• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cooks ( merged )

• Thread starter RebornXmetalhead
  • Start date
Learning to cook at sea is a challenge and requires different ways of doing things. You are also a big part of the morale of the ship, so a very important role. Being able to produce good food when the ship is rolling about is quite the talent.

If you go in as a cook, you'll get to wear the colour of uniform for which there are openings.... But, once a cook, you will be posted - per the needs and requirements of the service.
Air /Navy may get posted to an army base or svc bn.
Army/Air may get posted to a ship.
Army / Navy may get posted to an air base.....
That's what happens with purple trades

Pusser said:
Perhaps I'm biased, but I look at the differences between the Army and the Navy this way:

In the Navy, you get regular hot meals (even if you do have to cook them yourself), regular hot showers, cutlery, crockery, clean sheets and proper beds (OK, so they move a bit).  In the Army, you have to dig that hole that your Career Manager needs to fill and then you get to sleep in it.
I am biased.  To refute my Naval colleague.  In the Army:
- you get regular hot showers in the garrison and the field.  Nobody in the field wants a cook with a personal hygiene problem.  I'm told that while at sea showering there are water restrictions.  You don't get to shower everyday and when you do there is a time limit.  While in the field if you decide to take a lengthy 5 minute shower no one minds.
- you do get cutlery in garrison.  In the field you get issued your very own knife, fork and spoon (KFS).  In the Navy you don't get issued your very own KFS.
- you get clean sheets in garrison.  In the field you have your very own sleeping bag.  In the Navy you don't get issued a sleeping bag.
- your beds don't move while in garrison or in the field.  At sea you have to strap yourself in the bunks because if you don't you might end up on the ceiling, bulkhead or deck. 
I might also add that the Navy has more orders of dress than the Army.  Who wants to wear whites and try to keep that thing clean and ironed all the time.  Plus they must wear bloody forage caps which may look nice until you wear one and then you'll wish you had been assigned the Army uniform.

One more:

In the Navy, most of the senior officers you work for are MARS oficers.  In the Army, most of the senior officers you work for are Infantry officers.

...ok, that one's a wash...

Happy Guy said:
I am biased.  To refute my Naval colleague.  In the Army:

Opinions vary,

Army or Navy? - A Merged Thread 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/13535.0

dapaterson said:
One more:

In the Navy, most of the senior officers you work for are MARS oficers.  In the Army, most of the senior officers you work for are Infantry officers.

...ok, that one's a wash...

:rofl:

They are hiring. But it says they want a high school diploma ( http://www.forces.ca/en/job/cook-80 ). Which is odd because they are far more responsible jobs that only require grade 10. I am currently a cook at 2 places in Vancouver, I am dedicated, hard working and my motivation has led me to go higher up into the company. My employers can advocate on my behalf. Is there any way I can still join with a grade 10? note I do have grade 11 and 12 credits.

Hello I am currently a cook at 2 restaurants in Vancouver BC. So I have experience, dedication and motivation to succeed in this industry. http://www.forces.ca/en/job/cook-80 it says I need a high school diploma. Some colleges in Canada only require grade 10 for the culinary course. Why is it that I need a diploma to get in as a cook? I can handle bombs and weapons and deal with radar and engineering with only grade 10. Doesn't make much sense, anyway around this?

Train2Survive said:
Doesn't make much sense, anyway around this?

No, get your GED or pick another trade. Also, in this competitive market, you'll likely be at the bottom of a merit list with only Grade 10. You're also wanted in a US state and banned from traveling there. Sort that out before you apply.

impossible to sort it out..I tried but I have to go back to the states which is an automatic 3 years in prison and a few months in jail.

Train2Survive said:
impossible to sort it out..I tried but I have to go back to the states which is an automatic 3 years in prison and a few months in jail.
Forget about the CAF then. Maybe you can keep being a fry cook with grade 10 as a career.

Train2Survive said:

Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that you would never have to travel to the US as a CAF member.  We work a lot with the US Armed Forces and travelling there is almost inevitable.  Being a CAF member won't give you immunity if you're stopped at the border and your name shows up on the computer.

CAF members are not diplomats and we do not automatically receive diplomatic immunity in foreign countries.

I am a Naval Reservist I have an up to date AVREP, I have BMQ under my belt, 2 Modules of NETP under my belt, and have been parading as a OS BASIC since September. I know that most Boatswains that have open availability have been loaded onto their QL3 courses already, and I am very anxious to start mine, or to even get loaded onto mine.

Does ANYONE know when the next QL3 courses for Cook start (I know likely won't be until the New Year), but I am going absolutely INSANE practically doing nothing at my unit.

Man, that 2 month wait for your trade course must have been brutal.

When I was in the 'Mo, career course dates typically weren't known until after Christmas as the calendars for the next fiscal year weren't completed until late November, and loaded sometime in early February.

It's brutal when I want to make a career out of the FORCES, but I totally get what you're saying. Just being a bit impatient, I will keep waiting out.

Also good to know about when the lists are usually available.

Thanks.

There is only two serials (French & English split) left in this FY. Both are Reg F. There is nothing on the schedule for next FY yet.

Cook Reg F 11/Jan/17 25 May/17 Scheduled

For a Cook Trade, when do you get your aviator rank?
Is there a DOAD or QR&O to refer at?

For the Reserves how long is the trades course to become a cook? Does becoming a cook require you to take BMQ-Land, or is it optional for cooks in the reserves ?

Back