• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Deploying the DART to Asia

Lethbridge U

Inactive
Reaction score
I was watching the National tonight on CBC and they were talking about how they were not able to send D.A.R.T to the nations stricken by the tsunami(s) because the cost was too high. I have to say that I was a little pissed off by that. What is the point of having a disaster recovery team when you don't even use it? With the amount of help needed by the world community in a time like this I am a little disgusted by our government on this issue. It makes D.A.R.T look more like a PR stunt rather than an actual tool for aid.
just my 2 cents.

Having been part of DART's first attempt I think it should have been dumped LONG AGO...

By GLORIA GALLOWAY
From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

Ottawa â ” Federal officials say a Canadian disaster-response unit launched with much fanfare in 1996 is not being deployed in the early days of the tsunami crisis because its field hospital and water-purification unit are not the relief tools required at this time.

Critics worry that cuts to the military have made it financially impossible to move the Canadian Forces Disaster Response Team, known as DART, to the areas levelled by the giant waves. It takes 24 lumbering Hercules airplanes to transport it out of the country and cost the government $15-million the last time it was dispatched.

But representatives of the departments of National Defence and Foreign Affairs, as well as the Canadian International Development Agency, said yesterday that finances and logistics are not keeping the unit grounded.

Deploying DART â Å“very much has to be driven by the needs that have been identified in a given crisis situation based on what our partners on the ground are telling us,â ? said Elissa Golberg, a director of humanitarian affairs in the Foreign Affairs Department.

Water purification is the major requirement in regions hardest hit, and Ms. Golberg said Canada has responded by sending water-purification tablets and other components on a plane that left for Sri Lanka yesterday afternoon.

DART, which involves more than 200 military personnel from medics to security officers to field engineers, is not generally used during the first 72 hours of a crisis, she said. It was not sent to Haiti earlier this year when a hurricane killed more than a thousand people and has only been deployed on rare occasions.

â Å“It's more of a medium-term intervention,â ? Ms. Golberg said. â Å“The DART is not off the table. It's an important part of our tool kit. But we need to make sure that it is the kind of tool that is needed to respond to this particular circumstance.â ?

Colonel Guy Laroche acknowledged that there are not enough Hercules available to get DART to a country like Sri Lanka, but said there are other methods of transport that could be used, including commercial aircraft.

Ms. Golberg added that the government has been discussing ways to better mobilize the operation, including breaking it up so that, for example, the water-purification unit could be deployed on its own.

Ministerial officials denied that Foreign Affairs Minister Pierre Pettigrew and International Development Minister Aileen Carroll being out of the country for holidays has affected Canada's response. Both ministers have been in regular contact with their departments and officials overseas even if they have not been available to talk with the media, they said.

A spokeswoman for Defence Minister Bill Graham said DART would not be used without a request from one of the countries hit by the disaster or one of the aid agencies working in the region.

â Å“This is the biggest catastrophe in years,â ? said Isabelle Savard. â Å“On the other hand, we're not just going to put people on the plane without knowing where they are going to go and what they are supposed to do.â ?

But Ted Menzies, the Conservative critic for CIDA, said he was concerned the unit was being kept at home for financial reasons.

â Å“I have to wonder, have we cut our military so badly, does DART even exist any more?â ? he asked. â Å“I hope that they're there because, if we were ever going to put this team into action, now is the time.â ?

He also questioned whether there could be any doubt that a field hospital and a water purification unit would be valuable in areas hit by tsunamis.

â Å“We've seen enough news clips on television to know there is a disaster â ” probably the largest natural disaster that we have ever seen and hopefully ever will see in our lifetime,â ? Mr. Menzies said.

â Å“We're going to sit back and wait for a request to come and help? That's ridiculous.â ?

In fact, Ms. Golberg said, the government of Sri Lanka has said it believes it has enough medical professionals to deal with the crisis and the situation in other countries such as Indonesia has not been fully assessed.

