• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Damages to Vandra

AbdullahD

Inactive
Reaction score
Well Vandra my Valiant 40, got damaged due to the wind in sooke :( not sure who will cover repairs. The marinas liability, my comprehensive or my pocket book :(

Kinda heart breaking.
Abdullah

Attachments

• image14.jpeg
    image14.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 194
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_8801.jpg
    IMG_8801.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 215
  • image9.jpeg
    image9.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 182
Oh, that sucks, I feel for you. Were you using spring lines?

Target Up said:
Oh, that sucks, I feel for you. Were you using spring lines?

To be honest, I am a sailing n00b. I don't think so... we tied from the cleat to the dock. Googling online I see a spring line would have helped reduce movement.. my brother may have, but I honestly do not know. I am still learning.

Anything over about 22' long should throw out at least one spring line, two is better, especially if moored on the outside where incoming wave action can throw it into the dock pretty hard if there's any slack.

just a few hours can beat up a boat badly, just hauled our Double Eagle over to my sisters place and realized the extent of damage from being tied to a dock poorly by my nephews.

I don’t know much about boat maintenance, even less about sailboats. (We only had a 15’ outboard when I was much younger. We’d cruise up and down parts of the St. Lawrence here and there, a bit of water-skiing, a bit of fishing.) But I love boats of all types; tallships, motorboats, yachts, etc. We live near the water and see many come through a popular tourist/historic area during the warmer months. I love being on the water and would certainly be saddened if it was my own. I’ve noted some of your past posts mentioning the investment and I’m really sorry to see the damage. I hope you’re able to repair it one way or another quickly.

Sorry to read this. Lots of damage to boats all around the area. I live in Central Saanich and one of the sailboats that has been docked just off the James Island Dock was sitting up on the beach this morning. Bad news for someone. That doesn't make you feel better, but there's lots of it going around.

BeyondTheNow said:
I don’t know much about boat maintenance, even less about sailboats. (We only had a 15’ outboard when I was much younger. We’d cruise up and down parts of the St. Lawrence here and there, a bit of water-skiing, a bit of fishing.) But I love boats of all types; tallships, motorboats, yachts, etc. We live near the water and see many come through a popular tourist/historic area during the warmer months. I love being on the water and would certainly be saddened if it was my own. I’ve noted some of your past posts mentioning the investment and I’m really sorry to see the damage. I hope you’re able to repair it one way or another quickly.

Aye one way or another we will get her sorted :) have a week long trip planned with a local delivery captain in the area to salt spring island this july, he will spend the week teaching us too. So have to be ready for that ^^

Colin P said:
just a few hours can beat up a boat badly, just hauled our Double Eagle over to my sisters place and realized the extent of damage from being tied to a dock poorly by my nephews.

Dang, yeah she was only loose for a couple hours too. I have to thank some locals who caught it shortly after it happened and did what they could to help. I owe them dinner if ever i meet them.

OldTanker said:
Sorry to read this. Lots of damage to boats all around the area. I live in Central Saanich and one of the sailboats that has been docked just off the James Island Dock was sitting up on the beach this morning. Bad news for someone. That doesn't make you feel better, but there's lots of it going around.

Aye, I've got a big ole heart, so I feel for everyone. I have our personal insurances, the marina insurance and savings to help fix our boat back up to snuff.. others are not so lucky sadly. We will probably lose a few good boats due to this.

Abdullah

Sorry to see this, Abdullah.  As BtN said, I hope the repairs can be done and not break the bank. A boat can be pretty liberating...especially if BOAT does NOT mean ‘break out another thousand.’  Hopefully though the damage to the gel coat looks significant, there isn’t any major damage underlying to the hull.

Regards
G2G

Sorry to hear about Vandra, Abdullah.

I hope the necessary repairs are made at a reasonable cost to you.

Better yet, I hope your insurance covers the damage.

For some background on Vandra,

Accidentally bought a yacht 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/129985.0
2 pages.

Insurance has said they will cover it, just paying deductible of course.

My brother has been going hog wild on projects on her. When I get done my vacation I will have to show some before and after pictures for ya'll she is coming along nicely :)

All they guys are talking about UBI coming to Canada and if I can maintain factual residency and still get UBI.. my cruising plans may be moved up greatly ^^ (if UBI does come in, I expect the taxes I pay to skyrocket.. so my incentive to work will go down.. might as well sail eh?)

Any rate, we had good news today, so had to share it.
You guys get random posts from me.. because aside from news I do not go on the internet to much aside from facebook and some games... so here I am.
Lol
Abdullah

Great news, Abdullah.  Would definitely enjoy seeing some before-after pics.

Figured a little update work is going along nicely..

Sea cocks were iffy, so put all new through hulls in.
Transducers have been upgraded ^^
Propane locker now has it's own through hull.
Loads and loads of work being down, linking my Instagram to show pictures much more user friendly then here (just started using it haha).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CA9hx4RHzoA/?igshid=uwuelgy2jmkg

Hopefully we will be splashing her next Wednesday-ish, we have ferry tickets from Rupert to Hardy for Vacation in July, window cabin to boot  :) kids are all excited to be spending a night on the ferry and then a sailing trip + lessons on Vandra :)

Abdullah

Your lucky that damage was as high as it was, glad all is going well. We just had to purge our entire fuel system of water, hoping it is a result of condensation and not needing a new fuel tank.

Oh yeah, I am counting my lucky stars.

Speaking of fuel systems, we are installing a professional level polishing system and cleaning our tank out... good inch of sludge was found in the bottom of it :S

Last thing I want is to lose power motoring around the islands and need to call tow boat USA (buddy talked me into last year and I kept it for this year too.. just in case) or worse for the Coastgaurd.. I prefer to do everything in my power in every possible way so I never need to call the coastgaurd. I have my suspicions they get called on idiotic rescues far more then they like, because of people being fools lol.

You might enjoy this video. "how to build a new rudder" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1D63gfgW_I

Colin P said:
You might enjoy this video. "how to build a new rudder" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1D63gfgW_I

Thanks mate, it was a nice watch 👍

I heard about when they wrecked on the reef, but never followed them. Seems I missed out :)

Speaking of fuel polishing, here is a video on a Nordhaven 43 fuel system, just in case you win the lottery and want to step up. I swear Norhaven engine rooms are a Temple for piping geeks  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7d-ZpvmWLE

Go all in and put in a Sabre marine diesel as long as you feel like spending money.

Back