• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Conservative MP Tony Clement resigns Commons duties over sexting scandal

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Longtime Conservative MP Tony Clement is resigning his post as his party's justice critic after admitting to sharing sexually explicit images and a video with an individual online.

"Over the last three weeks, I have shared sexually explicit images and a video of myself to someone who I believed was a consenting female recipient. The recipient was, in fact, an individual or party who targeted me for the purpose of financial extortion," Clement said in a statement.

"The RCMP are currently investigating the matter to determine the identity of the party responsible for the extortion attempt."..........

rest on link
https://www.cbc.ca/news/SOMNIA-1.4894889

Very deliberate phrasing suggests that this honey trap was not the first time he's sent images and videos - just the first time there's been someone trying to extort money.

That didn't take long.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2018/11/28108/

Health Canada announces it will cover treatment for Canadians forced to imagine Tony Clement sexting

OTTAWA – Following the news that MP and former Health Minister Tony Clement is stepping down from his role as shadow Justice Minister due to a sexting scandal, Health Canada has announced it will be covering all treatments related to what the medical establishment is calling the Clement effect.

Likewise, Industry Canada (where Clement also served as Minister) will be covering the costs of lost productivity.”

“Canadians affected by this in any way need to know they are not alone.”

The government will not only be paying the costs to cover treatment of the physical symptoms (nausea, extreme nausea, uncontrollable laughter, shuddering so hard one breaks teeth and/or bites through dental appliances), but the costs of counselling for every Canadian who can’t stop thinking about what’s in that video.

“It’s finding out about the video that’s really damaging,” psychologist Heather Jones said. “People’s imaginations can only go so far when it’s an image, but a video? A sexually explicit video made by a married man having an online affair who has in the past touted family values? That conjures up deep seated depravities of a breathtaking scope that can replay like gifs in a person’s mind until total psychological breakdown.”

“At this point, the only thing worse for our collective mental health than imagining the video would be actually seeing it.”

At press time, Clement was not stepping down from his position as MP because technically there’s no law that elected officials can’t be hypocrites or dumbasses.

And Clement was a member, with clearances, of the new National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians:
https://pm.gc.ca/eng/news/2017/11/06/prime-minister-announces-new-national-security-and-intelligence-committee

My thoughts in 2015 (links to other posts no longer work, CGAI obliterated 3Ds Blog--but you can search using the title in the search box near top right):

...I remain convinced that, given the hyper-partisanship and ignorance of most of our MPs, they simply cannot be trusted with highly-sensitive national security information unlike their counterparts elsewhere who take these issues seriously. Sad but true...
https://mark3ds.wordpress.com/2015/11/16/mark-collins-new-liberal-government-on-parliamentarians-and-securityintelligence-could-be-worse/

Mark
Ottawa

No doubting he was stupid and naive, but he did nothing illegal. Nothing that thousands of other consenting adults don't do every day.

This turned out different. The other consenting adult was a criminal extortion ring, that laid a trap. A soon as the demand was made, it was turned over to the RCMP for investigation.

The story, should not be about Clement. It should be about a criminal extortion ring trying to blackmail a senior sitting politician for money or influence.

All that needs to be determined is if it was run of the mill criminals or was it something set in motion by enemies of the state.

The election is 11 months away. This should fall out of the news cycle in a couple of days as soon as the press realizes there is no hay to be made with it. There will be no comments likely either, because it is now an active investigation.

He self reported after someone attempted to extort him, exposing himself to huge public embarrassment and basically losing his stature in the party/risking re election. Everyone wants to talk about taking his security clearance away,  but he clearly demonstrated the intestinal fortitude to do what was tough but right, instead of giving in and paying/saying what was demanded.

He messed up and owned it, we should encourage that sort of behavior.

From what has newly emerged this evening it appears he presented this as a one off, but other infor nation has come to light indicating this is not a first for this behaviour. Scheer has requested and received his resignation from the Conservative caucus.

Another politically career laid low by the follies of the zipper...

Brown.

Wilson.

Clement.

Why are so many individuals from the Ontario Tories messed up?

Maybe he(they) spent  too much time in the gazebo in his riding and couldn't handle it anymore......

PuckChaser said:
He self reported after someone attempted to extort him, exposing himself to huge public embarrassment and basically losing his stature in the party/risking re election. Everyone wants to talk about taking his security clearance away,  but he clearly demonstrated the intestinal fortitude to do what was tough but right, instead of giving in and paying/saying what was demanded.

He messed up and owned it, we should encourage that sort of behavior.

I agree. From the looks of things, he did not necessarily do anything illegal. He did, however, do something which destroys the trust which any politician lives or dies upon.

There is the question of judgement.  When someone does something that I teach my kids not to do, can you trust their judgement in the highest corners of government?

Infanteer said:
There is the question of judgement.  When someone does something that I teach my kids not to do, can you trust their judgement in the highest corners of government?

Are you saying you teach your kids not to send sexually explicit text messages, or you teach your kids not to be dishonest and hurtful toward their families through infidelity?

Because both are bad for kids, but only one is bad for adults (IMO), and even then, the infidelity might not be exactly the modern standard of infidelity if their relationship isn't as it appears on paper.

