• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cyber Operator trade Mega Thread

Good2Golf

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
2,069
Points
1,160
renemongeau said:
I would use the closest french translation from simplified technical English ASD-STE100.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TERMIUM Plus(R) is the Government of Canada’s official translation bank.

Regards
G2G
 

macarena

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi, Mates!
May I ask about the Cyber Ops trade ( https://forces.ca/en/career/cyber-operator ), if someone would know in which rank the candidate will be on its BOQT?
I've read somewhere that for some specialized jobs, the candidate is ranked as soldier only in the BMQ.
I would like to confirm it with some veteran, if possible.
 

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
1,769
Points
890
macarena said:
Hi, Mates!
May I ask about the Cyber Ops trade ( https://forces.ca/en/career/cyber-operator ), if someone would know in which rank the candidate will be on its BOQT?
I've read somewhere that for some specialized jobs, the candidate is ranked as soldier only in the BMQ.
I would like to confirm it with some veteran, if possible.

Cyber Operator is a non-commissioned trade. As a candidate on Basic Military Qualification they would be at the rank of PRivate (Recruit), or for the navy, "Orginary Seaman". While there are a few trades that offer quicker promotion to Corporal / Leading Seaman, such as Military Police, I haven't seen anything suggesting that Cyber Operator is one of them. Howeer once you're a corporal and trained in your trade, they do make specialist pay to increase their salary- it's about an extra $8400 a year.

As a cyber op, you'd spend your first couple years going to college, paid for by the CAF. The skillsets learned by Cyber Ops are already in high demand and only getting better, so it's a certification and professional experience that gives a lot of options for a post-CAF career. I see the police and intelligence communities screaming for people with this knowledge, and corporate/public sector information security branches likewise badly need people who can do this.
 

macarena

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Brihard said:
(...)
As a cyber op, you'd spend your first couple years going to college, paid for by the CAF.
(...)

Hi, Brihard!
Thanks a lot for your words!
It is really tempting as a trade.
Unfortunatelly, I can't afford 2-3 years being paid as soldier. I am from IT, I have skills and experiences on Information Security, including in a SOC team, but for this while the CAF doesn't seem to be accepting DEO for this trade.  :(
 

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
1,769
Points
890
macarena said:
Hi, Brihard!
Thanks a lot for your words!
It is really tempting as a trade.
Unfortunatelly, I can't afford 2-3 years being paid as soldier. I am from IT, I have skills and experiences on Information Security, including in a SOC team, but for this while the CAF doesn't seem to be accepting DEO for this trade.  :(

If you want to use your skills in protecting Canada, have you considered Communication Security Establishment, or Canadian Security Intelligence Service? Both do some pretty amazing work and have a huge need for skilled and loyal IT professionals.
 

macarena

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Brihard said:
(...) have you considered Communication Security Establishment, or Canadian Security Intelligence Service? Both do some pretty amazing work and have a huge need for skilled and loyal IT professionals.

I've seen some months ago, some job posts from CSIS, but they were asking for more years of experience in Information Security that I have.
But, anyways, thanks for this extra tip also.  :D
 

brihard

Army.ca Fixture
Mentor
Reaction score
1,769
Points
890
macarena said:
I've seen some months ago, some job posts from CSIS, but they were asking for more years of experience in Information Security that I have.
But, anyways, thanks for this extra tip also.  :D

Check out CSE. They have hiring for recent IT grads.
 

PuckChaser

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
581
Points
1,060
Nuggs said:
There isn't one at this point.

Sure as hell hope we don't create another Officer trade to handle it.

As for pay, Cyber Op is Spec 1, which will outperform most Officer pay scales for quite a few years before promotion to Captain.
 

macarena

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Brihard said:
Check out CSE. They have hiring for recent IT grads.

Hello, Brihard!
I didn't realised that one about CSE. Thanks again for this valuable tip.

Happy New Year for all!  :nod: :D
 

Crockett

Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
PuckChaser said:
Sure as hell hope we don't create another Officer trade to handle it.

As for pay, Cyber Op is Spec 1, which will outperform most Officer pay scales for quite a few years before promotion to Captain.
There has been lots of talk for the past few years. SigO and CELE both with hats in the ring. Plenty of chatter about SubOccs vs streams vs trade. AERE may be jumping into the mix now as well.
 

SnowMacho

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hello:

Does cyber Operator work with everybody? Some people spend a lot of effort and they don't want to waste their time with politicians who need a big social life.

Is it a problem to test security issues before an interview? I will call to explain what I am trying to do before. However, I do not want problem with police. I have software projects in my computers and don't want someone who plays with that. 

Is it possible to work and study for another diploma in math or fundamental science? I dislike these security certifications.
 

cyber_lass

Guest
Reaction score
31
Points
280
:goodpost:

My personal opinion is that the biggest difficulty the CAF will have in developing highly technical and specialized Offensive/Defensive capabilities in the Cyber Domain will be the "prick measuring contest" that's an ingrained trait in classical military culture.

Small Wars Journal put out a great article a few years ago called "Leadership of Cyber Warriors: Enduring Principles and New Directions".



If the military wants to try and steal some of the brain power from these places:

fbwm_cw_07.jpg


1412788310756952649.jpg


Than the paradigm better be changed because the top IT talent cares far less about PR's on the bench press and completing the Petawawa Ironman than they do about intellectual ability and critical thinking.

I think the article I alluded above provides a very good example of the difference between cyber warriors vice kinetic warriors:

I can only speak from the civilian side... But I am one of these folks. I speak at conferences. I have a lab at home. Even run a honeypot. I do malware analysis and break cryptography for fun. I am a rare breed, even in the cyber world. But we do exist and we are the ones you want. Though... as you/the article out, we also flirt with "grey" areas as it is how we hone our trade. We don't like people who can't appreciate our brains. We may also be sporty, but the thing that drives us, is our brains. That is all I will say in the open. Best.
 
Top