• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

D E T-shirts for NCDs

gwp

Reaction score
DTG: R 021532Z SEP 08
SUBJ: NAVAL DRESS UPDATE - NAVAL COMBAT DRESS

Subj: Naval dress update - naval combat dress
bilingual message/message bilingue
ref: Canforgen 027/07 - 07 cms 008/07 191431z feb 07
1. Ref described the requirement to maintain an environmental identiy with regards to the wearing of cadpat clothing. Specifically para 2c authorized the wearing of black tee shirts to
reflect the navy identity.
2. Currently all personnel serving in marcom are permitted to wear a white crew neck tee shirt with their ncds. Effective immediately all personnel may wear their distinct elemental identifiers when wearing ncds as folllows:
A. Naval personnel - all personnel wearing the navy deu are authorized to acquire and wear, at no cost to the crown, a crew neck tee shirt without logos, jet black in colour, minimum 50 percent cotton/50 percent polyester as an undergarment to their ncds. Rank slip ons shall be the naval pattern as currently prescribed. White tee shirts may continue to be worn until black tee shirts are issued by the cf supply system.
B. Army personnel - all personnel wearing the army deu are authorized to wear the green tee shirt as issued by the cf supply system as an undergarment to their ncds. Ranks slip ons shall be the army pattern as currently prescribed. White tee shirts may continue to be worn.
C. Air force personnel - all personnel wearing the air force deu are authorized to wear the blue tee shirt as issued by the cf supply system as an undergarment to their ncds. Rank slip ons shall be the air force pattern as currently prescribed. White tee shirts may continue to be worn.
3. The acquisition of black tee shirts is in progress and will eventually be made available to authorized personnel through existing clothing distribution outlets. The quantity of tee shirts to be allotted for wear will be promulgated in due course

I'll tell you what, the ABSOLUTELY stupidest looking thing I see around 12 Wing and/or MARLANT/CFB Halifax is with out question the Army slip-ons (CADPAT) worn on goddamn NCDs.

I've seen some things that have made me shake my head before, but this combination is the most mickey-mouse retarded looking thing.  Everytime I see it I think "WTF".  How the hell the authorities ever made that ok is beyond me.  Atleast the Air Force personnel don't stand out or look like they picked up their uniform at the surplus store or Salvation Army.  ::)

I am happy to know though, that the Navy DEU personnel can't wear the Navy rank slip-on in CADPAT.  Because that would just look stupid (like CADPAT slip-ons do on NCDs).

Eye In The Sky said:
I am happy to know though, that the Navy DEU personnel can't wear the Navy rank slip-on in CADPAT. 

Why would they ? CADPAT ranks with black thread exist in the system for naval pers who wear CADPAT to work.

CDN Aviator said:
Why would they ? CADPAT ranks with black thread exist in the system for naval pers who wear CADPAT to work.

Yes thats what I am saying...I am glad 'someone' decided to go that way for Navy DEU pers who are required to wear CADPAT.  It would look as stupid as CADPAT on NCDs does. 

No reason the old rifle green with gold rank slip ons could not be worn. They  look better than CADPAT on NCD's.

Eye In The Sky said:
I'll tell you what, the ABSOLUTELY stupidest looking thing I see around 12 Wing and/or MARLANT/CFB Halifax is with out question the Army slip-ons (CADPAT) worn on goddamn NCDs.

I've seen some things that have made me shake my head before, but this combination is the most mickey-mouse retarded looking thing.  Everytime I see it I think "WTF".  How the hell the authorities ever made that ok is beyond me.  Atleast the Air Force personnel don't stand out or look like they picked up their uniform at the surplus store or Salvation Army.   ::)

I am happy to know though, that the Navy DEU personnel can't wear the Navy rank slip-on in CADPAT.  Because that would just look stupid (like CADPAT slip-ons do on NCDs).

ALMOST as stupid as some of the Air Force fossils that persist in wandering about with their wallets, oops, wedges on their melons while wearing CADPAT... I for one will be quite happy not only wearing my green T-shirts and CADPAT epaulets, but my green beret as well while wandering about in my NCD's when the need soon arrives.  Who cares if it looks stupid - they should have thought about that when they sent me to a Navy unit I guess.  What self-respecting Army guy wants to be confused for a Petty Officer when they're a Warrant Officer?

MM

sledge said:
No reason the old rifle green with gold rank slip ons could not be worn. They  look better than CADPAT on NCD's.

There has to be something better than wearing CADPAT/OD green on blue shirts and black NCD jackets.  

medicineman said:
ALMOST as stupid as some of the Air Force fossils that persist in wandering about with their wallets, oops, wedges on their melons while wearing CADPAT... I for one will be quite happy not only wearing my green T-shirts and CADPAT epaulets, but my green beret as well while wandering about in my NCD's when the need soon arrives.  Who cares if it looks stupid - they should have thought about that when they sent me to a Navy unit I guess.  What self-respecting Army guy wants to be confused for a Petty Officer when they're a Warrant Officer?

