• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Donald Rumsfeld Resigns

Not a fan of Rumsfeld.  I agree with the ascertation that there were too many instances during the past three or so years since the Iraq War started that he should have heeded warnings and taken advice presented to him by his military commanders.  The fact was, he was not utilizing them- and as far as I'm concerned, he had no exit strategy for Iraq.  I recall reading a statement he made that he felt the war wouldn't last more than six months, and I feel that his entire plan of operations was designed around that initial assessment- and then when things started to go south of cheese over there (or at the very least, not according to the 'schedule' Rumsfeld had for Iraq), he really had no particular idea of what to do next.  The whole 'staying the course' mentality is proof of that.  Stay the course- you mean do exactly what we're doing now, and have been doing for the past 3 years, which proven counter-productive, given that the violence in that nation continues to increase.

Well, I hope the new guy that's taking over Rummys job is up to the task of coming up with some new material on this war, because Rumsfeld stuff was getting pretty weak.

Bobby Rico said:
Well, I hope the new guy that's taking over Rummys job is up to the task of coming up with some new material on this war, because Rumsfeld stuff was getting pretty weak.

I realize military experience may not count for much today in many government slots, but for a defense secretary it certainly couldn't hurt. I might be wrong, but I don't think his replacement Gates has ever served in the military.   

Gates will be a caretaker until a new President assumes office in 09. Gates will execute the Baker plan for drawing down US forces in Iraq. I dont see a total withdrawal maybe a reduction to one division's worth of troops.I see this drawdown occuring by early 08 to take Iraq off the table as a campaign issue.

a_majoor said:
A thought:

This election was pushed in the MSM as a referendum on the handling of the War in Iraq. How do the Democrats propose to win the war? Anyone..........Anyone.............Bueller?
Simple
They'll send in F.A.G., because they know all

(Film Actors' Guild, naturally.  When I say "fag", I don't mean anything as nasty as cigarettes)

:D

tomahawk6 said:
Gates will be a caretaker until a new President assumes office in 09. Gates will execute the Baker plan for drawing down US forces in Iraq. I dont see a total withdrawal maybe a reduction to one division's worth of troops.I see this drawdown occuring by early 08 to take Iraq off the table as a campaign issue.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figure Gates is there for- Rumsfelds resignation I see as a lot of political posturing on the Republican's part (primarily George Bush's republican camp).  They're saving face by giving Rummy the heave-ho (even though he officially resigned, I think the Bush camp pretty much demanded it from him).  I really don't see a lot coming out of Gates.  He's CIA, and traditionally the civil intelligence community and the military community have not exactly shared the same views on things.

And I'm definitely in agreement with you Cliff.  As far as I'm concerned, it should be MANDATORY for Defence secretaries (and in our case, ministers of defence) to have some real military experience.  A pipe dream I know...but I think a pretty darn good one.

A good article

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-op-kagan12nov12,0,3425133.story?track=tothtml

Rumsfeld's self-inflicted wounds
The outgoing defense secretary was too focused on transforming the military, and failed to plan for achieving political goals in Iraq.
By Frederick W. Kagan
Frederick W. Kagan is a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute and the author of "Finding the Target: The Transformation of the American Military."

November 12, 2006

DONALD RUMSFELD had the chance to be one of the great American heroes of all time. He held office at a moment of enormous danger. He had many admirable qualities necessary for success. But like the tragic heroes of old, hubris and inflexibility made vices of his virtues, leading to his own fall and the collapse of his life's work.

Rumsfeld was in many ways ideally suited to be secretary of Defense in the wake of 9/11. His experience in the same position under President Ford and as ambassador to NATO seemed to fit him to the task of overseeing a complex military coalition. His determination and self-confidence were essential in a wartime secretary — and unusual in recent times. When he showed, early in his tenure, that he meant to take positive control of the Pentagon's sprawling bureaucracy, many observers cheered. This was precisely the sort of man the nation needed at the military's helm at a time of crisis.