â Å“We never want Canada to be in a situation where it just deploys a tool because we have it. We have to make sure that the kind of things that Canada provides is going to meet the needs of the victims.â ?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20041229.wxtsunami-dart29/BNStory/National/

[Moderator note:  Edited only to remove useless links]

Not yet time to send DART to Asia: officials

OTTAWA (CP) - Although Canada's military keeps an emergency response team on standby to help in international disasters, it isn't "the right tool" to help victims of a devastating Asian earthquake and tsunami, federal officials said Tuesday.

"It seems the DART is not the right tool at this time," Col. Guy Laroche of the Department of National Defence told a Media briefing three days after the crisis hit. Officials were responding to criticisms that the Canadian Forces Disaster Assistance Response Team hasn't yet been sent to the region devastated by an earthquake that triggered massive tidal waves on Boxing Day.

Officials said they're not ruling out sending the DART team, which sets up a mobile field hospital, at some point.

But information is still coming in from the region and as yet, no government there has made a formal request to Ottawa for such help, officials said.

"We don't want to deploy something if it's not going to be useful," said Elissa Golberg with the Foreign Affairs department.

The DART team was last used five years ago to assist when a massive earthquake hit Turkey.

Its workings are complex, involving a kind of military field hospital that uses about 200 personnel including medics, engineers and security personnel.

Part of its expertise is in water purification, which is desperately needed in the stricken area that includes coastal areas from Sri Lanka to Thailand, India and parts of Indonesia.

But Laroche said that deploying the DART team isn't intended as a short-term response mechanism.

And it would take about 24 flights of a full Hercules aircraft to ferry the 200 DART personnel and all their equipment to the region, added Laroche, Coordinator for International Missions for DND.

Meanwhile, Canadian officials have been reviewing the DART program since fall - well before the current crisis - to find ways of making it more nimble, Golberg said.

"We've been evaluating this, even before the hurricane season in the Americas, to see how we might be able, for instance, to break it up into pieces so we can use it more frequently in the Canadian tool kit," she said.

"So these are things that have already been under active consideration by us."

Thats from the earthquake thread

Jay Hunter said:
A spokeswoman for Defence Minister Bill Graham said DART would not be used without a request from one of the countries hit by the disaster or one of the aid agencies working in the region.
We are waiting for a request?  Have we made an offer?

I wonder if DFAIT has been advertising this "tool" to the affected countries or if we are waiting for those countries to think of it themsleves?  Is CIDA telling the NGOs about DART?

MCG said:
 Is CIDA telling the NGOs about DART?

They better not be - it would really be embarassing publically not go somewhere we were needed (again...) if asked by Canadian NGO's

UNLESS we pony up for some C17's and a C5 - DART is a pipedream.
I was part of it when it first got dreamed up - it seem to keep getting bigger and bigger but no clearer focus.

Having baby-sat DART for a while as A/G3 of LFCA, I am with KevinB 100%. I do not like DART. DART is IMHO a misuse of resources in a cash-strapped military, and is as much a "feel-good" as anything else. We should not be humanitarian first responders: the military should facilitate GOs/IOs (and maybe those NGOs that don't hate us too much...) to get to the scene of thes situation and to operate securely and effectively, but we should not spend our own resources to configure units specifically for humanitarian ops. If it isn't really a job for the military, don't send the military: send money, materials or the right civil agency.

A good point has been raised by the Govt: we haven't been asked. The most competent judge of what is required is not the Canadian media or various political snipers-it is the govt of the affected country who will ask for what they need. This rush to send the DART reminds me of pressure we got in LFCA from the MNDs office back during the Walkerton water emergency, to deploy 2CER's ROWPU to Walkerton, despite the fact there was no requirement for it and no request from either the town or the Province to do so.Reportedly this was described by one of hte MND's staffers as being a "great photo op".  The deployment of the  LFCA IRU to Toronto during "Mel's Snowstorm" was another example of unnecessary knee-jerk dispatching of troops for political "feel-good" reasons. Cheers.

