• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Contract - New TOS

Mediman14

Inactive
Reaction score
I think I already know the answer to this! Can a person change their new upcoming contract after signing? Meaning, say if a Mbr has signed for a IE 20, but still has a couple years remaining in that contract, then offered IPS and signs. Can that IPS be changed?

I don't have the answer, but I think the ref is ADM (HR-MIL) Instr 05/05, which should be found in the MILPERSCOM Instr site if I remember correctly.

You will have to be more clear on what you mean by "change".

If you accept an IPS, you still have to serve to the end of your old TOS to be entitled to the benefits accruing under that term (ie: you can't sign an IPS at 18 years and release at 19 years with full benefits). In addition, I believe that you have to serve the first five years of the IPS to avoid any pension reduction penalty.

I will check the regulation and post what I find later tonight.

ModlrMike said:
You will have to be more clear on what you mean by "change".
I realize you have still live out the current TOS. I think normally ( if all the stars are aligned!) a new contract is offered to Mbr approx. two years prior to the current TOS Expires. If the new TOS doesn't take affect till the old one expires, just wondering if that new TOS could be change after signing. Ex. changing an IPS to the 30 -30 plan!

IPS is the 30-30 plan, but only after you've reached 25 years of service.

Ok, I am not familiar with all the contracts as I never did pay attention to them until now. I am doubting you, but it seems to me I recall one of my supervisors with 22 years in was on the 30-30 plan, not on IPS

I could be dreaming this, but was there not a CANFORGEN or something recently (the past 12 months) that said something along the line of "your new TOS is effective the date it is signed"?

I think you're correct, but you still have to meet the requirements of the CFSA in order to keep your entitlements.

Mediman14 said:
Ok, I am not familiar with all the contracts as I never did pay attention to them until now. I am doubting you, but it seems to me I recall one of my supervisors with 22 years in was on the 30-30 plan, not on IPS

By 30-30 do you mean a CE? I just signed my CE to take me to 25 after my IE20 is done. I can release at any point after 20 with my pension and no penalty, but at 25 years my TOS is done and I am out unless I sign a new CE or IPS.

Furniture said:
By 30-30 do you mean a CE? I just signed my CE to take me to 25 after my IE20 is done. I can release at any point after 20 with my pension and no penalty, but at 25 years my TOS is done and I am out unless I sign a new CE or IPS.

That could be it! 

I've only ever heard of the 30-30 plan as "30 seconds to piss me off and I'm out in 30 days", which applied to folks who have completed IE20/25 and are on IPS while they index their pensions.

interesting.

TOS and 30-30 plan are not linked.  you can be on the 30-30 plan (which is not an official plan) under different TOS.  using myself I am on CE and 30-30 while a co-worker is on IPS.  Puckchaser is right. 30-30 is 30 seconds to piss me off and 30 days for me to release and applies to anyone that has the required time that enables them to release in 30 days purely on their desire.  Yes, others can release in 30 days but they actually require approval and could be held to 6 months.

For personnel not entitled to an immediate annuity, example: less than 20 yrs of Reg F svc, the minimum time required for release notification is six months. A less than six month notice may be entertained but is subject to CO and Career Manager (CM) approval.

Back