• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Enhanced Reliability Check (ERC) - Merged

I did my medical February 12, 2019, went well. I was told to wait for ottawa to get back to me for next step as they are doing a background check on me. Any idea from experience from anyone as to how long this will take and what happens in the next phase?.

The reason I am asking is because my recruiting officer said by march I will get notified and the person that did my medical exam said they would get back to me by august. I just want to know the correct time frame for this step.

thank you.

Position applied for: Regular Infantry.

nextup said:
I did my medical February 12, 2019, went well. I was told to wait for ottawa to get back to me for next step as they are doing a background check on me. Any idea from experience from anyone as to how long this will take and what happens in the next phase?.

The reason I am asking is because my recruiting officer said by march I will get notified and the person that did my medical exam said they would get back to me by august. I just want to know the correct time frame for this step.

thank you.

Position applied for: Regular Infantry.

It will all depend on your background (i.e. how long have you lived/travelled/lived abroad) that will impact how long the security check will take. If you've been doing yoga in India, Kung Fu training in China or racing Camel in Yemen then you can be sure that it'll take a while. They usually say it can take up to 18 months. but don't be surprised if it takes longer.

SH

Hi all,

I applied for ACSO and I passed Aircrew selection a month ago. 8 days later one of my references told me she has been contacted. 2 days after that I received a call from someone looking to double-check an information regarding my professional background (since I was my own boss for a period of 2 years). He said "thank you, that's all I wanted to verify", and said "yes" when I asked if this call was part of the background check process. I found it encouraging to receive such call but I wonder if the process was close to completion or if it can still take months before I'm good to go (I regret I didn't ask more questions when I had this guy on the phone!). I heard that references are contacted at the end of the background check process though. Besides, since I had to fill an extensive set of paperwork when I applied for permanent residency and citizenship (I'm a french citizen), aren't they supposed to get most of their information from Immigration? For instance I had to provide many criminal record extracts from all the countries where I spent 6 months or more in the past 10 years, all my adresses and jobs for the same period, all my trips in and out of Canada etc. Reviewing the history of a brand new citizen should be an easy job, isn't it?

Reviewing the history of a brand new citizen is harder than reviewing the history of a citizen that has been in Canada 10 years, 20 years or their entire life.
In regards to sharing your information with Canada Immigration & Citizenship; you gave them that information for your Immigration; not for employment - unless there is a "sharing agreement" in place between Government Agencies, your private information isn't shared among agencies (except for law enforcement under court order / subpoena, and orders of that nature) - as such although you already provided it to CIC, you still need to provide the information to the CAF.  It would be no different than if you applied to a Provincial Job that required the background check, you'd need to provide it to them as well.

Hello, I'm re-applying to the military since my file was closed a few months ago. I have a few questions:

-How long is the background check valid for? I ask because my references were called during a background check a few months ago for another occupation before my file was closed, and the recruiter told me that they 'might' perform another background check but also that they may not have to as it was fairly recent.
-In the 'employment history' part of the background check, are the employers called only to attain information regarding the duration of employment, or is it more detailed (i.e. asking about performance, character, etc.)? Because I merely wrote down 'human resources' as the form asked for "name of contact" and "contact number" instead of providing a manager's contact information for example. Will this be an issue?

Hello,

Is there anyone who knows the difference between a background check and a pre-security assessment? I was under the impression that the pre-security assessment was part of a background check, however, the interactions with the CFRC made me rethink my understanding. For example, sometime last week, when I called CFRC-Kingston to get an update on my file, I was told that the background check came back all good, and I was soon to be put on the competition list for the trades of my selection, however, when I checked in yesterday, I was told that the background check has not started yet, and I need to have a pre-security assessment before I can be put on the competition list. :eek: So, what is going on exactly?  ???

I would really appreciate some input on this situation from any knowledgeable forum member up here.

