• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Depart with Dignity

Jed said:
In all fairness, many folks probably prefer to just fade away.

A friend of mine did that after 18 years with a certain unit in Toronto....

With all the cutbacks, it seems even the DWD program has taken a hit.

Now the cost of the two frames must be paid for by the unit's NPF
or through a collection vice public funds.

ref:  Facebook
CMP has modified CF Mil Pers instr 01/09 depart with dignity eff 9 Dec 14- public funds is no longer permitted to frame certificate of service and environmental certificate. ..Para 2.0 -" CO'S must utilize unit social funds or collection to frame the two certificates".

Anyone have the guide they could send me?

Thanks

Hey Chief Stoker,

PM sent.

I too would request the guide from anyone whom may have it.  Thanks

If you have access to the DWAN, the DWD directive is on the CMP Mil Pers Instr.  01/09

http://cmp-cpm.mil.ca/en/policies/cf-mil-pers-instr.page

And contrary to what some people have told me,  "the DWD program applies to all members who have completed Basic Recruit Training and who are being honourably released from the CF".  So there's no excuse to allow someone to depart without due fanfare (unless that is what they truly want).

Cheers,

AK

Just curious, but if a medically releasing member is utilizing vrpsm for last 6 months of service, at what point is a dwd & scroll, certificate etc presented to the member, & by who?  Is it the responsibility of the home unit if still there on paper during the vrpsm period?  And is it done before member leaves unit to commence vrpsm or right before release and during vrpsm?  Thanks

brokendude said:
Just curious, but if a medically releasing member is utilizing vrpsm for last 6 months of service, at what point is a dwd & scroll, certificate etc presented to the member, & by who?  Is it the responsibility of the home unit if still there on paper during the vrpsm period?  And is it done before member leaves unit to commence vrpsm or right before release and during vrpsm?  Thanks

I haven't seen it this situation addressed in any official direction.  But when this occurred in our unit, we held the event before she left for the VRPSM.  I think it would be more likely for coworkers who weren't close friends to attend.  And in our case, the selection of the presenting officer was decided based on who would not stress the member. 

It's always a balancing act when you have people who say they want a minimal event, but I try hard to ensure that people feel celebrated and appreciated within the parameters that they, themselves set.

Cheers,

AK

Just curious. When a 20+ P Res member (also former Reg F) releases, is there a DWD? Is the member supposed to do it themselves?

Ref the "do it themselves" part...unless things have changed, there should be a RFC (Retirement Function Coordinator?) assigned.  I haven't done a DWD for a retiring mbr in a few years but...that was the title when I was the OPI. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/corporate/reports-publications/transition-guide/annex-c.html

Annex C -CAF MEMBER TRANSITION – AIDE-MEMOIRE FOR UNIT COMMANDING OFFICERS

The initial enhancements to the transition experience, implemented immediately, are listed below. As the initial authority, the Unit CO is responsible to ensure the member is informed of these changes, has access to the initial transition resources and completes the following:

•Underlining the importance of the Depart-with-Dignity (DWD) program and ensuring all members receive a DWD ceremony as a form of acknowledgement of their service in the CAF.

CO’s Roles & Responsibilities:

•Arrange for, and ensure the member receives a Depart-with-Dignity (DWD) ceremony.

ArmyRick said:
Just curious. When a 20+ P Res member (also former Reg F) releases, is there a DWD? Is the member supposed to do it themselves?

Did they have DWD when they left the reg force?  I think the standard, although I could be corrected is that the DWD is a one time only event.

tree hugger said:
Did they have DWD when they left the reg force?  I think the standard, although I could be corrected is that the DWD is a one time only event.

That's true.  CF Mil Pers Instr 01/09 is the guiding reference. One DWD per CAF career.  If you received one when you left the Reg F (retirement/CT), you don't get a second official one when you finally retire from the CAF (any component) for good.

I released from the Reg F in 1998 with nothing but a barrack warden asking if I could empty my room a day sooner.

Re-joined P Res three months later, served 20 years and very little of what I have seen that was supposed to be done, was done. Like nothing.

ArmyRick said:
I released from the Reg F in 1998 with nothing but a barrack warden asking if I could empty my room a day sooner.

Re-joined P Res three months later, served 20 years and very little of what I have seen that was supposed to be done, was done. Like nothing.

Reminds me of this, "You're done."
https://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi370934809

I find it almost shocking that some people retire and get nothing except a handshake if their lucky.  Many units do a luncheon and present a unit certificate just for being posted from one unit to another on the same base.

ArmyRick said:

Just because the CAF has a policy on DWD doesn't mean it has to be followed. The organization of my DWD was a gong show, for the most part.  I'm surprised that it happened at all.  I've been retired almost a year now and still don't have my CAF Certificate of Service or pin.

Mr Devine, I am not just referring to the DWD at this point but pretty much the whole release process was a gong show. I am pretty sure I will be airing out some dirty laundry soon.

Its not about getting even or any bullshit like that. Its about correcting something that isn't happening. Its about correcting a GROSS failure of leadership. I am a dirty civy now and I know some of my former superiors are far more intimidated by mean now then when I was a "difficult" WO.

Funny though. Any competent CWO or Officers had no issue with me.

Before I wonder off too far into one of my idiotic rants. I will clear the air on a few things.

99% of the soldiers I served with were excellent people and make Canada proud.  We do have an excellent armed forces and if I had to choose, I would do it all over again if I magically was 18 again.

Well...the CAF Transition policy I posted earlier makes it clear that CO has a responsibility to ensure it happens.

I've organized one DWD...I actually really enjoyed it, it was for a 'colourful' member of my trade who was releasing...I had a good time with it and there was some laughs at the DWD.  Involved his family, great turnout...and the "guide" made it easy for me to know what things I should be getting done (certificates from the RCAF, mess gifts...you name it).

Like any policy, though...the higher ups need to invest some GAFF into it for the more junior folks to benefit.  My trade is pretty good and giving a crap about people so...we make it happen.

The whole "one DWD"...as discussed at a Wing Snr NCO to CWO briefing the other day on the SEM/TEM project....technically a CT is a 'release' and 'enrolment'.  In the case of the mbr I was the RFC for...he later re-joined.  If he serves another 2 decades...he isn't worthy of another DWD?  BS, I say...

Our obsession with taking the next bound to take the next leap has us forgetting that CAF members are people and not just numbers.

It makes us quick to forget people exist once they're off the company orbat let alone unit nominal roll, whether it's 3 years of service or 30.

Back