As former CIA Director Robert Gates prepares to succeed Rumsfeld, the chorus is already rising to declare that Gates must be more open to advice from the military, more of a consensus-builder than a tyrant. Perhaps. It isn't clear how a more open secretary of Defense would have fared given the advice the military gave Rumsfeld.

Belief in the value of technology and the need for light, swift ground forces pervaded the senior military leadership in the 1990s. Then-Army Chief of Staff Gen. Eric Shinseki had launched an ambitious program to "lighten" the Army and equip it with advanced precision weapons. Shinseki certainly warned that more troops would be needed to secure Iraq in the wake of major combat operations. But Gen. Tommy Franks, the commander who developed and executed the actual war plan, wanted fewer. Many officers opposed the "light footprint" approach with which Rumsfeld tackled the problem of the Iraqi insurgency — but not Gen. John Abizaid, who took over from Franks right after the end of major combat operations. A secretary of Defense who encouraged discussion and dissent would have perhaps anticipated more of the flaws in the policies he was proposing. Still, the strategy that has led to disaster in Iraq belonged to the commanders at least as much as to Rumsfeld. Scapegoating him in isolation will prevent us from learning the essential lessons of our recent failures.

For the problem with Rumsfeld was not his flawed managerial style, but his flawed understanding of war. Early in his term, he became captive of an idea. He would transform the U.S. military in accord with the most advanced theories of the 1990s to prepare it for the challenges of the future. He was not alone in his captivity. As a candidate, President Bush announced the same program in 1999 — long before anyone thought Don Rumsfeld would return as secretary of Defense. The program, quite simply, was to rely on information technology to permit American forces to locate, identify, track and destroy any target on the face of the Earth from thousands of miles away. Ideally, ground forces would not be necessary in future wars. If they were, it would be in small numbers, widely dispersed, moving rapidly and engaging in little close combat. This vision defined U.S. military theory throughout the 1990s, and it has gone deep into our military culture. Rumsfeld's advent hastened and solidified its triumph, but his departure will not lead instantly to its collapse.

At its root, this "transformation program" is not a program for war at all. War is the use of force to achieve a political purpose, against a thinking enemy and involving human populations. Political aims cannot normally be achieved simply by destroying targets. But the transformation that enthusiasts of the 1990s focused too narrowly on destroyed the enemy's military with small, lean and efficient forces. This captivated Rumsfeld, becoming his passion. He meant it to be his legacy. It was the fatal flaw in this vision that led, in part, to the debacle in Iraq. Focused on destroying the enemy's military quickly and efficiently, Rumsfeld refused to consider the political complexities that would follow that destruction. (Interpolation: this is actually the responsibility of the State Department)  He and Franks pared the invasion force down to the smallest level that could defeat Saddam Hussein's army, but refused to consider the chaos that would follow the collapse of Hussein's government. This failure is inherent in the military thought of the 1990s. Rumsfeld did not invent it. He simply executed it.

Having made the mistake of failing to plan for achieving the political goals of the Iraq war, Rumsfeld then compounded his error. The war in Iraq threatened military transformation. It was expensive and sucked scarce defense resources away from transformational programs. It was manpowerintensive and hindered Rumsfeld's efforts to reorient the military away from a focus on land power. It was intellectually distracting; counterinsurgency has little to do with transformation. Here Rumsfeld's virtues became his greatest vices. Instead of recognizing the danger of losing Iraq, he remained committed to transforming the military to meet undefined future threats, spending billions of dollars preparing to fight Enemy X in 2025. He consistently opposed increasing the size of the ground forces, despite the obvious growing strains on the Army and the Marines of repeated deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq.

He fought to keep expensive weapons systems, such as the F-22 fighter jet and the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, which were billed as "transformational" because they used precision-guided munitions to strike remote targets. That money could have been used for better armored vehicles, more body armor and more soldiers. The same determination that had seemed so promising when he first took over became a stubborn refusal to change course in a storm.

