• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Free Mandarin buffet for Canadian citizens called a violation of human rights

tomahawk6 said:
The owner should be able to give away food to any class of person they choose.

Maybe all the media, and social media, "buzz" over what is fair, or not fair, isn't bad for business?

It's free advertising.

So do I. But, have you seen the Canada Day lineups? Any other day I enjoy going there. It's insane.  :)

This business has offered this recognition for Canada Day for over 10 years.
We enjoyed a meal on this offer a few years ago.

The "Internet Outrage" is manufactured advertising IMO.

Technoviking said:
EDIT: Though the quote does seem to be clear that such an offer would discriminate against non-Canadians, then I suppose so too does the Elections Act or Charter or whatever it is, since only Canadians Citizens can vote in Canadian Elections....

How times have changed. :rofl:
If a week is a long time in politics. A decade can be unfathomable. 8)

Sadly,

The only way people seem to be heard these days are through identity politics and the internet.

At first I didn’t realize the thread had a decade jump in it...it hasn’t changed. I do find it a bit humorous , though, picturing people standing in line with their passports, B/Certs etc. just to eat.

Regardless of the owner’s intentions, some people who are looking to become citizens can be in the process for quite some time—many years in some instances.

So someone’s here, working, paying taxes, being a contribution to society, perhaps furthering their education simultaneously while raising a family, but they can’t take part in the promotion because of red tape. Who cares, just open it to everyone. Mandarin can stand to take a hit one day out of the year to show appreciation for...whatever. Their pricing (while the food IS tasty and the selection very good) is decently expensive for the average person working an hourly wage, especially on weekends and/or holidays.

I don’t think it should be considered (by whomever on the internet) as a human rights violation, or arguing it as such. I just think it’s poor execution of what could be a very kind gesture otherwise.

Politics aside, if that's how anyone plans to spend their Canada Day, might be an idea to bring a folding chair and a deck of cards.  :)

"The staff had informed me the first person in line arrived at 1 AM the previous night."

I think they close for a couple of hours between lunch and dinner. So, add that to the standing in line time.

Those who handled the Raptors parade can probably handle this.

Expect lots of plate flipping once inside.

Feeding frenzy begins at noon.

Attachments

• mandarin2.jpg
    mandarin2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 110
kratz said:
Sadly,

The only way people seem to be heard these days are through identity politics and the internet.

Well that's one retro post.

X Royal said:
Well that's one retro post.

This special event is only held every five or ten years.

So, rather than start a new discussion of the same subject, we have this Sticky,

Necroposting - Not always a bad idea 
https://navy.ca/forums/threads/87278.0.html

Politics aside, looks like they had a pretty good turnout today,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M8Ry0K_mJI

mariomike said:
"The staff had informed me the first person in line arrived at 1 AM the previous night."

How little do these people value their time???

A normal meal costs max $30 after taxes, less for lunch.

Not a Sig Op said:
How little do these people value their time???

A normal meal costs max $30 after taxes, less for lunch.
Try seeing the Costco sample line ups....

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Try seeing the Costco sample line ups....

My wife has adopted my habit of referring to shopping at costco as "making an assault".

Speed and aggression.

Back