• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Competition List Questions (formally called Merit List) [MERGED]

Roger123 said:
I was placed on the competition list in October 17. My medical and interview expired and I had to redo them. I have a few standard medical forms I need to get filled ( routine lab work). My question is whether I will remain on the competition list and be eligible for selection during this process? I understand these items will need to be completed before enrolled, but is it possible to be selected conditionally on whether I get the stamp of approval from the doctors in Ottawa, or do I have to get everything updated and then placed back on the list?

Sorry missed this question.  You will remain on the Competition List during an med/int update; however you will not receive an offer until the updates are completed.  It is your best interest to keep your file up to date at all times.

Buck_HRA said:
Scoring for all occupations is based off of: (1) CFAT; (2) TSD; & (3) Your Interview
Occupations requiring further testing (MP, MPO, NWO, PLT, ACSO, etc) takes the above scoring plus the score for the added testing into account.

Hi Buck. Is it possible to shed some light on the breakdown/importance of each component with regards to your overall score. For example, 60% based on Cfat, 20 % TSD, etc. How important is the ACS  and score received with regards to overall competitiveness, specifically for DEO aircrew trade applications.

Roger123 said:
Hi Buck. Is it possible to shed some light on the breakdown/importance of each component with regards to your overall score. For example, 60% based on Cfat, 20 % TSD, etc. How important is the ACS  and score received with regards to overall competitiveness, specifically for DEO aircrew trade applications.

The weighting of the CFAT, TSD and your interview is considered protected information last I was informed and as such I cannot share that information.

All tests / interviews are important - do your best on everything, joining the CAF is a competitive process.  Come out and do your best, because if you don't there will be someone else who is giving it their all.

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but I could not find it though the search function or the in the Competition List superthread.

I have just been informed that I am on the Competition List and am looking for NESOp as a trade. NESOp is still showing as Now Hiring and has signing bonuses listed on the CAF website. Am I correct in assuming that this would mean that they would be taking all qualified applicants off the Competition List when they have the next selections?

tfirx said:
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but I could not find it though the search function or the in the Competition List superthread.

I have just been informed that I am on the Competition List and am looking for NESOp as a trade. NESOp is still showing as Now Hiring and has signing bonuses listed on the CAF website. Am I correct in assuming that this would mean that they would be taking all qualified applicants off the Competition List when they have the next selections?

Really depends on the specifics of the given competition list. Hypothetically, lets say that they have 20 spots. If you are rank 21/20 and everyone above you accepts their offer, then you won't get an offer. However, if 1 person declines then you would. Likewise, if you they have 20 spots and you rank 18/25 applicants, then you'd get an offer.

I don't work in recruiting for the CF, but I work in HR at my day job. Given that the website says "in demand" and mention signing bonuses, then the odds are pretty good in your favour. However, the site may be out of date so as with every job that you apply to, until you get an offer in writing it's all hearsay. Someone may be able to provide specific information surrounding the NES OP occupation, but this is my $0.02 based on my own experience outside of the CAF and speaking to our reserve recruiter.

To add to that, we will use runormal's example, if you are 20/20 today and someone else applies and is deemed more competitive then you (before you receive an offer) you will then drop to 21/20.  The list can change on a regular basis depending on number of applications that are processed.

Thank you very much for the info. That's pretty much along the lines of what I expected but it's nice to know I'm likely correct in my assumptions.

The other thing to keep in mind, is if they sit down with the intention of picking 20 people off the Competition List, and there are 30 people there, 13 have scores that are comparable to the scores from last year and the look further back in the process and see people with scores higher than the remaining 17, they will wait for more individuals to make it to the Competition List.

Thanks Buck. I was wondering how to reconcile the stories of guys that had been on the competition list for in demand NCM positions for long periods of time with the thought that the competition list would be cleared out for these potions every time. This makes perfect sense.

Is there any current recruiting staff that can look up my file and give me some information on what is going on, through my methods on file or here through private message..

