• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Coopers TEST

• Thread starter Thread starter dimmer
  • Start date Start date
D

dimmer

O.K. here it is the coopers test set out in the book about the canadian spc frcs (jtf2),this is the test;

a,1 1/2 mile run in maximum 11 min
b,40 consecutive push ups
c,5 consecutive overhand pull ups
d,40 sit ups in one min
e,65kg bench press
this is the basic test it will give you a passing grade on it if you can complete these tasks one after another,if you want to go for the top score of 100+ then try this one
a,do the run in 8:45 or less
b,58 continous push ups in 1 min
c,58 sit ups in 1 min
d,14 overhand pull ups (full extention)
e,110kg bench press 3 times :eek:

thats it people strive for this one and give yourself an exam once a week see how you progress.
good luck :salute:

Whoa.. the basic test is challenging enough.

For the bench press, that would be two 45-pound plates and two 5-pound plates, assuming a standard bench-press bar is 45 pounds?

Is there anyone on this forum that is able to do just the basic?

Yes,
And most of the second test,
Although I‘ll have to check on the second running time and second benchpress tonight.
110KG is a whole load of weight, even if it‘s three times.

I used to weigh 110kg- can‘t imagine someone lifting me once let alone 3 times!!

Yeah that‘s only because my teenage years belonged to coaches, trainers and sports teams and not to myself though, so it‘s impressive but sad ahaha.

The one I use is something like 40 Pounds, I‘m honestly not sure anymore.
I‘ve never found bench press to be an accurate way of testing athleticism, just strength, so I never spent much time on it.
It‘s good for strength, but the best way I‘ve found to improve athletic ability is to cut down on body fat and improve pushups; as they require a total body effort, more-so then tossing up a press. Being flexible is extremely useful too, I thought the coopers test had a flexibility aspect of it. Yoga, yoga yoga. :D

Anyhoo, I‘m sure someone with a heck of a lot more knowledge can correct me on that, but that‘s how I‘ve always trained.

I‘ve never found bench press to be an accurate way of testing athleticism, just strength, so I never spent much time on it.
Many qualified trainers, myself included, do not believe bench pressing to be an accurate way of testing anything.

Wow, Che, that‘s incredibly impressive! I‘m doing my BMQ now (almost completed it) and I don‘t think anyone I know in the military could do that and some of them are airborne!

I tested at the gym a few days ago.....

54 pushups in 1 min
50 situps in 1 min
16 pullups
09:51 mins for 1.5 mile run
275 bench press 6 times ( thanks to many years of football )

I am aiming to score 100 within the next few months.
I use the Coopers test every few months to check my progress.

Tpr. Orange,
Read it again buddy. I agree, 143 isn‘t that bad. However, 243 is a little bit more of a challenge.

Stu

What‘s the big deal about the Cooper test? Does the CF use this for testing? If not, why the big deal?

The Cooper Test is used by JTF-2 during the selection process.. there is no break‘s between anything, its to test physical endurance

My memory may not be correct, but iirc the "basic" Cooper test was, with exception of chin ups and bench press, the "basic" PT test when I joined...the difference being was the Chin ups were 9, and no bench press.

You got two little things wrong
b,58 continous push ups in 1 min
You have as much time as you need to do the push-ups...it just has to be continuous movement combined with proper form.

e,110kg bench press 3 times
You only have to bench it once and even then it is only the lift portion you have to do.
For the bench press two people will lift the bar off the rack place it about three inches from you chest. You will then grip the bar, the tester will ask you if you are ready. Once you give him the nod, he‘ll say lift(or something to that effect). You will lift the bar(if you can) and once you‘ve reached full extension or have failed that weight the two people that lowered the bar for you will then rack it for you.

If I was to take the test, and my 1 rep max is about 205-215lbs, would they let me decide how much weight to use?

Or, do they make you do the minimum if you can‘t handle the 243lbs?

Or, do they progressively add weight until you fail?
If this is the case, it would be hard to do your actual 1 rep max by the time you got to it.

I can run 1.5 mile in 10:45 seconds.
I can do 49 non-stop push ups.
I can do 45 sit ups in 1 min.
I can do 7-8 chin ups.
I have not attempted the bench press, but I imagine 175 lbs should not be an issue.

My goal which I have two years to train for is as follows.

1.5 mile in 8:30 (that's 2:15 off of my current time, It is possible but I have concluded that 1.5mile in 8:30 is a full fledged sprint not a jog)
75 non-stop push ups.
60 sit ups in 1 min.
15 chin ups.
200 lbs bench press.

It will not be easy, It will require weekends of dedicated training while others are in bars getting drunk. I will achieve my goal, failure is not an option. Hopefully I can find a buddy willing to aid in my training & keeping track of progress etc.. By the way, my current run time of 1.5 mile in 10:45 seconds is from an outdoors track which is 1 minute away from my house in back of the school I live next to, If the test is done on a treadmill, my current 1.5 mile time would be roughly 10:00 minutes.

Anyways, It would be interesting to see where everybody stands (honestly) on this test, also if people care to take the time to write there goals down *for those of you who plan on applying for a course which requires this test or NOT* I would like to see where the average Joe stands on this test. Thanks again.  :salute:

Not to pop any bubbles, but this is already being discussed in other thread(s):
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/63734.0.html

And here are some older threads in the subject:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/18848.0.html
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/569.0.html

Time for another Superthread??   :P

interesting topic.  I pump iron almost daily so my bench press is out of question, I can pump 270# for a rep or two.  12 pullups, "almost" 40 sit ups, will have to try a bit harder next time.  1.5km in 9:45 - what else was there? 

If I remember correctly JTF2 tests include swim, long jump, two-jump, unaerobic capacity spurts of 800m and 400m, squats - you name it.  High jump too. 

weiss said:
interesting topic.  I pump iron almost daily so my bench press is out of question, I can pump 270# for a rep or two.  12 pullups, "almost" 40 sit ups, will have to try a bit harder next time.  1.5km in 9:45 - what else was there?   
Push ups

If I remember correctly JTF2 tests include swim, long jump, two-jump, unaerobic capacity spurts of 800m and 400m, squats - you name it.  High jump too. 

Where did you get that from? ???  Your probably thinking of the JTF2 fitness standard levels as continued from the Army Fitness Pam.

Back