• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cooks ( merged )

• Thread starter RebornXmetalhead
  • Start date
R

RebornXmetalhead

Hello everybody!

Although this is my first post, I‘ve been reading a lot on this forum lately.
If this isn‘t in the right section, I apologize, just move it into the right one if you must.

So, I‘m wondering if there are any cooks here? I‘m graduating from a culinary school in Laval (near Montreal, Quebec) in a month.

Wanting to join the army, I was wondering if this was an interesting trade. If any of you know anything about it (besides information on the forces websites) I‘d be grateful to hear about it.

Also, I have read that I wouldn‘t need to do the 16 week cook training in Alberta, since I‘d already have a diploma and would be qualified for the job.

I‘m having a hard time deciding between joining as a cook, or joining into some combat trade. I have sucky vision though, so I guess I don‘t have as much choice as everyone else.

Thanks for your time, rock on.

Welcome to the boards. Moving thread to recruiting.

Hey. Yeah there is other trades.I got sucky vision to and they told me I can be a cook, medic, or a clerk.

I‘m a "combat cook" at the moment(planning on remustering to the armour though). I know a guy in my unit who graduated from a culinary school, the only part of the Cook QL3 he had to take was the field portion of it. He is a reserve, I don‘t know if somone who joined up as a Cook in the reg force would be able to do the same.

Cook is a good trade, lot of hardwork. We can cook in a mess(on reg force bases), a small kitchen in the unit, in the field, etc. Since I‘ve been in, I‘ve cooked for my unit, and I got to goto the local naval reserve base in Vancouver, and cooked there for a few events.

We also train for defensive combat. A buddy of mine is on tour in the Golan Heights right now, he‘s a cook, an he does his job as a cook there, and also does guard duty, etc

Ok so a cook‘s job isn‘t just restricted to cooking. That‘s good to hear.

If will I have to go to Alberta just to take the field portion part?

The only thing that bothers me is not beeing able to see my brother and close friends if I‘m placed in another province.

I‘m starting to get back in shape, it‘s hard. Can‘t run much either, haven‘t in years.
Working hard. As for cooking, it‘s pretty easy if you‘re organised.

Thanks for the info.

Where did you get Alberta from? As far as I know, the Cook QL3 is in Borden, Ontario. As for only coming onto the course for the field porition, talk to the career counsular at the CFRC. Getting in shape will help out a lot, Basic Training(BMQ) and the Soldier Qualification courses are physically demanding.

Oh my mistake, Alberta was for some other trade. So you‘re right, it‘s Borden Ontario.

I‘m aware of how demanding it is (physicly, mentally, and emotionnaly) which is why I‘m preparing well in advance.

I‘m not sure when to start applications, I‘ve been told it‘s best to do BMQ during the summer, but have yet to know why. But I‘ve been thinking about the army for more than a year (decided to go to culinary school before instead), and just can‘t take my mind off it, it‘s a challenge I‘d love to accomplish.

Try the military , it is a very rewarding career. As cook ,you can go to sea. and go on tours ( travel oportunities of a lifetime). when you finish your engagement , or retire,you will have a background , that any employer will jump at. In Germany , when I was there, military cooks took part in Culinary Competitions , against European Chefs , and took top honors.

Sounds good.
Should I wait to start applications?
Is it really best to do BMQ training in summer?
How long is it between first application and the physical fitness exam?
Perhaps training in the winter would be better because it's not as warm...
Just wondering what would be best.
I'm not in the best shape so I probably need a few months to get fit.
Thanks for the info.

Hello.

I am a seveteen year old student currently attending Sackville High School in Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia (10 min from Halifax). I've wanted to become a Chef ever since I was a young boy - and I think the Army would be a great jump start in my career. I've cooked with Chef Michael Smith off of the Food Network several times (not sure if you know him or not) and I have put in over 150 volunteer hours at Chives Canadian Bistro - a professional restaurant in Halifax. I feel very confident in my abilities to cook and I have a couple of questions to ask. If someone could please answer them, it'd be greatly appreciated.

1.) First off, does the reserves pay for your education? I have receieved my letter of acceptance to Nova Scotia Community College for their Culinary Program and I will start in September. Will they fully pay for it if I'm part time, or do they partially pay for it if I am part time?

2.) I was told by an individual that if I go into the reserves as a cook and they pay for my college education, I will go to school for the entire school year, and I will then work at a base full time during the summer, then repeat the process 'til I am finished my education. Can someone verify if this is true or not?

3.) If I have a culinary diploma behind my back, will I still have to do the training course? I'm guessing I still am. It dosen't really matter to me.

4.) When I sign a contract to join the reserves, what's the minimum amount of years I have to dedicate towards the Army? Someone told me it was 3.

I'm also open to joining the Army full time as well.

Thanks for your time.

1.) I'm unsure of this, I heard the reserves have stopped paying for post secondary, but I've also heard that that still will pay
If the reserves are still paying, than this is how it works.

copied an pasted off my units website

"Tuition reimbursement. $2000 per year or 50% of your tuition (whichever is lower) up to a maximum of four years or $8000. You must be in a program of post-secondary education leading to your first undergraduate degree or in a field of studies applicable to your military occupational trade."

2.) I don't know.

3.)If you do have a culinary diploma you will may only have to do the field portion of the Cook QL3. Thats what happened for a guy I know.
But you still have to complete your BMQ and SQ before you can go on the QL3 course.

