• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Departure options before end of VIE?

Tigerdriver

Inactive
Reaction score
Guys,

I thought about posting this topic in the recruiting forum but it seemed more appropriate here.

I am engaged in application to join CF but wanted to check out the Terms of Service.  It is likely I will be offered a VIE of 9 years.  Though seems like about the amount of time I might wish to serve I just want to understand what it actually means; ie how long is the minimum I must serve, what notice period would I have to give and also what happens when I get to the 9 year point.  Given I haven't completed the recruiting process yet you can see why I am loathe to ask about leaving (though I have no plan to do so!) before I've even joined.  I'm just a thorough SOB and want to understand in detail what I'm committing myself (and my family) to.  I've googled widely and read some of the CFAO I could find but none seemed to give me an clear answer.

Grateful thanks for any answers received, especially if anyone has a reference I can access.

TD

Perhaps how you got a 9 year VIE would be a place to start?

Traditionally, on a VIE - and this is in a 'most cases' scenario, you can release at any time.  Be prepared to spend up to 6 months in the release process, so you can't just get out because you're on duty during a Justin Bieber concert. 

Where there is a difference is when you get into 'obligatory service',  usually from subsidized education.  I know that the CEOTP program I applied for was to be followed with a new TOS extending 9 years with obligatory service being 2 mont4 yhs for every 1 month of study.  I had it clarified to my be a real person (which seems to related to the cloudy regs on the issue) that its measured in months as 1 school year = approximately 8 months, calculated at time of STARTING.  So, and others feel free to correct, that oblig service is actually an additional month for every month of school.  I.e. 8 months of school =  16 months owed, with 8 already served in school, leaving 4 served until next semester and 4 owed at the end... coming out to approximately 16 months additional obligatory service after a 4 year degree.  Sounds like not much, but by their calculations, you've already served 16 not being in school, an additional 32 in school, plus the 16 after.  If it looks good on paper, then it sounds like the thinking of a 'gentile of the forces' to me.

Anyways, since Human Rights invaded the CF and made us kids who we are today, despite a lot of the locker room intelligence - when you read the docs, there isn't really such a thing as being 'trapped' in the CF.  Aside from Recce Coy Sniper, Arty STA tech, LCIS, or whatever dreamy job in green you have certainly doesn't equate to $60K/year + full med/dent/pharm in the civvie life.  Thats the real trap.  Your 9 years will be gone before you know it.   

Ref: CFAO 6-1 (thats from memory :) )

Back