• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Diabetics in the CF

Is having type 1 diabetes a barrier to joining the reserves? I am aware you can't join the regular forces if you have diabetes, but from what I have heard it isn't a problem with the reserves. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm pretty sure the Regs and Reserves have the exact same medical requirements.  Search around the forums, I'm sure theres info on diabetes and wanting to join the CF.  You can also call your local CFRC and ask them about it.

COMMON ENROLLMENT STANDARD

I hope I don't have to clarify!

I have read several threads about diabetes so please forgive me for adding one more.
I have recently been tested and my A1C level is 6.1. I am about .3 away from being a diabetic. My next test is scheduled for the end of Jan.
I am unsure of how the CF views members with Diabetes. Are they released right away?
If so how long would the process normally take?

Looking forward to your learned responses

kev. said:
I have read several threads about diabetes so please forgive me for adding one more.
I have recently been tested and my A1C level is 6.1. I am about .3 away from being a diabetic. My next test is scheduled for the end of Jan.
I am unsure of how the CF views members with Diabetes. Are they released right away?
If so how long would the process normally take?

Looking forward to your learned responses

Depends on who you are, what you do, how long you have in, and how you're being treated and are responding to treatment.  Type 1 and 2 dibetics are placed on categories with Geographic and some Occupational restrictions.  Usually Type 1's are edged out and Type 2's not needing inuslin to manage are kept aboard.  If you're given a PCat that makes you unfit life in the CF, the time it takes for that to go through the process can take upwards of a year.  I'm willing to bet as a Type 2, you'd be on a stricter category at first until you've shown you're under control and then likely assigned a PCat  that has some Geo restrictions.  If you're a flyer (I see you're with 403 Sqn), I'm not up to speed on the Flight Surg Guidelines regarding DM2 and Air Factors, which is a whole different kettle of fish.

Hope that helps a bit.

MM

Edited for a spelling oopy.

To add, every patient is assessed on a case-by-case basis. Generally, insulin-dependence is the go/no go gauge. If you can maintain good control of your sugars with diet, exercise and drugs if needed, you will likely be retained. Once the insulin needle touches skin, generally you will be released.

However, since you are not yet at the threshold for diabetes, why not take control of your diet, exercise and weight and try to get back to normal glycemic control and avoid both the potential medical complications as well as the potential career implications?  All is not lost!

I am making changes to my diet and exercise but I also am keenly aware that diabetes is strong on both sides of the family.

Good Evening,

Hope, you are all doing well. Forgive me, if this has been asked a thousand times before but i am hoping that anyone with direct experience can share some knowledge. I have worked a number of jobs in the transportation sector in the past 3 years. I am 27 years old and a type 2 (non insulin) dependent pre diabetic. I have a BMI that was on the healthy side when i was diagnosed but it was borderline. However, i do exercise and have managed to improve that & my condition considerably. From my limited knowledge i have come to understand that serving in the normal force is a strict no-no for type 2  pre-diabetics. My question is that would they take me into reserves with type 2 pre-diabetes? Is it even worth putting in an application? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you, in advance.

Regards,
Sunny

There is no difference in the medical requirements between the Regular Force and the Reserve Force; everyone must meet the same Common Enrollment Standard. The worst that can happen is that you apply and are unfit enrollment.

No one here will give you a definitive answer on your specific situation.

Hi,

I just got medical exam and interview for NCM position.  I am a Type II diabetes (non-insulin dependent) with good blood sugar control.  I told medical officer all the truth and he cannot say 'yes' or 'no' whether CF will accept person with type II diabetes. I just have to wait for the medical decision.  My question is whether CF accept Type II diabetes. 

Does anyone has diabetes and joined CF?

Been following this post for a long time.

I was an infantry member with Type 1 diabetes. I was a late onset type 1. Joint the CF at 16 I wasn’t showing serious signs yet, but I did have many on my recruit course. I would get severe cramps in my legs, lost a truck load of weight (not just from the PT but I went from 175 to 150 in 2 weeks). Figured the legs were electrolytes so I’d drink juice or eat a banana at lunch. Made it worse. Cardio was junk, not because I didn’t try, I’d do PT in the evenings too but hard to have good cardio when your heart is pumping syrup. Didn’t figure it out until years later.

I spent 8 years in. Some of the best years of my life. But I was never 100% (knowing now). There was always something. Over the years as I hit my early 20s it got worse until I was on Mod 6 for my leaf. Was in wicked shape, had taught on several courses in between. Doing great. But I was living with my canteen in one hand and at the urinal. In one end and out the other. Would puke after light PT (my sugars were getting way worse but I didn’t know). Had applied for the Mounties and they called on course, said I failed my medical and to go to the base hospital. That was it. RTU’d and the process was started.

To this day I wish I could have stayed in and taught or switched to a different trade. But, I understood. I didn’t want to be responsible for my fire team partner not going home because I went down. Not personal. I know there has been some newer cases where people have argued ‘hormone therapy that is essential to life’ is okay and it’s been allowed. So I could make a case... but after the years in, I understand. Without a guaranteed way to ensure that I was stable... not a chance. Not because I can’t, I did. Got the t-shirt. But I understand the importance and the consequences. I always felt bad I didn’t get to deploy (I wanted to...it was RCMP that talked me out of it. Wanted to deploy me after depot) but I’m glad now that I didn’t get through, deploy and got someone killed due to a medical condition I didn’t know I had.

My 2c. I have always been bitter about it. I’ve been bitter for 10 years because of it. But I’ve carved a life of emergency response, hazmat, worked at a fire department, search and rescue and now remote emergency response in the northern wilderness. I get to work with The Rangers and SAR techs all the time. Even got to deploy in the back of a Herc to a are mote community evacuation last year. My own private ride. I’ve used what I learned to do what I can to help people. But I know that unless they cured me, I could never go back. I couldn’t risk a brother or sister not coming home because of me. I wouldn’t be able to look their family or by team members in the eye ever again. So I do what I can and use what I learned.

There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t miss my Unit mates. But I have learned that there are other ways to help people.

Hope that helps my fellow diabetics put things into perspective.

TR

Back