MM

Agreed on the head-wallet/CADPAT issue.  If people are still doing it, that is a LEADERSHIP issue as the directive from the CAS has been out for quite some time stating it is no longer authorized dress.  Those mbr's who still are should be sorted out by their CoC.

Atleast you agree that it DOES look stupid  ;D and FWIW, I'll never have to wear it BUT it looks retarded IMO.  You don't think your green beret gives you away as 'army' the same as my blue was gives me away as 'air force'?

Eye In The Sky said:
  Those mbr's who still are should be sorted out by their CoC.

Doest have to be from their CoC. It can be by anyone with the appropriate rank. I saw one individual from another unit doing exactly that not long ago. One of my jobs as a Sr. NCO is to enforce standards. I did exactly that.

CDN Aviator said:
Doest have to be from their CoC. It can be by anyone with the appropriate rank. I saw one individual from another unit doing exactly that not long ago. One of my jobs as a Sr. NCO is to enforce standards. I did exactly that.

If they were still wearing the wedge this long AFTER the directive, that is a failure of their CoC.  Someone from their unit *must* have seen them wearing the damn thing.  I was the same rank you are now (for 9 years), and am aware of the rest of that stuff, and did the same thing myself.   8) 

Eye In The Sky said:

Are army and air force pers now wearing NCDs ashore?

I pick up people for there dress regardless of the rank.

Like yesterday a LCDR wearing a Beret in his DEU's, or the PO1 Submarnier with his Dolphins on the wrong side of his shirt. Unreal!

I agree with army pers wearing CADPAT Slips-Ons on NCD's looks retarded and my last two COXN's squashed it.

HFXCrow said:
Like yesterday a LCDR wearing a Beret in his DEU's

Technically, unless it's DEU 1 (with medals), it's not wrong.  Unusual, yes.  Reminds me of a commercial a few months ago (I can't remembe for what) with a LS in DEU and a beret.

CADPAT Slip-On

I have never seen somebody wearing 1A's and a Beret. But I may be wrong.

Eye In The Sky said:
There has to be something better than wearing CADPAT/OD green on blue shirts and black NCD jackets.  

I'd just be happy wearing CADPAT - however, as there is too much polyester in it to safely wear in an area where there is a possibility of fire in the people tube, I guess I don't have alot of choice.  And to be honest, wearing the green beret with the uniform looks more retarded than the slipons IMO - what do the poor Army schmoes stuck at sea have to say about CADPAT NCD's  ;D?

MM

HFXCrow said:
Like yesterday a LCDR wearing a Beret in his DEU's,

Berets are now authorized with 3A and 3C dress, and with 3B when the black (but not white) pants or skirt are being worn.  (Still not authorized for any rig that includes a tunic.)  However, like wearing boots with DEU, it seems not to be the done thing for officers.

HFXCrow said:
CADPAT Slip-On

I have never seen somebody wearing 1A's and a Beret. But I may be wrong.

No I mean....if the Coxn squashed the wearing of the CADPAT one, what one did he/she have them wear?

N. McKay said:
Berets are now authorized with 3A and 3C dress, and with 3B when the black (but not white) pants or skirt are being worn.  (Still not authorized for any rig that includes a tunic.)  However, like wearing boots with DEU, it seems not to be the done thing for officers.

From the good book, CFP 265. Chapter 6, Section 1, Para 3. Navy Uniforms:

a.  Except as noted in sub-paragraph b., navy personnel shall wear the following headdress:

(1) ceremonial, mess and service dress – cap/hat service dress, tuque, Yukon cap, or turban;

(2) No. 2C (mess shipboard), No.3E base dress and No. 5D (tropical shipboard) orders – as above and beret; and

(3) operational dress (other than No. 5D) – beret, turban, or other headdress suitable for wear on operations.

b.  Members of a submarine’s company may wear the beret with all orders of dress when deployed away from their home port or when moving to and from their boat on the day of departure or return from deployment.

c.  Navy military police shall wear a scarlet band/ribbon on their cap/hat/turban service dress and a scarlet cloth backing to their cap badges on the beret in accordance with Chapter 7.

d.  The beret may be worn as an optional headdress with the following navy order of dress: Nos. 3A, 3B (with black trousers/pants/skirt) and 3C. The service dress CAP/HAT shall be the only authorized headdress to be worn with No. 3 and 3B (summer whites) orders of dress.

The commercial mentioned was one of a series last year with returned perrsonnel from overseas, TFA mostly IIRC.  It was a Leading Seaman sitting wearing a tunic and he did have a beret on his lap.  He was a Clearance Diver.
As for Naval personnel in CADPAT, I am in Valcartier presently for workups.  They don't issue CADPAT slip-ons with black thread anymore as they are not authorised due to the rank being too hard to see.  What you can get is OD with black thread or you can wear the Army slip-ons.  I have both, but have been wearing the Navy ones.  Wish they would hurry with the black tee shirts.

Back