NSICOP/vetting angle:

John Ivison: Clement's sexting scandal ‘an early warning’ on national security risks
There is no confirmation Clement was the victim of a honey-pot sting, but luring politicians into compromising positions has happened in Canada
Clement, who issued a statement late Tuesday that he was being extorted by someone to whom he had sent sexually explicit images and a video of himself, was one of two Conservative members on the new 11-member panel of parliamentarians appointed to oversee the secret activities of Canada’s national security and intelligence agencies. The committee will scrutinize the activities of CSIS, the RCMP and every other agency involved in intelligence-gathering. Extorting those secrets from a member of the committee would be a major coup for a foreign intelligence service.

There is no confirmation that Clement was the victim of a honey-pot sting arranged by Russia or China...

Andy Ellis, a former assistant director of operations at CSIS who now works at intelligence event detection firm EVNTL, said sexual entrapment is an age-old tool in espionage. While foreign entities have been more prone to influence-peddling than blackmail, luring politicians into compromising positions has been used in the past in Canada and elsewhere, he said...

Rennie Marcoux, executive director of the secretariat established to support the new National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians [more here http://www.nsicop-cpsnr.ca/press-releases/pr-cp-2018-10-12/pr-cp-2018-10-12-en.html ], said each member was given a “comprehensive” security briefing by the Privy Council Office and other security agencies. Perhaps the imprudence of sending penis pictures by email to someone you don’t know was so obvious it was overlooked in the briefing.

But it is concerning that someone who appears to have been an accident waiting to happen was not flagged by the security services.

Marcoux said all committee members and staff at the secretariat were subject to the same “stringent” security and confidentiality requirements as the security and intelligence community [committee members, really?].

Yet Ellis said in his experience security checks for politicians are “superficial,” lacking the depth and breadth of top-secret security checks applied to others. He said regular security-clearance checks include a full search of social media and interviews with friends and colleagues going back at least 10 years.

Stephanie Carvin, a former national security analyst with CSIS who now teaches at Carleton University, said MPs and senators were vetted for committee membership but there would have to be serious some red flags flying before the security agencies would intervene to block a parliamentarian.

The news comes at a bad time for a committee that is trying to build public confidence. Carvin said she welcomes parliamentary oversight but it will be a real problem if the national security agencies view the committee with caution.

“If the agencies feel they can’t trust the committee, it will damage its credibility,” she said...
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/john-ivison-clements-sexting-scandal-an-early-warning-on-national-security-risks

Mark
Ottawa

Infanteer said:

Kids should be protected from sexting, no argument there. Bad judgement? Absolutely.

However, once they become responsible adults, that decision is theirs and theirs alone. As it is for every other consenting adult who wishes to pursue legal, and popular, erotica with like minded individuals.

Illegal, criminal, misogynist or deviant? No to the first two. The second two boil down to ones personal belief or opinion. Not the law.

What you teach your kids cannot be held up as the county's moral stance on anything. It is simply what you teach your kids in order to do your best as a parent.

The only thing Clement is guilty of is forgetting his load station and attendant responsibilities while his other head was thinking. That's it, that's all. Unprofessional for sure, but not criminal and the only thing that should be judged in this case is the effect on security of state secrets.

Not that he was pursuing a legal activity.

Unless it can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he has sent unsolicited photos to others, it's all hyperbole.

All those on social media claiming things like this need to come forward and put up or shut up. If they can't they should be charged.

This should really be so much ho hum, for a country that allows sex with animals.

[quote author=Fishbone Jones]
This should really be so much ho hum, for a country that allows sex with animals.
[/quote]
Do we really?  That's not something I want in my search history  ;D

Originally I felt who cares what he does in his private life but given the position he was in it does open himself up for serious blackmail and extortion.

Good on him for, uh, falling on his sword.

Jarnhamar said:
Do we really?  That's not something I want in my search history  ;D

Originally I felt who cares what he does in his private life but given the position he was in it does open himself up for serious blackmail and extortion.

Good on him for, uh, falling on his sword.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/canada-legalizes-beastiality/

My search history is embarrassing enough already lol God i hope my wife never looks lol

Any rate I googled for you, you just need to click ;)

Abdullah

Fishbone Jones said:
Sex with animals is what caught your attention?

*nervously rubs cap badge *

No not at all...

;)

All things considered he did do the right thing by coming forward and not taking the cowards way out, even if he ruined the personal and professional trust placed in him. Though it now sounds like this wasn't an isolated incident so maybe he just finally got caught and coming forward was the lesser of two evils?

More politicians should own up to their mistakes if they can't avoid making them in the first place, though in a timely manner and not when it's their last option.

What pisses me off though is when people do come forward like this they seem to always try and paint themselves as a victim of some illness. "Going to get help and treatment for issues". 
You're an adult, you don't have a disease or illness you have a moral lapse in judgement.

Reports are that he only decided to come forward after finding out the press was going public with this.  So yeah, way to man up...

This is why he may be in more trouble.  Failing to report this to the right authority in an appropriate manner.

It really isn’t about the sexting or the affair.  It’s that he compromised himself and didn’t tell anyone in until it was going to go public.

Back