• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Drumming Out?

JesseWZ

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Reaction score
Cat said:
I'm all for the blanket party or the drumming out - or both
I am not sure if this is a topic split or not... I do agree with the majority of users on here regarding anti-monarchist tendencies. If that is the case, the CF is not for you. I am loyal to the Queen and Canada Full stop.

I have heard the term drumming out bandied about here a bit and I was wondering if someone could share a little context for a young subordinate officer. I did a search and turned up nothing that appeared to match my inquiries. If an officer were to be drummed out it would be done at a parade no? And would the officers commission be "removed" at the time as well as rank?
I am also curious as to how often this occurs now.
Thanks in advance.

Edit: Thanks Mods for splitting and moving to the correct board.

See here, (Unofficial)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKmJPnAGUJk

EDIT: In your minds eye, picture the back drop of the Arch at RMC, seems like a good a place as any.

Seems very much how I envisioned it. Thank you.

There was a Sgt in the VIII CH in Germany who was for all intents and purposes "drummed out" of the Regiment.  The $%# in question was a pedophile and had been caught.  As was the custom in those days (late 80's) he was summed up an cleared out of CFE post haste.  When this POS was cleared out of the regiment the CO had the entire Unit formed up lining both sides of the pad outside the Tank Hangars in the North Marg.  The person was then marched out of the Marg in front of all the troops which did an about turn as he passed them.

"The Arch" would be too good.  At the USNA they use a secondary entrance for that purpose.

^Unfortunately, I do not possess much knowledge of RMC.

Doesn't "The Arch" (there is probably a proper name, forgive me but, I don't know it) hold some sort of significance?, I remember reading (watching?) somewhere that the Cadets (1st year I think) have this ceremony in which after they have this day (week?) long exercise of sorts, they then get dressed up in all there best bib and tucker and march through "The Arch" for the first time?

I'm sure I'm right out of it on some of the details but, I can't find a link at the moment to the exact ceremony.

I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the only time anybody marched through the aforementioned arch while in uniform was upon graduation from RMC; as such, it seems almost sacriligious to use it for the purpose of "drumming out" this blight on the CF. 

I've never seen anybody tarred and feathered, but I bet it'd be a real hoot to watch.

Then send him through it in the reversed direction.

To add a bit of trivia to this, the term drumming out originates from actual drumming.  If what I've learned in history is correct, during the red coat days, the drummers would line the path to the gate and beat their drum with snare released.

Back