4.) In the reserves, you do not sign a contract, and there is no fixed amount of time you have to spend in it.

AoS said:
3.)But you still have to complete your BMQ and SQ before you can go on the QL3 course.

Actually in the reserve Log world, you can do SQ and QL3 in any order, IIRC.  You just need the SQ before you can be promoted to Pte (Trained)

The reserve education re-imbursment program is still in extisence, I filled out paperwork for it last night :)

Cheffie said:
1.) First off, does the reserves pay for your education? I have receieved my letter of acceptance to Nova Scotia Community College for their Culinary Program and I will start in September. Will they fully pay for it if I'm part time, or do they partially pay for it if I am part time?

The Reserve Educational Reimbursement Program is alive and well. There are certain caveats and requirements, though-check with your recruiting centre or nearest Army Reserve unit (preferably a Service Battalion). I do not know if it will cover non-University education, although there is a large amount of support in the Army Reserve world for this, particularly in order to help Reserve support soldiers such as cooks and technicians.

2.) I was told by an individual that if I go into the reserves as a cook and they pay for my college education, I will go to school for the entire school year, and I will then work at a base full time during the summer, then repeat the process 'til I am finished my education. Can someone verify if this is true or not?
Well, the Reserve does not "pay for your college education". There is a program to partially reimburse your costs(see above). As for summer full-time employment, while cooks are in demand at all times, nobody can promise you in advance that you will receive full-time Reserve employment: be very careful here, and make sure you ask questions and get specific answers. Specific quaified Reservists are selected to fill specific positions: it is not a free-for-all.

3.) If I have a culinary diploma behind my back, will I still have to do the training course? I'm guessing I still am. It dosen't really matter to me.

This is a very hot topic in the Army Res and has been for at least ten years: the granting of direct equivalencies for civilian qualifications.
While strongly supported in the Army Reserve world, ad suported by some existing Army Regulations, there is still (IIRC) some resistance from the Logistics Branch which owns the Cook classification. The best answer is to be prepared to take all the military training, but pehaps be pleasantly surprised. Make sure you can document your qualifications.

4.) When I sign a contract to join the reserves, what's the minimum amount of years I have to dedicate towards the Army? Someone told me it was 3.

In Canada there is no contract involved in joining the Reserves. You can normally quit whenever you like.

I'm also open to joining the Army full time as well.

Thanks for your time.

Best of luck to you: you will be joining a very important trade. Canada, in my experience, is blessed with the finest Army cooks in the world: their work is hugely important for fitness and morale, especially on exercises and operations. Cheers.

Hello All,

The first ever web site for serving and retired Canadian Forces Cooks, MOC 861, or Cooks from the RCASC has been set up.   Yes, that's Regular, Reserve, or Allied Forces are welcome!   Over 80 Cooks have registered and 1600 visitors in the first 2 weeks.   Come check us out and look for old friends, or pass the word to those you feel will be interested.   Thanks in advance...   http://members.shaw.ca/cfcooks

Michael
CF Cooks Web Site!

Although I went infantry while in the forces, I am a professional contract chef in civilian life. One of the highlights in my career was to teach aboard a Los Angelas Class Nuclear Sub the USS MINNEAPOLIS
the Destroyer USS ROSS, & the Anti Sub Frigate USS Nicholas in January of 2004. I have sent a recent
query to personnel in our Canadian Forces, but I have yet to receive a response. I believe it is necessary to give our young sailors the best education.

Would any Chefs here have a direct line to someone who I would contact this. Any help would be appreciated, as the forces taught me so many valuable lessons that I

wouldnt have learned anywhere else. I'd like to give back.

Sincerely,

Darren Johns  :cdn:
11 Queen St, Port Hope
Ontario Canada
L1A 2Y8
905 885 8304
:cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn:

Michael Greer said:
Hello All,

The first ever web site for serving and retired Canadian Forces Cooks, MOC 861, or Cooks from the RCASC has been set up.   Yes, that's Regular, Reserve, or Allied Forces are welcome!   Over 80 Cooks have registered and 1600 visitors in the first 2 weeks.   Come check us out and look for old friends, or pass the word to those you feel will be interested.   Thanks in advance...   http://members.shaw.ca/cfcooks

Michael
CF Cooks Web Site!

Hello Darren,

Here is a link to the CF Food Services Web site;  http://www.forces.gc.ca/admmat/logbranch/NCM861_e.asp

A note though, CF Cooks are trained by other CF Cooks at CFB Borden, and as far as I know, they are not contracting out training.  They might some time the future, which I personally think would be more beneficial.  The environmental portion of the training can take place on the job, which most if it is anyway.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Michael

Ah, Cooks, the last friendly faces you see before your day of beasting at the hands of instructors.

And the breakfasts, good god...so...goooood.

Thank you MIchael. Much appreciated!!! :cdn:

Michael Greer said:
Hello Darren,

Here is a link to the CF Food Services Web site;   http://www.forces.gc.ca/admmat/logbranch/NCM861_e.asp

A note though, CF Cooks are trained by other CF Cooks at CFB Borden, and as far as I know, they are not contracting out training.   They might some time the future, which I personally think would be more beneficial.   The environmental portion of the training can take place on the job, which most if it is anyway.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Michael

Back