• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Criminal Records Check - CRC (Merged)

I was looking into what sort of information a criminal record check entails, and found this:

https://nationalpardon.org/criminal-records-information/

Found it amusing the part that it is somewhat common to get arrested without being charged or fined. It is the part I am wondering about. Does not specifically say 'fine', but fines may be treated as criminal offense charges I am guessing...so likely show up on record too, even if no arrest.

Interesting to note also that it may include whenever you get questioned, and I guess in turn ID'd, about a crime, whether or not you are involved or witness.

So, a reliability check will end up including explaining some of my weird yet mostly cordial relationship with police, despite never being criminally charged or convicted, yet fined but later dismissed. :p

No.  No no no no no.

A Criminal Record Check is to check to see if you have a CRIMINAL RECORD.

It does not include any internal police databases or intel notes, nor does it include any information about specific police interactions/conversations/times you've had to call the police, etc etc.

*If you don't know WTF your talking about, as someone who isn't even in the CF or emergency services, don't give bad advice to other people.

(This being said, different police agencies do include different types of information on their individual Criminal Record check disclosures, which can appear to be damaging depending on the circumstances.  However, it is a record of criminal conviction - aka criminal record - that will directly affect your application to the CF.  Call up your local PD & ask)

serenamorrowind said:
So, a reliability check will end up including explaining some of my weird yet mostly cordial relationship with police, despite never being criminally charged or convicted, yet fined but later dismissed. :p

A fine is a punishment and you must be convicted in order to be punished.  So, if you were fined, you were convicted.  Even a traffic ticket (for which you pay a fine) is a conviction (read the fine print).  The ticket is the charge and when you sign it and mail it back with a cheque, you are pleading guilty to the offence, acknowledging the conviction and paying the fine all at once.

Having said this, convictions are not necessarily criminal.  You don't necessarily need to tell the Recruiting Centre about your traffic tickets.

deleted said:
Hello All,

Just wondering, are summary offenses a damaging thing on the CF Criminal Records Check? I got a $135 Public Intox fine 4 years ago that I paid off and have heard nothing about it since then. I'm applying for Direct Entry Officer now and I was wondering how much of an issue this is on the background check.

Thank You

Keep in mind that everything in your past could impact your application.

Looks at it this way: You're applying for a DEO Occupation that has 1 spot left.  It's between you and another person, you both have the same degree, you both did the same on the CFAT/TSD and scored the same on the Interview.  The only difference is you have that conviction and the other person does not...

This isn't to say that you will never get it, it's to manage your expectations that the process of joining the CAF is competitive. There are currently somewhere between 15,000 and 16,000 live applications (Reg F) for approximately 6,000 positions; every little piece of who you are and what you've done impacts the selection process.

Pusser said:
Having said this, convictions are not necessarily criminal.  You don't necessarily need to tell the Recruiting Centre about your traffic tickets.
Agree with post, just want to add on that if you have a Traffic ticket that you've either not paid yet, or if you're fighting the ticket than you do need to divulge that information.

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this, Please let me explain my issue...

I have been selected for further processing by the CAF and asked to come in to the recruitment center in a weeks time for my testing (the trades I choose are in high demand I was told). I have declared that I have a criminal record to them and they have not asked for any further information from me regarding it. Now my criminal record is extensive both Young offender and Adult charges and range from robbery(as a young offender) to breaches of probation, with my only adult charges being breaches of probation and a cultivation for personal use charge.
        I have on the other hand been out of trouble and had zero contact with law enforcement for almost 13 years now. having gotten my last charge in 2006 with any legal obligations ending in 2007 and have since went onto become a different person and have even held jobs as high end managers for large hotel and resort chains as well as been in charge of large sums of money and sensitive financial information.  They asked what my most recent charge was but not about any others so now my question is before going up to the appointment next week since I live several hours away should I disclose my full record or would they of looked it up already. As well will they take into account the major changes I've made in my life since changing my behaviour or will such a record automatically disqualify me from CSIS clearance. Thank you for your help.

Best Regards
ZR

See also,

Criminal Records Check - CRC (Merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/12896/post-1532296.html#msg1532296
13 pages.

Thank you. I have been reading through that thread and have been slowly coming to the decision that I more then likely wont pass the clearance even though my record is quite old, just do to the nature of the charges and the amount of them. Though I think I will still go to the appointment and see what happens and possibly I will be given a chance to explain my self and the amount of effort I put into changing. I am slightly worried though because I raise 2 children and support a disabled spouse, so im wondering now if I did get accepted and left my current position could I a month or two down the road be discharged when the security clearance is finally completed? thank you again

ZR

Razzar said:
... could I a month or two down the road be discharged when the security clearance is finally completed? thank you again

ZR

I have not seen this happen unless you commit a serious offence while serving.  Prior to enrollment, they will complete an Enhanced Reliability Check (ERC) and depending on your trade you will need a much higher clearance.  ERC basically covers you to rumor.  I think you need at least a level 2 clearance for any trade in the CAF these days.

