• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Communicator research op and signal op

doucelotus

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new on this forum, and I'm currently in the process of joining.  I have my interview coming up shortly and just completed my cfat this week.

I still can't make up my mind between sig op and comm research.  If there's anyone here in one of those trade or someone who knows people in those trades, If you could provide me with some information about the pros and the cons of the trade, some personnal stories, if they are in demand right now ...

I would like to get in ASAP (yes yes, I know, that's not up to me to decide...) but I do know that they are really looking for sig ops... now if I choose Comm research op, will it compromise the delay in which I could get in?

Also, once I'm in St-jean, can I change my mind about my trade? or once you signed your contract, that's final?

How about possibilities of tours?

One last question:  Are there many women in the trades?  I'M a woman and would like to know.  If possible, can you provide stats?

Thank you very much for all bits of info you'll provide,

:-)

Hi doucelotus,

I'm a reserve sig op, and from what I've seen, the main difference between the two trades is that sig ops seem to operate much more frequently in the field, to provide communications to the various units and thier commanders there. The trade is fairly technical, but does have a fair amount of working outside in the dirt too. A good balance between the two I have found.

As for the Comm Research trade, those in it tend to keep fairly mum about it due to its sensitive nature, but from what I understand, it seems to involve much sitting in dark rooms reading intercepted information. There have been a few threads about it under the Signals forum on these boards, suggest you check it out.

As far as I know, it is possible to change your mind about your trade once you've started training but, from what I've read here, it takes paperwork, time, waiting and lots of patience.

I'm a woman as well, and there are quite a few of us in the sig world. Not a huge amount, but defintely more then in the combat arms trades.

Hope that helps with some of your questions, and good luck.

Thank you very much for your reply.  I will go and dig some info in the threads under sig ops.

Do you know if sig ops often have the opportunity to leave on tours?

thanks again.

Yes, sig ops are one of the trades always in demand on tours, that's why they're really looking for them in recruiting.

Perform in land operations, when necessary, fight as infantry (includes use of personal weapons, reconnaissance and section level tactics)

Does anyone know what exactly this mean? I took it as that a Sig Op does infantry duties as well as
communication duties.

Just wandering because really want to go Sig Op ! :salute:

i just accept an offer for 291, now im asking my self if i did the right choice...but im really into it, ready to learn... i saw a few post about 291, nothing deep ...lots of ppl are saying 291 is a boring trade, no action!do we get deployed alot in 291 beside ALERT?

sorry for my spelling, im french...plz holla back

The 291 trade IMHO is one of the most interesting jobs in the forces today, they deploy
overseas do time on ships as well as Alert and other postings. It is a highly technical trade where
you get to think as well as giving you a global perspective.

I don't think you will be disappointed with your choice, good luck in your service career.

Regards OLD F of S

Back