• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fuze Correction before Fuze Setting?

Water Bottle

Inactive
Reaction score
So I have a brain buster for everyone here, can anyone tell me, along with some sort of reference or where I can find evidence to back up the answer, of why Fuze Correction Comes before Fuze setting in the GPO's Orders?

So I have a brain buster for everyone here, can anyone tell me, along with some sort of reference or where I can find evidence to back up the answer, of why Fuze Correction Comes before Fuze setting in the GPO's Orders?
Not sure of the answer but it strikes me that the convergence data, such as fuze correction could be calculated more rapidly under the old manual calculation methods than bearing, fuze setting and elevation. Also it would continue to be applied throughout the mission as all other data (like elevation and fuze setting) change during adjustment . Convergence data generally stays the same throughout the mission (unless specifically changed).

It strikes me as more logical to have "converge" out of the way before "bearing" and "gun correction" and "fuze correction" out of the way before "fuze setting" and "elevation".

Just a shot at it. Probably need a master Gunner to tell us the real reason.

:giggle:

When Tall…

It’s been years but I can still rattle off the song. Let me see if I did it right.

W
T
T
A
L
D
B
C
Q
G
F
F
A
E
M
D

IIRC FC comes first as it can be given to individual guns and FS is usually generic.
So you remember your individual correction to apply to the setting. You don’t want to set then need to correct downwards (and forget go right around)

I think most of the answers have been already given as to why (it relates to the old way of calculating gun data manually), but the key one being you only have to order it out once at the start of the fire mission. It is correcting not only for non standard conditions, but also for the position of individual guns as it relates to Bty centre. The former is determined prior to fire missions, based on the setup (or battle) range for a given charge, and the latter is determined for each relevant fire mission and based on range to target from Bty centre

But as to specific ref's, a general description of fuze correction is in B-GL-306-006 AP-001, Field Artillery Vol 6, Ballistics and Ammunition (in particular Chpt 6, Sect 4, Para 23, but there is also other relevant info in that tome)

It should also be in the ref for instruments that includes the Manual Artillery Plotting System (that's a controlled document so I can't tell you its name etc)
The old TFT's for the M109, the AM2, also gave a very detailed explanation of why for all arguments of entry and gun data calculation. The last time I seen a TFT for the Cdn M777 that information was not in there. So you might have to go digging around in the unit library to see if they have an old copy of that M109 TFT (which, IMO, does a far better job of explaining manual data calculation than what I've seen come out of the School)

Back