Razzar said:
Thank you. I have been reading through that thread and have been slowly coming to the decision that I more then likely wont pass the clearance even though my record is quite old, just do to the nature of the charges and the amount of them. Though I think I will still go to the appointment and see what happens and possibly I will be given a chance to explain my self and the amount of effort I put into changing. I am slightly worried though because I raise 2 children and support a disabled spouse, so im wondering now if I did get accepted and left my current position could I a month or two down the road be discharged when the security clearance is finally completed? thank you again

ZR

Razzar, if you are looking to join the Regular Force you should be giving significant consideration to the impact that it will have on your family. You didn't specify but if your spouse requires your physical support (opposed to just financial) this may be an issue.

A career in the CAF more often than not requires frequent and lengthy periods of time away from one's family for courses, exercises, taskings, and deployments. Whether or not you can meet these conditions of service is an eligibility requirement to serve and will be asked in the interview.

I was told by my recruiter that I need a record suspension for my enrollment. My DUI charge is from 1995. I really didn't think that a 24 year old charge would matter, since I have been a "good boy" ever since. If I have to have one, I will get it. Is that something new or does it vary recruiter to recruiter?

Ironically, the processing fee for the record suspension is $631.00 and my fine back then was only $500. Go figure.

Jonezy76 said:
I was told by my recruiter that I need a record suspension for my enrollment. My DUI charge is from 1995. I really didn't think that a 24 year old charge would matter, since I have been a "good boy" ever since. If I have to have one, I will get it. Is that something new or does it vary recruiter to recruiter?

For reference to the discussion,

DUI - Effects on Joining?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/22214.125
6 pages.

Mike, I've read that one and several other threads related to this one. Unfortunately, many aren't current and some date back a decade or more. I posted here because it is the most current. I've emailed my recruiter and await his response.

Thanks for your response.
Cheers,
Brad

Jonezy76 said:
Mike, I've read that one and several other threads related to this one. Unfortunately, many aren't current and some date back a decade or more. I posted here because it is the most current. I've emailed my recruiter and await his response.

Cheers,
Brad

The answer is of course..... It depends.

If it was a long time ago, I would recommend seeking out a pardon.

Hire a lawyer to do it for you, it will cost more but they will get it done right.

https://www.pardons.org/pardons/faqs/

Jonezy76 said:
Unfortunately, many aren't current and some date back a decade or more.

"DUI - Effects on Joining?" was active as recently as last year.

I use this Sticky as my guideline when posting to merged topics of discussion on specific subjects such as this,

Necroposting - Not always a bad idea 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/87278.0.html

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of official, up to date, information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

Jonezy76 said:

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)

Thank you for the responses Humphrey, Mike, and Brihard.

I have all the forms needed, along with the guide, and have started the ball rolling toward my record suspension already. As it will cost over $1000 as is, ($631 application fee + CRC fee + court fees + time off work) I was hoping not to have to do it to enroll. I understand, at the very best, that it would delay my enrollment. A record suspension takes 6 months to process AND costs a fair chunk of change, so a delay would happen either way.

It seems, though, that without it, my enrollment may be halted altogether.

My Recruiter, who is aware of my record, (because I had brought in a recent CRC with my enrollment package) has decided to continue with enrollment despite this "hiccup", as he called it.

I go for my CFAT, FORCE, medical and interview next week. Wish me luck!

Cheers,
Brad

Remember that a recruiter's job is to get people into the CAF, not keep them out.  If there's a good chance of enrollment, they will continue the process (as they should).  Rely on them to provide you with the best advice and best course of action.

As far as I know, your young offender record is of minor importance (if any at all) and if your adult record is suspended, then that too should not be a big issue.  Note, however, that I am NOT a recruiter.  I do remember though that the old security clearance personal history forms asked something along the lines of, "do you have a record of criminal offences for which you have not been pardoned?"  To me, that means that once pardoned (now "record suspended"), your criminal record is no longer an issue.

Sorry for the late post; I've been on course/TD/leave and haven't been the best at keeping up with my social media accounts.
In this event please note that it'll be the PSO (possibly RPSO) that will review your past and make recommendations. 
As Pusser said "a recruiter's job is to get people into the CAF, not keep them out"; recruiters are there to inform you along the way of the recruiting process and assist you along the way.

Back