• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

elliptical machines??????

L

lfejoel25

Hey all, I've got to redo mt PT test before my swear in date of jan 20th.  And i've been using the elliptical machine instead of a treadmill lately, the reason for that being, the elliptical is easier on my legs than the treadmill, so i can go longer.  i was just wondering if any of you guys knew, how does an elliptical machine compare to a run on a treadmill in terms of a cardio workout?  i want the best workout possible, I CAN"T FAIL THIS PT TEST!!!!!!!

I have to agree with mo-litia on this one. From my own personal experience, I can tell you that elliptical trainers are easy on the legs, but they do not compare with using the treadmill. I fell into the same trap, and as a result failed my first test as well. I was doing about 45 minutes at a stretch, thinking I would kick some a*s on the test, and it was close, but in the end I flunked. So, I went on the treadmill, and at first had trouble doing even 5 minutes at a stretch, so all that time on the elliptical trainer was pretty much wasted.

Plus, if you're like me, you might need some stress on your joints and ankles to prepare you for the rigours of training when you do get into basic. I found also that when doing the step test, I really felt it in my lower back at the end of the second segement, and running on the treadmill has helped that as well. But, hey, I'm pretty old, and was very out of shape. If you can't run for very long, slow down to a walk for a minute or two and then run again until you can't run no mo'.

Hope this helps -- I saw your post and said "dang, this is exactly my situation." I have my second test in January and hopefully I will squeak in to my reserve training which starts on Jan. 28.

Good luck!

Best advice - talk to a Personal Trainer at your gym. If you can afford it, take a session or two, if not, they usually offer free "program consultations"... At least Goodlife Canada does.

Also, research cardio target zone training on the internet. You should be in the upper ranges of your zone if you are trying to increase capacity...  if you are a young male, usually this is around 170 bpm.

Rule of thumb if you have nothing to identify this with is that you shouldn't be able to freely talk, but you should be able to talk without sputtering as you run.  While this is very subjective, its a good guide to tell if you are pushing your target zone, or keeping at the best pace possible.

Whether you use eliptical, bike, treadmill or old-fashioned running, if you are hitting your target zone, as far as cardio is concerned, it doesnt matter.

Good advice in these posts.

Something else to consider is the training you'll get in BMQ and what you may have to do in your military
career.  You may want to ween off the elliptical trainer and focus more on jogging and running.

The thing about BMQ and training you'll get in your military career requires alot of physical stamina.
Not only is good cardio needed (as what you may develop on the elliptical trainer), but the physical
conditioning of the feet, calves, and the legs needed on long marches.  You won't develop
leg conditioning with the elliptical trainer.  Jogging and running will challenge your cardio and
develop physical endurance much quicker.

In BMQ, you'll be marching many kilometers with webbing and ruck-sacks at a pretty good pace
(plus drill and regular PT) and what gets you isn't necessarily cardio but muscle fatigue which limits
endurance.  Nothing is better than jogging and running.  As mentioned in a prior post, get good
training advice from a pro if you're not sure how to go about it.

Keep running and rucking. Use the elliptical trainer for some extra cardio, or to supplement your running. Use it to stay fit and keep things going if you suffer a mild injury, or you're just wanting to give the knees and ankles a break. Good luck.

TM

thanks guys, you helped me out, i decided to run, i already went for a run tonight for 20 mins, then took it slow on the elliptical for 3 minutes, then walked for 2 minutes to cool down.  i like those elliptical machines, i just didn't want to use them if they weren't going to be the best.

Remember... anything below 2-3 minutes is considered anaerobic (sp?) insofar as I was taught...

As was previously said you will be going significant distances (for marches much longer than 20 mins... at least all mine were, 20 was a quick jaunt in the park, so to speak). I did one day of 22 hours of marching... competition and all but still.

Anyway, try to go as long as possible at your target zone. Distance doesn't matter so much as your target zone and duration of training.

keep pushing it a bit more every day on duration, and you should be good if you are keeping your target rate intact.

If you need a good min standard, try for an 8 minute mile. But you should be able to run more than 1 mile. :)

Back