• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

End of Contract Release

Gsc

Gsc
Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I had a question I was hoping some people with experience can answer. Im within 6 months of finishing my initial contract. Due to family reasons I have decided to turn down my contract offer and take the move back to my enrollment address. I can't seem to find information on what actually happens next, all I've done do far is turn down the offer and know my contract end date.

I want to release to the reserves, is this hard or messy to do?

Will my final date be changed or is it guarantee to be the end date of my contract?

Is my move home a full move through BGRS? Househunting trip involved?

Thanks

Hey everyone,

I had a question I was hoping some people with experience can answer. Im within 6 months of finishing my initial contract. Due to family reasons I have decided to turn down my contract offer and take the move back to my enrollment address. I can't seem to find information on what actually happens next, all I've done do far is turn down the offer and know my contract end date.

Will my final date be changed or is it guarantee to be the end date of my contract?

Thanks
There is a release process you will begin going through. Speak with your CoC and start getting the administration squared away for that.

Every base has Release Section that is there to assist you.

Also, get a My VAC account through Veterans Affairs. There is a checklist that you can access there that lays out all the steps.

Above is definitely a solid answer, but if I may: do some research yourself. Heck, hit up google and start. I did (just now), because I came to this thread thinking "Hmm... I actually don't know the answer to any of this, I wonder if there is anything in here."

The link above seemed up to date (based on the date on the page, I cannot ACTUALLY say it reflects the process and steps as it currently is). It had a lot of information, and an aide memoire. At the very least - arming yourself with this information puts you in a place to ask the right questions once you do engage with your CoC and your base release section.

Hey everyone,

Thanks
Transferring to the reserve unit is usually pretty easy, particularly if you are in an occupation that also exists in the reserves. It does not hurt to make contact with the unit(s) wherever you intend to live post-release and see what they have on offer.

To release into the reserves you need to secure a position first.

Thanks, I started inquiring with units.

Does anyone know if you qualify for EI on a 4b release, contract end? I would like to go to school and upgrade.

Just the four years, I am hopefully going to the reserves and will use the program for that.

The ETB is only available once you have 2191 days of paid service* and then either release or transfer to the Supp Res. However, there is an educational reimbursement benefit in the Reserves that will provide up to $2000 a year for up to four years. I had some peripheral involvement in its initial design and implementation.

Unfortunately I would to at least be on ei to be able.to go back to school

After doing some research I feel I may have made a bad choice in choosing not to resign. Do I have any options for cancelling my refusal to end my contract?

Thanks you in advance

After doing some research I feel I may have made a bad choice in choosing not to resign. Do I have any options for cancelling my refusal to end my contract?

Thanks you in advance
Yeah it's very common just ask your chain of command. They might need a memo but the process itself is pretty fast

Thanks you in advance
If you are planning to release, it's best to begin planning an exit strategy well before you pull the trigger.

Build up an emergency fund, pay off your debt and have enough money to cover 3-6 months expenses once you leave as it could take some time to find employment.

Is it really that easy? I feel like I made a huge mistake based on a bad train of thought at the time I refused and I'd be in a very bad place releasing

Is it really that easy? I feel like I made a huge mistake based on a bad train of thought at the time I refused and I'd be in a very bad place releasing
Like I said, you need to have a plan.

I am releasing this summer but I've saved up enough money, my spouse has a job and I'm in the throws of lining up employment as soon as I am done.

Everyone's circumstance is different but there are a lot of programs available if you are willing to put in some effort and look.

Do you have a Resume created? Have you registered with VAC? How long has you been in? What qualifications do you have?

I don't have a rock solid plan, And I really don't have much to leave the military with as I've only been in for 4 years. I'm older and like I said I really made a mistake by turning down my offer. I was more asking if it was really that easy to go back on my offer and try to stay in and accept the contract that they offered me again

I don't have a rock solid plan, And I really don't have much to leave the military with as I've only been in for 4 years. I'm older and like I said I really made a mistake by turning down my offer. I was more asking if it was really that easy to go back on my offer and try to stay in and accept the contract that they offered me again
Talk to you chain of command. Assuming that you have no discipline or conduct issues against you, pulling a release memo will likely be met with joy from your boss and your Career Manager.

Thanks, I'm not pulling a release memo though. I already refused my contract and have six months left. I want to now accept that offer as I made a very bad decision.

Thanks, I'm not pulling a release memo though. I already refused my contract and have six months left. I want to now accept that offer as I made a very bad decision.
Ok. Go speak to your chain of command and say exactly that.

Back