Thanks

OblivionKnight said:
Hello, I'm re-applying to the military since my file was closed a few months ago. I have a few questions:

-How long is the background check valid for? I ask because my references were called during a background check a few months ago for another occupation before my file was closed, and the recruiter told me that they 'might' perform another background check but also that they may not have to as it was fairly recent.
-In the 'employment history' part of the background check, are the employers called only to attain information regarding the duration of employment, or is it more detailed (i.e. asking about performance, character, etc.)? Because I merely wrote down 'human resources' as the form asked for "name of contact" and "contact number" instead of providing a manager's contact information for example. Will this be an issue?
To your first question an update will be completed, the CAF will always want the most up to date information before enrolling you. As to your second question putting HR isn't an issue; if they're asking questions HR can't answer that should give a managers name.  For example I was actually contacted a number of years ago by the RCMP by an ex military member joining them, I was put down as the HR contact; I answered as much as I could and then referred them to the manager for that member. Worse case scenario you will be asked to provide more information should it be required.  Don't overthink the process... :)

Holedigger said:
Hello,

Is there anyone who knows the difference between a background check and a pre-security assessment? I was under the impression that the pre-security assessment was part of a background check, however, the interactions with the CFRC made me rethink my understanding. For example, sometime last week, when I called CFRC-Kingston to get an update on my file, I was told that the background check came back all good, and I was soon to be put on the competition list for the trades of my selection, however, when I checked in yesterday, I was told that the background check has not started yet, and I need to have a pre-security assessment before I can be put on the competition list. :eek: So, what is going on exactly?  ???

I would really appreciate some input on this situation from any knowledgeable forum member up here.

Thanks

The pre-security assessment is to determine if someone would require a pre-security check done; normally this is for individuals who have foreign implications (i.e. who've lived outside of Canada in the last 5 years; have relatives living outside of Canada; have financial assets / land outside of Canada). Pre-security Assessments require information from foreign governments (i.e. the FBI for individuals who have USA implications, etc).
The background check is done after the pre-security assessment and is done for your "Canada" background.

Being told that your background check was completed; and then being told that you had to have a pre-assessment sounds like a recruiter may have had a different file open in error in either your 1st or 2nd phone call (this happens from time to time and is a system glitch; I've been working with the system for 5 years so I realize when it happens, not all recruiters realize their system didn't update properly for them).

I would reach back to your CFRC and verify where your background checks are.

[size=14pt]After 14 months, I got an email from my recruiter saying that I failed in the Pre-Enrolment Security Clearance Check. He also added that I am on a second level security check right now.

Does anyone know what second-level security check is, or is it just another Pre-Enrolment Security Clearance Check?

Aren't you disqualified already if you are denied a security clearance?
[/size]

Hello all

I am preparing my forms for 10 years background check. I just remembered I have a dormant bank account less than 800 CAD in another country. It has been dormant for roughly 4 years and i have no intention of re-activating it since I became a citizen of Canada already. Will they require me additional document for that? Will it afftect my security and reliabiity screening?

Jiminito said:
Is it a good idea to fill out 330-60 while waiting for Pre-Enrolment Screen decision? Given dual citizenship, lived abroad within past 10years, and have immediate family in a foreign country.

Hunterx said:
I am preparing my forms for 10 years background check. (...)

Hi, mates!
Since many posts on this thread concerns level 3 clearance check, I will give it a go. Hope it is the right place.
I am in similar scenario as these two buddies: I am a canadian citizen living in Brazil for 11 years, and I am filling up a 330-60. I also have been in Brazilian Army but now I am free of any military obligations in Brazil, since I am older than 45 y.o. But since it was the fact that I have been refused the level 3 clearance in 2006, then I am still afraid that they refuse it again, even if I can't be mobilized by brazilian army as I could be in 2006. And I still have debts in Canada to take care of.  :-[

So, my question is: In the 330-60, in the section M, I am supposed to present the reference of an actual neighboor who LIVES in Canada, and who have met me for at least 6 months. Or, in case I can't present an actual neighboor, I can present a neighboor who LIVES in Canada, and who have met me for at least 6 months during the past 5 years.
Well, since I am living outside Canada for 11 years, what should I do? [:'(
Leave that field empty and explain preciselly that I can't satisfy none of the two requests?

Yet about the 330-60, for the section I, I've read that we should pay attention to avoid leaving gaps, as well as to avoid overlapping periods, in the way to avoid extra time to be taken in the verifications.
So, in a first situation in the past, I've been unemployed for 1 year, then I started some studies, but I was still unemployed. Should I say that my unemployed period has finished when I started the studies?
In another situation, while I was doing those studies, I've got my actual job. Should I say that the final date of the studies has been the month preceding the begin of the job?

