• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

First dog to deploy with a ship’s crew through a pilot program meant to address mental health and resiliency

OceanBonfire

Reaction score
j2v648j.jpg

Ships cats and dogs are much more than just mascots or to chase rats. During times of high stress they'd be real Combat First Aiders for people who are on the verge of breakdown.

Ships cats and dogs are much more than just mascots or to chase rats. During times of high stress they'd be real Combat First Aiders for people who are on the verge of breakdown.
I'd belive it.

My memory fades more and more over the years about folks I served with overseas; names, faces, the mundane and the stressful....

I can fondly remember the names of our camp animals that we took on as mascots and regimental pets. Some of them I can still keep tabs on as my buddies go on follow on Rotos.

Sometimes spending 20 minutes with a dog or cat is what you need to recharge the batteries. Especially when you're sick to death of dealing with people.

I'd belive it.

My memory fades more and more over the years about folks I served with overseas; names, faces, the mundane and the stressful....

I can fondly remember the names of our camp animals that we took on as mascots and regimental pets. Some of them I can still keep tabs on as my buddies go on follow on Rotos.

Sometimes spending 20 minutes with a dog or cat is what you need to recharge the batteries. Especially when you're sick to death of dealing with people.
Absolutely! We had a black German shepherd ex-ANA working dog (EOD) with us in AFG. He was like our pet/MH dude, but doubled as a 4-footed CP detachment. Did a lot of walking around in the open, all times of the day, and particularly at night, he’d tuck in to a solid heel position with his lead loosely swaying between him and whoever was handling him, and a smooth crouched-rear walk and ears standing up like antenna. I think he freaked out the local Afghans, who weren’t big on dog anyways, let alone massive well-disciplined dogs. That said, once he was back inside our high-fenced compound he was a goofball that loved to play fetch with various pieces of the team’s kit, just to get us to play with him. He was definitely good for our mental health in an otherwise chaotic place.

Having spent time with the Chilean Navy's patrol vessels, which each had a ship's dog, I can confirm that it was all pros and little to no cons. I've been saying for a decade now that we need to introduce them to the RCN, at the very least alongside to start.

But if you're in an Infantry Company, Engineer Squadron or Artillery Battery you're SOL because there's no way a dog or cat is going to be following you around and, if you break down, you might actually be a little more useful on the battlefield ;)

But if you're in an Infantry Company, Engineer Squadron or Artillery Battery you're SOL because there's no way a dog or cat is going to be following you around and, if you break down, you might actually be a little more useful on the battlefield ;)
Half of the World War 1 and 2 photos of Canadian Army units in the field seem to feature the unit/sub-unit mascot dog and or cat.

Half of the World War 1 and 2 photos of Canadian Army units in the field seem to feature the unit/sub-unit mascot dog and or cat.

My grandfather told me about one of those 'trench dogs' ... the rats killed and ate it ;)

Sargeant Gander's Dickin Medal citation reads:

"For saving the lives of Canadian infantrymen during the Battle of Lye Mun on Hong Kong Island in December 1941… Twice Gander’s attacks halted the enemy’s advance and protected groups of wounded soldiers. In a final act of bravery, the war dog was killed in action gathering a grenade. Without Gander’s intervention, many more lives would have been lost in the assault.”

Gander_inset-2.png

Back