• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Flora MacDonald Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward Campbell

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
The Ottawa Citizen reports that "Flora MacDonald, former Conservative cabinet minister, dies at 89."

I knew Ms MacDonald slightly (I commanded a unit in Kingston and she was, of course, a regular visitor to the garrison mess). I do not believe that she was an especially able or productive minister, but there were, to be sure, a great many who were a lot worse.

She was a trail-breaker for women in politics, and for that, alone, she deserves our praise. She was also a "good" public servant, in the broadest sense of that word: she put country before self. For that, too, she deserves our praise. She was, as I recall her, a pleasant, witty woman who learned her briefs well. So, maybe not one of the great parliamentarians, but a good one and a lady who will be missed.

Of course, no mention of Flora would be complete without recalling Dief the Chief's quip (when Flora (who was the PC Party Secretary, I believe, organized Dalton Camp's campaign to dump Mr Diefenbaker): the Old Chief took the podium and began, as one does, by addressing the Party executive ... when he came to Flora he said something like, "Oh, yes, and Miss MacDonald, the finest woman to ever walk the streets of Kingston!" The great thing was that Flora enjoyed that story.  :nod:

I met Ms. Macdonald, briefly, in 1994 in Rwanda.  As ERC mentioned, she was a pleasant woman though the situation at the time did not lend itself to witty conversation.  She was likely there in conjunction with her role with IDRC or one of the NGOs that she had ties to.  She showed up at OP PASSAGE simply because she (and two companions) was passing our location and, needing a place to sleep for the night, thought our Canadian flag was likely a sign that hospitality (enough floor space to lay out their sleeping bags) would be offered. 

There was a brief piece about her on CBC Radio's The Current this morning when they played an interview from 1988 following her election defeat.  Her anecdote about her experience at National Defence College was amusing - she was the first woman to attend the program (1971-72).  http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/mp-and-cabinet-minister-flora-macdonald-unseated-in-1988  That anecdote can be found at the 3:03 timemark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back