• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Don't know what to do

Ok, so if you haven’t completed BMQ or your trade course, then dealing with untrained troops in a reseve unit is always challenging as there are rules they have to follow about what you can and can’t do. If they are putting you in a CP it’s likely to give you exposure to the types of things you will need to know. CPs being one of the more important ones.

As for the Turban issue it may be that they might not know. That’s fair, I would expect they get informed and apply the appropriate rules and accomodations.

I once corrected a troop that had to wear special under garments. He had a white t shirt under his green one. I found out that it was a religious thing. We actually did some research and found out we could purchase special green ones from the US and got them for him so win win. But I would never have guessed that was a thing.

Give it time.
This is exactly my rationale for it now and I think it will get better. I think right now it's best for me to focus on how to do well and pass BMQ and trade quailification.

Wait, so you want a more active role in the field, your unit is disorganized, and there are bigots.

Why are you sticking with that unit rather than asking to change units (if there are others in your area)?
I would need to get laser eye surgery done because I don't qualify for other trades I don't think their bigots maybe that was the wrong term for me to use more so they are less informed on how to work with someone with a turban in no fault of theirs as it seems I'm the only turbaned Sikh in my unit. I think it is best for me to stick in this unit in which over time they will be more educated and if they have any questions they can ask me as well.

It concerns me that your Sgt Major doesn’t know that turbans are allowed and that he’s never heard of MND Sajjan.

. . . just a much older Sgt Major in the unit . . . because the policy for permitting to wear a turban came later on in his career and maybe not be accustomed to changes or may have a different view of it.

A different view? He doesn't get a different view, his job is to know and apply already well established policy. Later in his career? Well, I remember the discussion about this around the time I was commissioned (mid 1980s). It then took several years for a policy in the CAF to jell (following well publicized angst in the RCMP and Legion halls across Canada). The policy was already established when one of my officers got his issued turban (he was having a traditional Sikh wedding - he wanted to be in uniform - other soldiers attending wore a rumāl in the temple); that was in 1998, twenty-three years ago. If this Sgt-Maj hasn't been aware of how the world and the CAF has evolved in the past quarter century, then he either deliberately had his head in the sand or was born with it up his ass.

If this Sgt-Maj hasn't been aware of how the world and the CAF has evolved in the past quarter century, then he either deliberately had his head in the sand or was born with it up his ass.

... and should be dealt with through the usual disciplinary channels.

Something odd is going on with this. Turbans aren't exactly anything new. I don't know the actual numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sikhs were actually overrepresented in the forces. This may not be as obvious as many Sikhs don't wear a turban., although many still wear the armband. The way the dress regs are worded, all Sikhs are required to wear the turban and other vestments of their faith including the kirpan (which I have never seen anyone wear in uniform). I don't think that that was the CAF's intent when they wrote them, but that's what they say.

Something odd is going on with this. Turbans aren't exactly anything new. I don't know the actual numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sikhs were actually overrepresented in the forces. This may not be as obvious as many Sikhs don't wear a turban., although many still wear the armband. The way the dress regs are worded, all Sikhs are required to wear the turban and other vestments of their faith including the kirpan (which I have never seen anyone wear in uniform). I don't think that that was the CAF's intent when they wrote them, but that's what they say.
Maybe a troll?

A different view? He doesn't get a different view, his job is to know and apply already well established policy. Later in his career? Well, I remember the discussion about this around the time I was commissioned (mid 1980s). It then took several years for a policy in the CAF to jell (following well publicized angst in the RCMP and Legion halls across Canada). The policy was already established when one of my officers got his issued turban (he was having a traditional Sikh wedding - he wanted to be in uniform - other soldiers attending wore a rumāl in the temple); that was in 1998, twenty-three years ago. If this Sgt-Maj hasn't been aware of how the world and the CAF has evolved in the past quarter century, then he either deliberately had his head in the sand or was born with it up his ass.
Absolutely correct. We had the first orthodox Sikh recruit in CFRS Cornwallis in 1986. Turbans were allowed then.

There is a quote "ought to have known". As a Sergeant Major its his duty to keep informed of dress regs etc. He has clearly failed.

It's whatever what matters is BMQ if my course staff is unaware of this what should I do?

It's whatever what matters is BMQ if my course staff is unaware of this what should I do?
I wish you good luck as a Sig. I've been browsing reddit and oh man, the big majority who complain are Army and the majority from Army are Sigs. I'm sure many Army trades are also tough.

Hope you at least like camping /s

This is my favorite
4e7dfuvj6wm71.jpg

Back