• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dartmouth Estate Sale-Professor of Military History-01 Jan 2017

heavy reader

Inactive
Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/events/672198879620786/

One day only - Please share!

35 Wentworth Street, Dartmouth
8-4, Jan 1st, 2017 only

I am assisting in the liquidation of the estate of Dr David Jones of Halifax, NS. An avid book collector and scholar, Dr Jones left behind a legacy of 15,000 books. It was my intention to start a bookstore in Darmouth using this as my initial stock, however this was not possible. Now all of the books have to find a home before close of business on January 1st.

ALL BOOKS ARE $1 EACH OR $20 per box.

While there are some common books in the massive collection, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for the avid reader or collector.

The collection consists of the following main themes:

Military (Canadian, worldwide, current and historical);
Russian military (much written in cerillic);
Naval (current and historical) - an amazing nautical collection by iteself;
UK, Scotland and Ireland;
Fine literature (poetry, biographies);
Historical (original documentation, historical books and current);
Folio society books (shown above-approx 300 titles);
China (military);
Japan (military);
Pirates;
Local Nova Scotia;
Large Newfoundland Collection;
Antique books (Bibles);
Many signed and 1st Editions;
WW1 collection;
German (WW1 and WW2 Collection);
France (WW1 and WW2 Collection);
Early Psychology, Sociology;
Roman collection;
US historical;
US military; and
American indigenous.

Also includes the following large collections:

Early Canadiana;
World histories;
Canadian Inuit;
Canadian Native Studies;
Black studies (much local).

This is not a complete list!

Dr Jones' work included microfilming ancient soviet books for the US Government. Both the microfilms AND the soviet books are available. Many dating in back to the 1700's and 1800's.

As we are vacating the premises, we also have "library" type shelving ($200 for all), approx 40 fine bookshelves (antique and modern), library book trolleys ($20 each) and office furniture.

There is a small amount of antiques (hanging candles, Friendly Village dishes, original blueprints of Canada's First Battleship - HMS NIOBE).

It must all be removed by 4 pm on the 1st of Jan (2nd of Jan for larger shelving). Please bring your own boxes/bags and note attendance is at your own risk.

I'm surprised none of the universities are snapping up that stuff.

Dimsum said:
I'm surprised none of the universities are snapping up that stuff.

Nor any of the Maritime and other military museums right there in Halifax.

I was just there.  If anyone can make it, please do.  He's going to be forced to throw the lot into a dumpster, what doesn't sell today.  Very distressing to hear him say that.  NS was there and tried his best to get what he could.

Indeed.

I scooped up about 70 or so books with my 3 minions in tow. 

I'm going to be bringing some of them into work, as I'm trying to re-establish a naval technical library at Base Logistics.

Some are for my own collection though.

Alas, no way to get through all of them, there were boxes and boxes of unopened books.

Amazing, sad.

NS

If I was in town I would have stopped by... any old RCN training manuals to be seen ?

Not that I noticed, however, as NS said there were boxes and boxes of unopened books.  I saw one book that was intriguing, it was about the Russian/Japanese war of 1905. Written in German and published in Berlin in 1909.  Alas, I don't speak/read German.

Any sign of an Ashley Book of Knots? That thing is the bible for fancy work and marlinspike types, and goes for big bucks.

With regard to having to throw these books away...
My local library experience (university, municipal and unit) is that they don't have the staff to care for more books.  The local university is doing a major library renovation and many old and not so old books were discarded.  They weren't loaned.  Supporting departments no longer exist. etc. They continuously buy current books that professors request and have to make space for them. 'Libraries have to move on to modern or current needs.'  e..g. more computer terminals, listening rooms, study spaces, seminar space but not book warehouses. Old books are for archives. So, book dumping must be expected.  Throwing away a good book is still upsetting to me but I have seen the cost of shelving them: even my house is only so big.

Sandyson said:
Supporting departments no longer exist.....
....in lieu of graduate degrees in Feminist Dance Therapy, et al.  :not-again:

Thanks for those who stopped by.

We have three more days, and at the end I have found someone to take the remainder (Value Villiage). So, none will likely end up in the dumpster.  Hope to see you all again on Monday night!

***NEW: Advance purchase/viewing for military families only.

Due to a large demand for preview by military members, an early bird date of NEXT MONDAY, 16 January 1830-2200 hrs for MILITARY AND MILITARY FAMILIES ONLY***

I am disposing of 14,000 books (thousands of naval, army and airforce),  shelving, antiques etc on 16, 21-22 January, 2017 only.

MONDAY: 16 Jan 1830-2200 hrs - MILITARY, VETS AND MIL FAMILIES ONLY.
Saturday: 21 Jan 8-4pm (books $1 each)
Sunday: 22 Jan 1030 am-4pm (books free)

On Sunday, the dumpster comes! Please help us find homes for this outstanding collection of books from the early 1800's to present day novels. Some of the major categories include:

Local (history, poetry, military); Newfoundland; Atlantic Oceanography; Soviet military; Fine Literature; Canadian Military (Land, Sea and Air); Worldwide military; History; Early Canadiana; Ireland, Scotland and UK; Folklore; Indigenous & Black studies; Naval; Middle East; USA; Biographie;s Early children's;Poetry; German lit; French History; Chinese and Japanese military; Ship building; Rome; Jewish Reference books; Viking; 1960's fiction books Plus much more!

Prices: Books: Free (Sun only)
Shelving: $Free-$20
Wheeled trolleys: $10-$20
Library shelves: $150 for all. 

Please help me save these books from the dump!

There are lots of books for everyone, so please spread the word! Please help us find homes for this outstanding collection of books from the early 1800's to present day novels.

There are lots of books for everyone, so please spread the word!

Photos available at:

<a shape="rect" href="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1881092205444289.1073741896.1516778908542289&type=1&l=24ccc63ecf" rel="nofollow">https://www.facebook.com/<wbr />media/set/<wbr />?set=a.1881092205444289.107<wbr />3741896.1516778908542289&t<wbr />ype=1&l=24ccc63ecf

Marcus
(902) 466-4339 (after hours only)

This pleases me to no end to hear you're not going to have to bin them after all.  I was horrified when you mentioned that to me that day.  I wish I was still in the area to come back for some more as I could have spent several days looking through things.  Thanks again for letting me get the few books that I was able to get on such a short visit and at such a reasonable cost.  Good luck with your sale.

Back