Rumsfeld has paid a high price for this failure. He will not be known as the secretary of Defense who transformed the military, but as the secretary of Defense who, at best, nearly lost the Iraq war. Worse still, his stubbornness has destroyed the ground forces. The Army and Marines have worn out their equipment and their troops. Units must swap tanks and Humvees just to be able to train. The Army brass recently leaked the fact that only the units that are in Iraq or about to deploy to Iraq are combat-ready — an unprecedented military crisis. Rumsfeld leaves behind him a military far weaker and less capable than the one he took charge of in 2001.

The greatest irony of all is that the military Rumsfeld has destroyed is the one he created. He was secretary of Defense in the mid-1970s as the military was shifting from conscription to the all-volunteer force. He shepherded the volunteer military through its early growing pains and supported it valiantly against its many critics. Perfecting it through transformation was to be the culmination of his life's work. The damage he has done to it instead is his tragedy — and the nation's.

In one sense I wonder if Rumsfeld wasn't correct after all, we do need a massive change in the way we identify targets and communicate information throughout the battlefield. I think the best way to look at this is the sensor and communication system is mostly in place, but it is still connected to a "heavy metal" army force structure, which is inflexible and unable to deal with either the information presented or effectively engage an asymmetrical enemy in an effective manner. This is something professional soldiers and historians will debate for generations.

In another thread it has been mentioned that industrial or manufacturing efficiency results in lay-offs.  The Heavy Metal battle is the result of industrial age technologies.  Nobel's Dynamite, Krupp's Cannon, Diesel's Engine, Marconi's Radio, Ford's Assembly line, trucks, tanks, cannons, backhoes,...... When they were introduced they resulted in massive numbers of jobs.  The jobs are disappearing as fewer people are able to do more with exactly the same stuff but more electronics doing the routine.  Machines stuffing beer into cases  and rounds into boxes instead of people doing them.  Machines driving trucks around factory floors with no drivers.

Those industrial age tools were the tools that won WW1 and WW2 and bankrupted the Soviet Union.  They worked as long as there were targets to find.  When the other guy lines up all his toys on the battlefield like a kid playing soldiers in the living room then it is easy to find the targets.  Then all you need to do is keep throwing bullets until you run out of targets.

But as I have been saying for a while soldiering isn't just about targets.  It is about person to person interaction.  It is about soldiers meeting people who may or may not want to kill them.

It is no coincidence that in the modern world, while factory, industrial age jobs are decreasing service jobs, those jobs that put people in touch with people, jobs like clerks, nurses, doctors and policemen are on the rise.  Machines can make thousands of explosive widgets and fire them to the ends of the earth in minutes. 

But it still requires someone, an individual, brave enough to walk up to another individual, look them in the eye and decide whether this person should live or die.  That one on on interaction demands people, eyeballs, brains and boots.  It demands infanteers and cavalrymen (cavaliers?).

We don't need as many people to deliver bullets to destroy targets as we did in WW1.  We can see farther and communicate better and move faster to get to trouble spots.  But you can't see what the other guy's intention is until you engage him one to one.

We don't need as many machinery operators as we did in the past.  We need skilled engineers and maintenance people although low cost, self-diagnosing, disposable, plug'n'play electronics limits their need.  That has an impact on Armour, Artillery, Logistics, Sigs.  We need fewer people there - not that we don't need them we just need fewer of them.

By contrast we still need infanteers, mounted infanteers/mounted rifles/dragoons/cavalrymen, policemen, medics, administrators.  That is where you need manpower.  Those, especially the infantry and cavalry, are precisely the areas where modern armies have been cutting.  Those are the people necessary to impose order.  Blowing things up creates chaos.  People build.  People create order out of chaos.  Armies need people.  Armies need soldiers.

Back