• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Decent Pilot OJTs

M

maniac779

My CoC is starting to ask me where I want OJT come March '07 and I was wondering if anyone out there has been on, or has had buddies who have done some sweet OJTs they wouldn't mind sharing some details about. Also feel free to tell me about the really boring OJTs you might wanna stay away from.

Cheers...

What would you say is an ideal OJT for you?
What aircraft do you want to fly?
Where would you like to live?
What do you do for fun?

What I consider to be a great OJT, you might consider to be a nightmare.

You could always ask to go to Gagetown, to audit the Infantry Phase III.      ;D

I think that mister the cheez  ;D is right...you should try to answer those questions and then we should be able to give you somes places...

Well, first of all, I don't really care what I fly. But I'd love to be on the Herc (or C-17s if we get them) or on some equipment close to the boys. (Griffon or Chinook, if we get them)

I'd like to get aquainted with operations at a squadron, so I guess I am curious about what you could end up doing if you were posted to an operational squadron.

I am thinking 436 Sqn in Trenton. (Close to home, which I want right now, high tempo of operations, they operate the Herc in the environment I am interested in, and I have a good buddy who is just about to start the Herc OTU there.)

So let me ammend my question and ask what is it like working OJT for a Squadron and what kind of stuff can you get involved in other than paperwork?

I spent a few months on OJT at 429 Sqn in Trenton prior to the amalgamation with 436. I worked the pilot scheduling desk so it gave me a first hand view of the op tempo. That was my main job; as well I got BSERE, AMT, and the last of my OPMEs out of the way while there and had plenty of time left over for PT. Also, the WASF was looking for platoon commanders at one point and the DCO came to me about it but as I was only going to be around for a short while longer by that time that never went ahead since that was to be a year long duty if I remember correctly.

You'll get the opportunity to go along for local training flights but don't get your hopes up about going on longer trips - my understanding at the time was that the wing had a policy not to pay TD for OJT'ers, and getting a green passport was out of the question.

As for the town itself, it is nice enough but rather sleepy. I liked being close to Prince Edward County for the biking. Not much of a party atmosphere; you'd have to get to Belleville (or, even better, Kingston) to find any decent bars, if that's your thing.

For the people who are doing or have done some OJT:

How much travleing do you get to do? Not talking overseas or anything, but I've heard a number of people say they took weekend trips to the US for certain events etc.

Also, anyone done OJT in Cold Lake?

I'm trying to figure out where to do OJT as well.

What would you say is an ideal OJT for you?  Getting to see what a few of the different communities are like (tac hel, jets, sar)
What aircraft do you want to fly? Tac hel
Where would you like to live? Anywhere in Canada.  My french is a little rusty but I'm completely bilingual.
What do you do for fun? Exercise, read, some partying.  I love skiing!

I've seen the list of bases with Griffons on the dnd site.  Of those I've only been to Valcartier and Borden.  Pet seems like a good options to experience what tac hel is like, but I'm open to any ideas/advice.

Thanks!

jmnavy said:
I'm trying to figure out where to do OJT as well.

What would you say is an ideal OJT for you?  Getting to see what a few of the different communities are like (tac hel, jets, sar)
What aircraft do you want to fly? Tac hel
Where would you like to live? Anywhere in Canada.  My french is a little rusty but I'm completely bilingual.
What do you do for fun? Exercise, read, some partying.  I love skiing!

I've seen the list of bases with Griffons on the dnd site.  Of those I've only been to Valcartier and Borden.  Pet seems like a good options to experience what tac hel is like, but I'm open to any ideas/advice.

Thanks!

Ideally, I'd be doing OJT somewhere that has Hornets, as jets will be my first choice (at least right now it is). I live in Calgary right now, enjoy the city life, but wouldnt be opposed to living somewhere smaller. I like the outdoorsman type life, but I also like winding down on (or up) on weekends via pubs/bars/clubs. I'm a huge fitness freak, but i'm sure there are gyms everywhere. I'd wouldnt have a problem living somewhere where French is spoken a lot - it would give me a chance to practice as well as soak in a little French-Canadian culture. Weather-wise, I prefer warm - but if it means being around hornets, I'd live in Siberia.

J_Muir said:
Ideally, I'd be doing OJT somewhere that has Hornets, as jets will be my first choice (at least right now it is). I live in Calgary right now, enjoy the city life, but wouldnt be opposed to living somewhere smaller. I like the outdoorsman type life, but I also like winding down on (or up) on weekends via pubs/bars/clubs. I'm a huge fitness freak, but i'm sure there are gyms everywhere. I'd wouldnt have a problem living somewhere where French is spoken a lot - it would give me a chance to practice as well as soak in a little French-Canadian culture. Weather-wise, I prefer warm - but if it means being around hornets, I'd live in Siberia.

Your going to rapidly find that Hornets are no the be-all-end-all of flying.  What those guys get in a year for flying time, i get in a quarter.  Also, as far as OJT is concerned, dont get too wrapped up into that until you are actualy accepted to be a pilot.  I told you before, along with several others, that you have more pressing things to set your mind to before even getting there.

and finaly.....be careful what you wish for !!

cdnaviator said:
Your going to rapidly find that Hornets are no the be-all-end-all of flying.  What those guys get in a year for flying time, i get in a quarter.  Also, as far as OJT is concerned, dont get too wrapped up into that until you are actualy accepted to be a pilot.  I told you before, along with several others, that you have more pressing things to set your mind to before even getting there.

and finaly.....be careful what you wish for !!

I do hear that Bagotville is kind of nice in the winter, lots of night life.

cdnaviator said:
 I told you before, along with several others, that you have more pressing things to set your mind to before even getting there.

I know I do - the previous poster just asked, so I told him what I would like in a perfect world. It's like asking me what I'd do with 5 million dollars. Do I have it? No. Do I know what I'd do with it if I did, you bloody bet I do!

And like I said, right now, as a complete virgin to flying, I find jets extremely fascinating. Will my viewpoints change when I get through some of the training? Quite possibly. I just plan on enjoying every hour I spend in the air and whatever happens after that was meant to be.

J_Muir said:
I just plan on enjoying every hour I spend in the air
I haven't.

"It's better to be down here wishing that you were up there than up here wishing that you were down there."

I can appreciate your dilemma;  "oh me, oh my, wherever shall I go for the summer to zip around in an airplane at ludicrous speeds?"  Kinda like a choice I had once....All summer in Gagetown supporting CFSME, or all summer in Gagetown driving APCs for CTC... decisions, decisions.  :p

My understanding was that it would be a good idea to consider the OJT time... Because you may see a lot of it while trying to get into the various courses...  ;D

Seeing as how the majority of your OJT is spent in an office doing paperwork, you should pick a posting that has something to offer outside of work.

Who wants to live in Cold Lake for 6-8 months so you can do a clerk's job and hope to one day get a ride on a hornet?

You'll be doing pretty much the same job whether you're in Cold Lake or Montreal so why not go with the city that has the most to offer? Or get posted somewhere near home so you don't get lonely (it really sucks if you're the only OJT at the base).

EDIT:  438 squadron in St-Hubert is a great posting  8)

I agree... Location will probably have a large part on people's decisions... Some will choose wanting to be close to home... Others to be as far away from home as the country will permit..

Bo said:
EDIT:  438 squadron in St-Hubert is a great posting  8)

What made it a good posting for you? Was there lots to do when you weren't actually working? Did you get to fly every now and then?

Thanks a lot

Back