• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

EOD ?

NFLD Sapper said:
You must complete the CMD basic course and for what I have heard for most reservists that is as far as you will go.

Yup - currently, unless there are operational circumstances dictating, PRes members will not be loaded onto any further EOD training past CMD(B). At the last CF EOD working group in Nov, all of the EOD teams across the CF had to vie for the limited amount of seats on courses this year, and they have an actual requirement to have qualified pers. CMD Advanced (commonly known as HB) seats are diminishing over the next year or so, and IEDD Operator and IEDD Assistant course prereqs specifically state "must be employed in or selected for IEDD duties", so unless the PRes member is currently employed in EOD duties with a RegF team, the chances of getting onto either of these is pretty small. Not nil, just pretty small.

In short, unless the OP wants to CT to RegF, the odds of getting any further EOD trg is pretty limited.

Is it still the case that EOD training in PRes is hard to come by?

Yes. PRes units don't have the equipment for EOD. It is a Reg Force job. It is something that requires constant training on a full time basis. If you want to go EOD you will have to go Reg Force.

It just came out that PRes members will not get any more seats on the CMD Basic courses anymore.....

NFLD Sapper said:
It just came out that PRes members will not get any more seats on the CMD Basic courses anymore.....
now that is freaking ridiculous; pretty soon the only trg they'll receive is the tools package - pres units will be pick and shovel sqns...

PanaEng said:
now that is freaking ridiculous; pretty soon the only trg they'll receive is the tools package - pres units will be pick and shovel sqns...

Yup, and what's going to happen when PRes Engineers needs to deploy but doesn't have CMD? Cram them all on a fast tracked course right before they leave?

Teager said:
Yup, and what's going to happen when PRes Engineers needs to deploy but doesn't have CMD? Cram them all on a fast tracked course right before they leave?

And here I thought that we were going through a "Lessons Learned" phase in the peacetime army. Seems like they're not learning anything.

Shouldnt be surprised by this....I've seen a ton of things learned from Afghanistan being ignored on the reason that we are not in Afghanistan anymore......such short sightedness

Teager said:

That's exactly what they did for guys in 2008, and pretty sure the dudes on 1-10 had the same deal, which is why they were tasked up to pet +1 year prior to tour.

As for the lessons learned...well...2011 we roll out on a big, conventional, 'back to real soldiering' brigade ex, where we were specifically told to 'forget afghanistan'. First scenario I pull up on is an infantry coy held up because of a couple of IED's in the road (melmac plates no less, the DS didn't even try for goodness sakes).

Couple of hours later, I find myself in a shura with local elders (sick lame and lazy from the brigade) when a suicide bomber, complete with keffiyeh, blows himself up.

You couldn't make it up.

Towards_the_gap said:
That's exactly what they did for guys in 2008, and pretty sure the dudes on 1-10 had the same deal, which is why they were tasked up to pet +1 year prior to tour.

As for the lessons learned...well...2011 we roll out on a big, conventional, 'back to real soldiering' brigade ex, where we were specifically told to 'forget afghanistan'. First scenario I pull up on is an infantry coy held up because of a couple of IED's in the road (melmac plates no less, the DS didn't even try for goodness sakes).

Couple of hours later, I find myself in a shura with local elders (sick lame and lazy from the brigade) when a suicide bomber, complete with keffiyeh, blows himself up.

You couldn't make it up.

:rofl:

Talk about embarrassing. They want us to be efficient warfighters and all that, and knowing that the Reserve Force was a huge contributor to the operations in the sandbox, but they turn around and take take take away tools, skills, courses to make us better and more efficient not just in warfighting but domestic ops, disaster relief, and peace keeping.

Towards_the_gap said:

I got tossed on my CMD right before work up training even began. That was 2006 so I'm not sure if CMD was given out to PRes then or just shelved like it is now. Anyway there was a bunch of guys on the course that needed it and were deploying within a week. They were not happy since they had to give up some of there leave right before deploying to do the CMD. Oh and the course ran over the Christmas break which annoyed the instructors a lot along with most of the course members.

Nevermind the fact that the course itself is a joke (I had to take it on transferring from the British Army to Canadian Army), you could accomplish all the PO's and EO's in a day, considering that the only thing I ever applied from that course was CCMC and CCC. EOR? give me a break

exactly, and that hasn't changed since 89. Maybe add a couple of days for recognition of UXO.
That can even be covered in-house at the units.

PanaEng said:

That's exactly what the mo is now. My unit doesn't even do demolitions anymore

Xinny said:
That's exactly what the mo is now. My unit doesn't even do demolitions anymore

That's a failure of your units leadership. My unit does at a minimum one Dml range a year to keep up EBTS Standards.

NFLD Sapper said:
PanaEng said:

And now they do a complete 180, CFSME-RETS will run a CMD Basic for the PRes this summer....

Back