• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Computer Help

TN2IC

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I got no sound my lap top. I can hit the volume button and only one bar will go up. Then when I have an error or even a PM I get that scary blue screen of death sound.... "Doot". I tried many times to remove and install the audio soft ware with no luck. It says it is not "turned on" but I can not connect it. It won't let me connect to it. I even looked for upgrades with no luck. Does anyone here have any ideas? Can anyone fix this? It is making my crave a smoke... trying to quit. Grr.

Any help troops?
I can chat this over MSN if you drop me a PM...
I really don't feel like going to a repair guy just yet.

The only thing I can suggest is running spyware removing software and anti-virus software. Sometimes they can screw up you computer.

Set a SYSTEM RESTORE point - if you don't know how, go into the help utility on your computer.

Go into "Control Panel", "System", "Hardware", "Device Manager".  Uninstall all your audio stuff (found under "Sound, video, and game controllers").

Turn your computer off, then on - it should reinstall all your audio stuff.  If that doesn't work, restore your system to the previously saved state - you haven't lost anything but a few minutes.

Glitches like this are a real pain in the a** to diagnose - there are so many possibilities - good luck to you.

System Restore
Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore

What operating system are you using? What is the model of laptop? What were you doing when it stopped working?

Also disconnect any USB crap connected to the lappy.

TN2IC said:
I got no sound my lap top. I can hit the volume button and only one bar will go up. Then when I have an error or even a PM I get that scary blue screen of death sound.... "Doot".

You've got a little bit of conflicting information there.  Is there no sound at all, or is there only Windows sounds like the "start" music when you turn the computer on, or the error "doot"?

If you have some sound coming from your speakers, then there's probably an input that's muted or turned down.  If you have XP, you should see a volume control icon in the system tray by your clock at lower right.  Right click it and select "Open volume control".  It should open a window with a bunch of slide bars for Master volume, Wave, SW Synth, CD player, and probably a bunch of other ones.  Nothing should have a "mute" check mark, and all the slide bars should be at the top.  Then try out different ways of making sounds, ie. play a CD, go into "Sounds and Audio Devices" in Control Panel and play a few Windows sounds.  Try out a game.  There are different methods of creating sounds, and different programs will used different methods to input sound to the sound card.

I tried many times to remove and install the audio soft ware with no luck. It says it is not "turned on" but I can not connect it. It won't let me connect to it. I even looked for upgrades with no luck. Does anyone here have any ideas? Can anyone fix this? It is making my crave a smoke... trying to quit. Grr.

Right click the "My Computer" icon on your desktop, and select "Manage".  Click on "Device Manager" in the tree on the left.  Look for "Sound, Video and Game controllers" on the right part of the window.  Expand it if you have to.  Are there any devices with a yellow exclamation mark?  What's listed for audio controllers?  (anything with audio in the name)  Also, what make of laptop?

Yeah, as someone who works in IT support, I always get a little worried when someone asks for advice, is given the appropriate advice - and then *poof*...nothing.  Did they fix the problem, or did they turn their computer into a smoldering heap?...  ;D

Smoldering heap...I am going to fart around with it tomorrow. I am too busy bugging the wife.  She just got back from Sobeys...

;D

TN2IC said:
Smoldering heap...I am going to fart around with it tomorrow. I am too busy bugging the wife.  She just got back from Sobeys...

;D

PM if you need a hand with the laptop.  I'll be around.

George Wallace said:
May be time to pull out the Staples flyer and see what is on special.....  ;D
Don't forget the warranty/24hr support, super mega plus antu virus and all the other goodies they will try and push on you this time  :D

While you're on your way down to Staples...

Maybe just make sure you haven't got something muted in the sound control panel.  Check it by double clicking on the speaking icon on the RH bottom of the screen, (single clicking gives you only one volume bar, double clicking gives you all of them).  Just a dumb thought.

I should learn to read everything before I try to show the world how smart(?) I am.

But if you do make it to Staples - avoid Vista like the plague. (well at least that's what I'm hearing)

Back