I've called and left message at Cfrc calgary probably 10 times now regarding this with no avail and have sent out an email or two in the same timeframe. It's been a month and a half since last contact with my file manager saying I'd hopefully be clear for end of October...

_Atwell said:
Is there any current recruiting staff that can look up my file and give me some information on what is going on, through my methods on file or here through private message..

I've called and left message at Cfrc calgary probably 10 times now regarding this with no avail and have sent out an email or two in the same timeframe. It's been a month and a half since last contact with my file manager saying I'd hopefully be clear for end of October...
Unfortunately, nobody is going to give you specifics about a file on this board, to do so would be unprofessional and unethical as there is no way to verify identities.

Hello good peeps,
I know I’ll sound desperate lol but yeah ! My file got into selection process For AVN tech !
Last week I’ll called them in Winnipeg they said my file is up for merit list ! Should I get a call soon ? U know Christmas is coming as well ! Anyone knows how long it takes or any information will be helpful
Thanks folks

garb811 said:
Unfortunately, nobody is going to give you specifics about a file on this board, to do so would be unprofessional and unethical as there is no way to verify identities.

Was one of the reasons why I had put in through my official methods on file.
I have already called 4 times this week and still cannot get ahold of anyone..  about to call again on my lunch break.

Seems to be an on going issue at calgary, one of my mates who was trying to call just to accept a job offer it took him 20+ tries to even get ahold of someone.

_Atwell said:
Was one of the reasons why I had put in through my official methods on file.
I have already called 4 times this week and still cannot get ahold of anyone..  about to call again on my lunch break.

Seems to be an on going issue at calgary, one of my mates who was trying to call just to accept a job offer it took him 20+ tries to even get ahold of someone.

Same issue with Victoria. Have been trying for a month to get through to the file manager. No such luck! E-mails, phone calls, no luck. Hurry up and wait!

Prvt007Joy said:
Hello good peeps,
I know I’ll sound desperate lol but yeah ! My file got into selection process For AVN tech !
Last week I’ll called them in Winnipeg they said my file is up for merit list ! Should I get a call soon ? U know Christmas is coming as well ! Anyone knows how long it takes or any information will be helpful
Thanks folks

Remember, a competition list is just that. Its a list from which they select and make offers, you are competing against people from all across the country for a limited number of positions. There is no guarantee that you will ever be offered a position, and there are many variables that impact one's competitiveness. Generally, selections are held on a regular basis for most occupations. Be patient, ensure you keep regular contact (once a month) and just hope for the best. There isn't really anything else you can do to help your file once you are on the competition list.

If you're trying to get ahold of your CFRC without any success please reach out to the CFRG Customer Service Team.
Include as many details as you can in your email to identify who you are (name, DOB, email, Alpha Number, address) - so that they can reach out to the CFRC to get in touch with you.
Keep in mind that CFRG/CFRC started Holidays this past Friday and some individuals are not back to work until 14-January-2019.

CFRG Customer Service: STG-CFRG-CustomerSvc@forces.gc.ca

Hello,

My file is on medical hold pending a decision from the Regional Medical Officer in Ottawa regarding the FDL's and medical review.

Could someone please tell me what "FDL" stands for?

Thanks.

"FDL" is not an official CAF abbreviation; I'd ask your Recruiting Centre what "FDL" means to them.

TNTC0626 said:
Hello,

My file is on medical hold pending a decision from the Regional Medical Officer in Ottawa regarding the FDL's and medical review.

Could someone please tell me what "FDL" stands for?

Thanks.

I don't know what it stands for but it's the form you get that you have to bring to your doctor for them to fill out if something is in question.

Braydondinis said:
I don't know what it stands for but it's the form you get that you have to bring to your doctor for them to fill out if something is in question.

I asked around today; it stands for "Family Doctor Letter"; not an approved acronym and not all CFRC's use it, but apparently some do.

Back