• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Competition List Questions (formally called Merit List) [MERGED]

How long does it usually take to get on the competition list once you complete your medical and interview assuming there are no further complications with your file and application?

It varies - before you're placed on the competition list your security check needs to come back, the RMO may need to review your medical. And your file may not move forward while the CAF is processing other "more pertinent" files.  When I say more pertinent this is based on the needs of the CAF and not a reflection on your file.  For 2 weeks in April the CAF ran a Medical Officer campaign that saw an additional 350 applications filed in less than 5 days; those files were (and currently are) a priority.  Based on the timeline you have in your signature block you will likely be placed on the CL shortly.

OS_03 said:
Recruiting Center: CFRC Hamilton (transferred from Montreal)
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer
Entry Plan: ROTP - RMC

Trade choice 1: Const. eng. officer (offered)
Trade choice 2: ENGR

Application date: 2018-oct-10
First contact:  2018-oct-10
CFAT : 2018-nov-30
Medical Exam : 2019-jan-22
Interview : 2019-jan-25

Med Approved: 2019-mar
Background Check: 2019-apr-12
Competition listed: 2019-apr-12

Position offered: 2019-mai-13
Swear in: 2019-June-28
BMOQ: 2019-July-5

Congrats OS_03
I have a question for you.
How did you find out when you were competition listed?
Did you ask directly your recruiting file manager? Or did they keep you updated?

Why did someone with a lower score get chosen over me? (Applying as a DEO)

Back Story: I have done and passed everything (CFAT, Interview, Medical and Background). I also have the highest score for the trade I applied for. He said that I am not yet included in the merit list but for the next selection date, I would be most likely offered a job. I am just so confused because I thought they choose people from the competition list. How would I be offered a job if I were not in the list? They selected people last week and they selected someone who had a score lower than mine! I brushed it off and thought that it was probably because my background check was still processing (not sure when they finished). However, there might be a chance that they did not choose me because they have not included me in the merit list...?

How exactly do they choose people to be included in the merit list? The recruiter could not give me a concrete answer and he said that only time could tell and that he/she got chosen because “we were not in the same race.” I’m a bit puzzled. I didn’t want to annoy the recruiter with my questions. I have always thought that once you score high and pass everything else, you would be automatically merit listed.

P.S. I’m planning on emailing them but I do not want the same recruiter to reply because he knows me now. What are the odds that he would read my email?

Any answer will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

DEJ said:
Congrats OS_03
I have a question for you.
How did you find out when you were competition listed?
Did you ask directly your recruiting file manager? Or did they keep you updated?

Hey,

Your question inspired me to reach out to a recruiter to see if I could get some information on this.

Turns out I'm on the competition list... They did not contact me, however the recruiter did say that when they're ready to send me an offer I will receive an email.

I suggest you reach out to your recruiter to check your status, I have a feeling you will not be contacted unless they either need more information or they have an offer for you.

Good luck!

jessi said:
Why did someone with a lower score get chosen over me? (Applying as a DEO)

Back Story: I have done and passed everything (CFAT, Interview, Medical and Background). I also have the highest score for the trade I applied for. He said that I am not yet included in the merit list but for the next selection date, I would be most likely offered a job. I am just so confused because I thought they choose people from the competition list. How would I be offered a job if I were not in the list? They selected people last week and they selected someone who had a score lower than mine! I brushed it off and thought that it was probably because my background check was still processing (not sure when they finished). However, there might be a chance that they did not choose me because they have not included me in the merit list...?

How exactly do they choose people to be included in the merit list? The recruiter could not give me a concrete answer and he said that only time could tell and that he/she got chosen because “we were not in the same race.” I’m a bit puzzled. I didn’t want to annoy the recruiter with my questions. I have always thought that once you score high and pass everything else, you would be automatically merit listed.

P.S. I’m planning on emailing them but I do not want the same recruiter to reply because he knows me now. What are the odds that he would read my email?

Any answer will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Without knowing the exact specifics of your file it's hard to make a 100% accurate statement.  But knowing the CFRIMS (Recruiting System); I know there's a "Ready for Competition List" bin and a "Competition List" bin; from the sounds of it you were in the "Ready for Competition List" - although to some this would lead you to believe that you'll be on the next selection boards this isn't always the case - it can take several days/weeks to move from one area to the next in the system.  This is because your file is being double checked for accuracy; also in some cases there are ample files on the "competition list" for a selection to occur.  From the sounds of your explanation your file was still in processing.

By the way; how do know someone with a lower score got selected while you were waiting to be moved to the competition list?

Buck_HRA said:
By the way; how do know someone with a lower score got selected while you were waiting to be moved to the competition list?

It was a slip of a tongue on the recruiter's part. He was kinda surprised when he saw it.

Thank you for shedding light to my questions. I appreciate it a lot. Although, I’m nervous that I might not be able to make it this year.

Hello
I'm in the comepetition list for almost 3 weeks. knowing that i choose an in demand trade. my questions are . what's the maximum wait time in the competition list ? and could the FAC never select me even if I'm in the competition list ?
Thanks a lot

MtlCitizen said:
Hello
I'm in the comepetition list for almost 3 weeks. knowing that i choose an in demand trade. my questions are . what's the maximum wait time in the competition list ? and could the FAC never select me even if I'm in the competition list ?
Thanks a lot

There is no minimum or maximum wait time.  Your Recruiting Centre isn't in charge of selecting you - selections are made on a national level. 
Depending on where you sit on the competition list vice how many spots are remaining, and how many spots are open for basic training depends on whether you will get selected.

Back