail.

Mass arrests, random searches

The Canadian Civil Liberties Association and others blame the government for confusion over the exact powers held by police during the summit.

Well away from the G20 zone, constables were systematically stopping, interrogating, demanding ID from and searching people in public spaces. In many cases, officers snatched items they found during those searches, including bandanas, scarves, black clothing, goggles, recreation medieval armour and gas masks.

Police also arrested nearly 1,000 people during the G20 and the G8 meeting that preceded it in Huntsville, Ont. Several hundred of those were in mass roundups of protesters, bystanders and media at peaceful sit-ins straddling the Toronto G20 zone.

And it was widely reported and thought that the new, temporary police arrest powers extended to a five-metre tranche beyond the G20 zone. Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said as much in a news conference last Friday, before admitting Tuesday that the five-metre buffer never existed.

The Works Protection Act regulation lapsed on Monday, a week after it went into effect.

It won't necessarily fade into history, though. One of the two people arrested for breaching the regulation has said he will contest the charges against him by challenging the act's constitutionality.

Crown lawyers could obviate that challenge, however, by dropping the charges.

With files from The Canadian Press

======================================================================

Toronto G20 Security, road closures, fence perimeter and your rights!
Saturday, 26 June 2010 07:44
Written by Glen Allen

LINK

Today we learned that the police standing guard outside the G8 and G20 summits have been granted special temporary powers by legislation that was passed by Ontario's cabinet on June 2nd, 2010 without debate. These powers will only last for the seven days around the time of the summit and are set to expire on June 28th. The laws require anyone that approaches within 5 metres of the security fence to supply security personnel with identification, submit to a search and explain why they are in the area. If they refuse to co-operate, they can be arrested and fined up to $500 and cold face up to 2 months in jail.

The regulation was passed under the province's Public Works Protection Act; the cabinet responded to an "extraordinary request" made by Toronto's Police Chief Bill Blair. The 5 metre buffer zone is being used to protect the fence itself since the police want to ensure that no one has an opportunity to pull down the fence that is being used to separate the world's VIPs from the unwashed masses of Canadian society. I'd like to know who came up with the seemingly random distance of 5 metres since it appears nowhere in the Act. What happens if you stand precisely 6 metres from the fence; are you in violation of the Act? The Act also refers constantly to "public works". If you live in a condo that you own within the secure zone but require access through a publicly owned street, does the law still apply in the same fashion since the condo is obviously privately owned? If I thought that the fence was actually there to protect the VIPs from terrorists, I would feel somewhat differently but I believe that it exists solely to keep the "small people" (us) away from the "important people (them).

From the Public Works Protection Act, here is the pertinent section about identifying yourself. Remember, don't leave home without it (your wallet that is)!

Powers of guard or peace officer

3.A guard or peace officer,
(a) may require any person entering or attempting to enter any public work or any approach thereto to furnish his or her name and address, to identify himself or herself and to state the purpose for which he or she desires to enter the public work, in writing or otherwise;
(b) may search, without warrant, any person entering or attempting to enter a public work or a vehicle in the charge or under the control of any such person or which has recently been or is suspected of having been in the charge or under the control of any such person or in which any such person is a passenger; and
(c) may refuse permission to any person to enter a public work and use such force as is necessary to prevent any such person from so entering. R.S.O. 1990, c. P.55, s. 3.

Here is the pertinent section about the penalties for disobeying your local security official:

Refusal to obey guard, etc.

5.(1)Every person who neglects or refuses to comply with a request or direction made under this Act by a guard or peace officer, and every person found upon a public work or any approach thereto without lawful authority, the proof whereof lies on him or her, is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not more than $500 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than two months, or to both.
Arrest
(2)A guard or peace officer may arrest, without warrant, any person who neglects or refuses to comply with a request or direction of a guard or peace officer, or who is found upon or attempting to enter a public work without lawful authority. R.S.O. 1990, c. P.55, s. 5.

What I found interesting was flipping through the pages of comments posted by online readers following the articles in the online versions of the major Canadian newspapers (Globe and Mail, Toronto Star, National Post). It seemed that there was about a 50;50 split between those that thought the law was a good idea to maintain control over the "protesting hoodlum element" and those that thought that the law was a very bad idea and that it infringed on the rights of people to pass freely through the society. I also took into account the "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" that other readers use to rank comments made. I had actually expected a far stronger anti-legislation movement than there appeared to be. I'm not certain whether readers responses in favour of the use of this legislation reflects the movement of Canadian society to the right, people's frustration with the hooligan element who actually negate the power of protests by legitimate interest groups or that it just reflects the nature of Canadians that take the time to post their feelings online.