PBI
I know same people that have said the DART is a good thing? We do require it. Every country has a DART. We just need the aircraft.
Asd for the snow storm. George and I were there. our mechs got the bowling alley working and we ran 3 LOSV courses. A lot of Dog and ponies. O our ARV, did help rerighting a truck. It was funny, they did want B Sqn's Dozer. That would have been a sight. A LEO Dozer plowing out Mel's driveway.  :D
George, did you see Capt CH on CBC? He does make a good PA officer.  ;D  :evil: :tank:

LFWA stood up the first DART in the mid 90s in response to DFAITs feel good strategy under Lloyd Axworthy.  The DART is fairly limited in what it can accomplish.  By the time it arrived in theatre (which country do you go to?) and became operational the key time within a disaster would be over.  In this case, money is what the countries need. 

[rant]

pbi makes a point which resonates with me.   I heard Colonel Laroche on the radio, and ... I don't believe a word he says.

I do not know Colonel Laroche, but I am reasonably sure he is a fine officer, sterling human being, good father, and, and, and ... I am also sure that what he said was written for him by a public affairs officer who has little interest and no useful knowledge about the whys and wherefores of the DART or air transport but is highly sensitive to every nuance of good photo ops and potentially embarrassing news stories.

I watched the evolution of public information into public affairs with growing concern over the last 25+ years.

I fully understand that the Minister of National Defence must have his own spin doctors whose primary (only) aim is to make him look good or, at the very least, not too bad.   I even understand that the CDS wants (thinks he needs?) something similar.   I also understand that the Canadian Forces need some means of telling the truth to the people of Canada.  

I submit that one organization cannot â “ cannot even try to â “ do both jobs.   DND (including the CF) has one and only one communications branch and it serves the needs of the minister (making him look not too bad, despite everything) which means, ipso facto, that it cannot possible meet the needs of the CF â “ to tell the truth to the people of Canada.

I admit that several years in NDHQ induced a level of cynicism which I wish wasn't there but whenever I see/hear the CDS I assume that if his lips are moving he is reading a script which probably bears little relations to any facts of any matter.   My descent into the depths of cynicism came when Maurice Baril â “ surely the worst very senior officer to ever wear a Canadian uniform â “ lied at a press conference and and read a script which blamed and debased his own air force people in order to provide a fig leaf's worth of cover for what was, wholly and completely, the wishes of that crooked, lazy old buffoon: Jean Chrétien.

The people of Canada are entitled to know what their armed forces are doing, how they are doing it and e.g. how much it costs.   These are, generally, facts which the Canadian Forces should â “ and should want to â “ provide: openly and accurately and completely.   Things like 'why' are not the business of the CF and the ministers and their spin doctors must be welcome to lie like sidewalks if that's what they think is necessary.   Uniformed military officers â “ even public affairs officers â “ should not be involved in these propagandist shell games.

[/rant]

If not now, when? In a disater case of deaths at 70 000 and a Disaster response team isn't being sent out, when should it be? never obviously, its a waste of the money it gets which isn't even enough to let it do it's job correctly.

I had a "Family in-law"incident this weekend. My brother in law is an idiot. He made an off handed comment that the US was only sending 35 million dollars and we we sending 4 million.- based on a per capita calculation he insinuated that we were better people. I lost it. In front of my wife's family I said that he was a perfect example of everything wrong with our country.

I went on at length about the US contribution, including an carrier group and support aircraft, private donations and their leadership. I also mentioned that we Canadians couldn't do anything because we lack strategic airlift capability. I mentioned the hurricane relief in Dominican Republic- we didn't do anything because we couldn't get there. We think we are great contributors- we are mistakin. "You are an idiot, pass the gravy."

Peace_Keeper said:
If not now, when? In a disater case of deaths at 70 000 and a Disaster response team isn't being sent out, when should it be? never obviously, its a waste of the money it gets which isn't even enough to let it do it's job correctly.