If anyone is stuck in similar situations, or if one has knowledge to point me out some helping directions, I will be glad to hear from.
Thanks in advance!
I love you, Veterans!  :salute:

Hey

Your best advisor would be your recruiter,I guess. I am also in the same scenario where i had unemployments while studying then got a job while studying the same course. So if i am
going to insert the period where i was studying While being employed and unemployed ,it will mess up the chronological order and will sure make someone got confused going over it.  So instead of inserting the education i was doing between the unemployment and enployment periods ,i am planning to place them all  in an extra word document with brief and clear explanations.....

macarena said:
(...)
So, my question is: In the 330-60, in the section M, I am supposed to present the reference of an actual neighboor who LIVES in Canada, and who have met me for at least 6 months. Or, in case I can't present an actual neighboor, I can present a neighboor who LIVES in Canada, and who have met me for at least 6 months during the past 5 years.
Well, since I am living outside Canada for 11 years, what should I do? [:'(
Leave that field empty and explain preciselly that I can't satisfy none of the two requests?
(...)

I would like to express my humble apologizes for the above part of my request, since I had the answer all the time. I can't erase that part, then I wil try to expose the solution, in the hope it can help anyone else in similar situation, and reduce the impact of my mistake.

In fact, I've got the 330-60 from an email of the agent which is dealing with my case. And in his email he DOES clarify preciselly, clear enough, that in the section M, my references DO NOT NEED to be living in Canada, but does need to talk in english.
Then, when the form ask about a neighboor, we are intended to present some actual neighboor living outside Canada as we are.

So simple, coming from the Recruitment!
So dumb from me!
:salute:

I learned that CSIS completed a security clearance about a year ago as requirement for canadian citizenship, only thing is the level
Of security clearance wasn’t indicated when i asked IRCC agent about it .Just wanna know if this will help out and speed up my security, background and any screening checks, in so much that nothing big has changed in my status ,same immediate relative living abroad , and havent traveled abroad .In addition to that, my employment references here in canada  have already been called. Thanks

Just a question that someone might be able to clear up for me.

When is the enhanced reliability screening done? Is it granted as part of the background check during the application process, or do they run it during BMQ when you hand in the TBS 330-60E form?

And if it's done during BMQ and you aren't granted the clearance, do you get released at that point?

ForTheLoveOfThePeople said:
Just a question that someone might be able to clear up for me.

When is the enhanced reliability screening done? Is it granted as part of the background check during the application process, or do they run it during BMQ when you hand in the TBS 330-60E form?

And if it's done during BMQ and you aren't granted the clearance, do you get released at that point?

Hi,

The ERC is done as part of the background check, when your background check is completed, the ERC should be completed as well. It is not done during BMQ.

Holedigger

I applied for Reg service about 9 weeks ago and successfully did the CFAT test. I qualified under the trade I wanted. CFRC has not contacted me yet so I called last week and they said my file is pending due to the security screening process not being finalized. I'm a PMQ brat just got back from OUTCAN posting with my father who just retired from the Air Force upon our return from overseas. Now according to the Forces website (enrolment steps), I should have been given an interview or a medical BEFORE my file progresses for security verifications, yet the CFRC says they cannot proceed further with my file until the security screening comes back as valid. I check on this forum and most people that applied got their medical / interview a few days after doing their CFAT..Has anyone else been thru the same hoops? Thanks Ottawa CFRC
Hello airlog, I have also done with my CFAT, Fitness and Medicals now run for PRESEC which is told from 6 months to 2 years and in this time not necessary that I may get trade and position I was looking for. I am in Ottawa too. Please share is your out of Canada is more than 5 years or less. I learned that any time more than 6 months stay in past 10 years will let you go through PRESEC process from 6 months to 2 years. Not sure now how long it will take. I have submitted Form 23 and Form 60 as part of my security clearance.

Hello airlog, I have also done with my CFAT, Fitness and Medicals now run for PRESEC which is told from 6 months to 2 years and in this time not necessary that I may get trade and position I was looking for. I am in Ottawa too. Please share is your out of Canada is more than 5 years or less. I learned that any time more than 6 months stay in past 10 years will let you go through PRESEC process from 6 months to 2 years. Not sure now how long it will take. I have submitted Form 23 and Form 60 as part of my security clearance.
Being in Ottawa won't make a difference. It generally if you lived overseas within the last decade or so. And usually the length to determine residency is 6 months in most places. A presec, depending on countries involved and other complicating factors can take up to a couple of years. Some will get it quicker. I as lucky and i got mine fairly quickly. Just be precise with your documentation and filling out the form. It not perfect it can add time to your clearance. Best of luck.

Back