On a personal note, I'm totally against the use of this legislation in this particular case, unfortunately, the powers that we have elected "democratically" seem helpless in the face of a few thugs who may cause problems for the rest of society. It's kind of like being back in junior high when the teacher threatened detentions for the entire class for the misdeeds of one or two students. We are all being tarred with the same brush whether we are guilty or not. One thing I do think; the implementation of this legislation for the duration of these summits should have been made public long before today. That is the least that our elected officials could have done for those who voted them into positions of power. We deserve to know exactly what you are doing on our behalf.

=====================================================================

It might be noted that Union Station, as did numerous other public infrastructure, already fell under this legislation, before temporary measures were put into place.

I'm not biased towards McGuinty, I hardly know who the guy is. I couldn't identify him if his picture was infront of me.

Reading all these news articles I'm really getting the feeling that he is incompitent and doesn't really have a clue.

I'm no expert but to me making citizens clearly aware of a new law (Or old law which you are tempoairily whipping out) which drastically effects a police officers power of search and arrest, for an event that is going to attract THOUSANDS of people,  seems very important. I would say top of the list.

It's almost too dumb. I'm trying to think of an advantage for the police/gov't to drag their feet play dumb and act like they didn't know any better but I can't think of why NOT telling the public (and lets be honest, it seems like the avoided it on purpose) would be a good move.
Maybe the intention was to frustrate and anger the protestors on purpose so we could make sweeping arrests?  Get them mad, let their ignorance of the law provoke them into 'crossing the line' and police just throw them in custody to get them out of the way? That seems possible.

3 July 2010:
"Is a class-action lawsuit against Toronto Police Services for their conduct during the G20 inevitable?":
http://www.blogto.com/city/2010/07/is_a_class-action_lawsuit_against_toronto_police_services_for_their_conduct_during_the_g20_inevitable/

2007:
"Lawsuits drive up legal bills for police":
http://www.thestar.com/news/article/185690

"While Toronto doesn't release details about how much litigation costs taxpayers, the agenda for a recent conference on municipal and provincial liability stated that lawsuits against Toronto police have cost more than $30 million since 1998." ( 2007 )

Reveille in Allan Gardens:
http://www.thestar.com/videozone/829009

I don't see any problem with that.
If I so happen to have been there and a police officer approached me for one reason or another,
asking me to produce my ID, I would have produced it outright. Why not ? What infringement on
my rights would that constitute ?  I have nothing to hide.....I am not there to make any sort of
trouble.
I would assume that he would be in the right to ask me for my ID. Wouldn't I ? Why would I say
no ? To cause some sort of provocation ? A shadow of suspicion ?
That shouldn't bother anyone. How many times does our IDs come flying out of our wallets when
it for our own benefit. Like making a police report. Or to the LCBO (for the younger guys).
And if the police officer told me that I was in a place where I shouldn't be.....I would leave.
I think that is what most people in their right state of mind would do.
Even if the police splattered posters of said regulations all over town......Instigators would have ripped them down and things might have turned out even worse.

It seems to me, based on the Regs that George just posted that all McGuinty did was designate the Security Zone as equivalent to an Armoury or a CF Base or a police station for the duration of the summit.

If a loiterer spends too much time leaning up against the chainlink fence around those establishments I would expect a Constable or Commissionaire to come out and challenge the loiterer.  Especially if dressed like a ninj wannabe.  I believe they have the right to ask the loiterer to move along or show ID and lack of intent, including asking to see the contents of a back pack.  They also seem to have the right to arrest and temporarily detain anyone who doesn't comply with their requests.

All Chief Blair seems to have done is establish to his officers and the public what he would consider being "on the approaches".  He set the line at 5 meters from the fence.  Perhaps he would have done bettter to set the line a block from the fence to allow his officers more time for observation, orientation and decision prior to being forced to act.  How would you lot feel about being tasked to defend a feature and being told you couldn't operate more than 5m forward of the feature?

Perhaps we should all be grateful they didn't give Blair's job to a Former Naval Person.  For the Navy "the approaches" are measured in hundreds of kilometers.  Ontario's borders could be seen as being "on the approaches".

Back