• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

France seeks Canadian Second World War veterans to award Legion of Honour

dangerboy

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
France is looking to honour Canadian soldiers who participated in the Dieppe Raid or liberation of France.

Are you a Canadian Second World War veteran who fought in France? If so, you may be entitled to receive France's highest distinction.

Ahead of Remembrance Day, the consulate general of France in Vancouver has put out a call for Canadian veterans who took part in the Dieppe Raid in 1942 or the battles to liberate France in 1944 as they may be eligible for France's National Order of the Legion of Honour. (remainder of acticle in link)

France is looking to honour Canadian soldiers who participated in the Dieppe Raid or liberation of France.

My uncle served in the Black Watch in Normandy and when the French first rolled out this program in 2014 for the 70th Anniversary of D-Day we asked him if he was interested. He said he had no interest in taking anything from a government that waited 70 years to honour the sacrifice made by people to free their country.

He said he had no interest in taking anything from a government that waited 70 years to honour the sacrifice made by people to free their country.
Sorry to hear that.

I do not know about the national government.

But, the people of the town where my uncle and his crewmates are buried have shown our families nothing but kindness and hospitality over the years.

Their Lancaster was shot down in July 1944 during The Battle of Normandy in a Shrage Muzik attack. There were no survivors.

The town sent my grand parents, via the RCAF, photos of the funeral. It was still enemy occupied territory.

The crew remain the only non French war graves in the town cemetery.

The people of the town certainly had the gratitude of my grand-parents and father. I know from the other families that they feel the same way.

My uncle served in the Black Watch in Normandy and when the French first rolled out this program in 2014 for the 70th Anniversary of D-Day we asked him if he was interested. He said he had no interest in taking anything from a government that waited 70 years to honour the sacrifice made by people to free their country.

Well, they probably did the math and figured out that, after 70 years, the cost/benefit woud be worthwhile.

Back