• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

D Mil C question

Mediman14

Inactive
Reaction score
I am only asking this question for GMK (General Military Knowledge) - How does D Mil C work? Besides having Mbr's career managers located in D Mil C, do they make the all the decisions? Do they have Supervisors ( Like Commanding Officers) that ultimately make decisions? My guess is yes but Does all trades have their Career Managers at D Mil C?

The Directorate of Military Careers is a Col/Capt(N) who manages five sections (each run by a LCol/Cdr) to manage the RCN, CA, RCAF, Joint, and Joint CSS occupations.

Career managers ultimately answer to a section head, but decision making is Command and Branch specific.  Some branches will have very formalized career management (the Infantry or Armoured Corps, for example) and their regimental authorities will work with the Career Managers to "make decisions" that balance the needs of the Institution and the Corps/Branch.

Infanteer said:
The Directorate of Military Careers is a Col/Capt(N) who manages five sections (each run by a LCol/Cdr) to manage the RCN, CA, RCAF, Joint, and Joint CSS occupations.

Career managers ultimately answer to a section head, but decision making is Command and Branch specific.  Some branches will have very formalized career management (the Infantry or Armoured Corps, for example) and their regimental authorities will work with the Career Managers to "make decisions" that balance the needs of the Institution and the Corps/Branch.

When you say Command, are you referring to a Mbr's Commanding Officer? or at a higher lever?

For the Combat Arms as you mention above - if an infanteers RSM and CO recommends a promotion to an Career Manager, Is that what you referring to as "Formalize"?

Mediman14 said:
When you say Command, are you referring to a Mbr's Commanding Officer? or at a higher lever?

For the Combat Arms as you mention above - if an infanteers RSM and CO recommends a promotion to an Career Manager, Is that what you referring to as "Formalize"?

What is this in relation to?

Tango2Bravo said:
What is this in relation to?

Based on his earlier post, I suspect this thread is linked to this post:

Mediman14 said:
If a posting to JPSU is strongly recommended by an BSurg for near future medical release and is supported by a Mbrs CO, how does a Mbr career manager go against them by not allowing it happen? Clearly a BSurg (Maj or LCol) and CO (LCol) get out ranked by a CWO? ???

kratz said:
Based on his earlier post, I suspect this thread is linked to this post:

You are entitled to your own opinion, however I am just wondering as I see this all the time!

Mediman14 said:
I am only asking this question for GMK (General Military Knowledge) - How does D Mil C work? Besides having Mbr's career managers located in D Mil C, do they make the all the decisions? Do they have Supervisors ( Like Commanding Officers) that ultimately make decisions? My guess is yes but Does all trades have their Career Managers at D Mil C?
I'd suggest a bit of self-education on this. On Monday, go to the Career Management website on the DIN.  There you can see the whole scheme of where the career managers are in the organization.  Many, if not most, CMs are now posting their CM powerpoint briefing deck there, explaining how things work for that MOSID.  That could include info such as SCRITS which are used at the national boards to assign points for certain courses, experience, posting etc.  There are likely going to be tables showing the promotion forecast, the numbers of files that went to the selection board, how many were manually added, how many were manually removed etc.  You'll see the breakdown of which CM in a shop covers which ranks or Regts for those that have more than one CM.  Some CMs are posting newsletters on a semi-regular basis.  There are links to various admin processes that take place within D Mil C, such as Admin Reviews, IR applications etc etc.

I think if you do a bit of digging on your own, 90% of your questions will be answered.

Mediman14 said:

When I say Command, I mean Command in the sense of the National Defence Act.  So, the Canadian Army, the Royal Canadian Navy, Military Personnel Command, etc, etc.

Promotions are governed in accordance with DND policy and the relevant DAOD.  Look it up and you will find the answers to your questions.

Back