Brilliant!  And who wants us?  Somalia? India? Sri Lanca?  Indonesia?  Australia?  Look at the globe and the magnitude of this disaster and figure out where we are most needed.  We have nothing in DART that could handle enough to make any real difference.  We have no reliable means of getting it there.  We have not even got the personnel to deploy it at this time.  Wake the F------ up!

GW

The PM seems to be very quit at this moment.  He said he wanted to be known for his interest in international affairs so were is he.  If we can not contribute with the military we should be able to give more in money.

George Wallace said:
Brilliant!  And who wants us?  Somalia? India? Sri Lanca?  Indonesia?  Australia?  Look at the globe and the magnitude of this disaster and figure out where we are most needed.  We have nothing in DART that could handle enough to make any real difference.  We have no reliable means of getting it there.  We have not even got the personnel to deploy it at this time.  Wake the F------ up!

GW

You just proved his point.  If we have no reliable means to deploy it, and don't even have the personnel, then it IS a waste.  It's a half-assed feel-good political machine.  We can say "yep, we have an emergency response team in place" without ever actually using the damn thing.  I'm not saying it's a bad concept, but without the right funding, equipment, and peronnel, it's a waste.  Either get what's needed to make it usable, or scrap it and put the resources being used for it into other parts of the military.

From a National Defence perspective, does it not make sense to have a fully-functioning air-deployable team to be used if there is a Canadian disaster (earthquake, WMD attack, etc.)?

Then, if it is deployed overseas (actually if any military asset is deployed overseas) as a foreign policy decision, it should be funded from the Foreign Affairs budget as opposed to the Department of Defence Budget.  The DND Budget should be for domestic operations including coastal surveillance, procurement, training, etc. only.

Matthew.  :salute:

pbi said:
A good point has been raised by the Govt: we haven't been asked. The most competent judge of what is required is not the Canadian media or various political snipers-it is the govt of the affected country who will ask for what they need.

pbi hit it on the head. And this note from India validates that.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20041229/wl_sthasia_afp/asiaquakeindiaaidforeign_041229092823

:salute:

Something from Uncle Lew on the subject...:

Cheques will have to do

by Lewis MacKenzie

Re: Cutting Cheques Is Not Enough, editorial, Dec. 28.

Your editorial rightly points out that the capabilities possessed by our Force's Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART) are ideally suited to the monumental disaster unfolding along the coastlines of Asia. The excuse offered by our government for not immediately deploying DART was that we have yet to receive a request for assistance from any of the devastated countries - but that is certainly not the real reason. The fact is we can't get DART there in a timely manner and to arrive woefully late would be an embarrassement.

Devoid of any strategic lift of our own, we usually revert to renting dated Ukrainian Antonov aircraft to get our soldiers to another continent. Guess what? We now have a major disaster, and with everyone and his dog renting from the same source, the price has skyrocketed.

What about our Hercules fleet? On a good day, about a dozen are operational. They are not strategic lift aircraft, however, and we have abused them by employing them in such a role to the extent that they are the most overworked and highest mileage fleet in the world. Send 10 to Asia and five will wind up grounded for maintenance. With a need for 30 flights to get DART to, say, Sri Lanka, that just won't cut it.

Cheques might not be enough, but unfortunately that's about all we can get to those who need our assistance.

Maj-Gen. Lewis MacKenzie, now retired, commanded UN troops during the Bosnian civil war of 1992.

Definitely Canada would be challenged to deploy a DART.  Before it can be done, as PBI and Bill have
pointed out, other factors have to be over come first before a DART deployment can be implemented.

The disaster occured in a masive shore-line region encompassing several countries.  Where should a DART be
deployed for the maximum effect?  It would have to be implemented in association with other
DART initiatives from other countries and organizations.  It takes time.  Intelligence from "on the spot" is
slow and communications from affected countries have not requested for Canadian personnel.  The problem
lies in co-ordinated activities that mostly lie outside of Canadian direction.

Back