• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Lifesaver

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
A great move by TRADOC that will be an asset to the platoon medic in the event of large numbers of casualties or in the event the medic is a casualty.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/06/army_combatlifesaver_070602w/Boot camps certify combat lifesavers

By Gina Cavallaro - Staff writer
Posted : Saturday Jun 2, 2007 11:26:41 EDT

Recruits in basic training are now being certified as combat lifesavers, giving them the ability to render a higher level of critical care on the battlefield.

The more advanced medical training and certification began at Fort Knox, Ky., and Fort Sill, Okla., with a class of basic trainees that started May 15.

Beginning June 15, Combat Lifesavers Course certification will be part of the program of instruction at Fort Jackson, S.C., Fort Benning, Ga., and Fort Leonard Wood, Mo., according to Col. Kevin Shwedo, chief of staff for operations at Training and Doctrine Command.

The CLS certification training for new soldiers was something field commanders had requested, but didn’t have great hopes they would get, he said.

The TRADOC surgeon looked at the training and pointed out that by adding 5-1/2 hours to the 22 hours of first aid training the new soldiers were getting, the minimum requirements to certify combat lifesavers would be met.

“So all of a sudden we gave the field something they requested that they didn’t really think would be able to be done in basic training,” Shwedo said.

“We realized that the TRAODC surgeon could rewrite the training support package at pretty minimal cost and get us a certified combat lifesaver at the end of the day, rather than a soldier who can react to an immediate requirement,” he said.

The training support package was approved in February and basic training posts just had to wait for training dummies, supplies and instructor medics. Knox and Sill began in May because their supplies arrived early.

The expectation is that 95 percent of basic trainees will attain certification, even though all will be required to go through CLS training.

Brigade commanders will be able to graduate soldiers who have not been certified, but, he said, certification may end up being a requirement after the training is re-evaluated in six months.

The level of medical instruction in basic training has, until now, been limited to first aid skills such identifying an injury, treating a patient for shock, stopping bleeding and splinting a fracture.

With the introduction of CLS training, new soldiers will be certified to:

• evaluate a casualty.

• manage an airway.

• control bleeding.

• treat burns.

• establish a saline lock and start intravenous infusion.

• evacuate a casualty

• perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

• administer a nerve agent antidote.

• splint a fracture.

• perform field sanitation and preventative medicine.

“From a psychological standpoint this is a great thing for each of those soldiers. They know they can take care of their buddies, that they’ve got the skill set and a certain amount of confidence and self-esteem comes from that,” Shwedo said. “And, the soldiers know that everyone of their buddies is capable of doing the same thing if they get hurt.”

The combat lifesaver program has been around for at least 15 years. This is a good way to get more Soldiers certified.

Pretty sure we have the same thing going here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/59811/post-571256.html#msg571256

MM

The point that I have picked up elsewhere is that this initiative may in fact be a shortcut of the usual 40 hour CLS course to 27 hours just to say that someone can say 100% of recruits are now CLS qualified. Another point made is that this initiative may get commanders off the hook from putting their troops through pre-deployment first aid training.

I'd hope that they wouldn't use that as an exucse - considering like shooting and other such things, it is a time sensitive skill.  My own experience - first aid training isn't important until just before a deployment and then all of a sudden the CO's want us to make these guys into doctors in a day and a half.

MM

One potential problem with this lies in the fact that these are brand new Soldiers we're talking about. On one hand, you have to wonder if there's value to doing this training, which is pretty advanced stuff. These youngsters in initial training maybe still don't know exactly which way is up as far as the Army is concerned.

One would hope that everyone would be focused on first aid training as Iraq/Afghanistan is a probable destination for many of these young soldiers. Even after basic there will be refresher training.

We need to keep focused on the fact that a little bit of help under fire can make a huge difference.

Probably the biggest thing is that the guys with training don't go overboard trying to do too much.

Here's the AMEDD web site that covers the CLS program in general.

http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/clsp/index.htm

Unless things have changed an awful lot since I last looked over the courseware, it's not hideously advanced stuff - other than IV insertion and having to be responsible for a couple of low level drugs.  However, I've yet to check out the AMEDD website, so I might be back here later modifying this...  Anyhow, alot of it isn't outside the realm of our old Standard First Aid or the new MFR/EMR standards (IV's aside).

The point of how useful are they going to be when they're done is a case in point of too much too soon - perhaps a case of learn it, dump it syndrome that we all go through on military courses.  That is where carefully managed refresher training comes in during the training year, the pre-deployment phase and while on deployment as well.

$0.02.

MM

Medicineman: You're right. We're not talking about rocket science here. But for Soldiers in basic training in their first eight weeks in the Army, I'm just wondering how much CLS will work as opposed to the first aid/buddy aid that every Soldier is supposed to know.

What it looks like is that this will be their buddy first aid - as I mentioned it may be a concern vis a vis too much too soon or you'll end up with a learn it/dump scenario.  On the bright side with the latter, they've already learned it, so exposure after will bring it back instead of having to push it all into them in a short period of time for the first time.  Personally, it's a great idea on paper, but I'm all for a stepwise approach like what we were supposed to have here - emergency FA in basic and increasing it to a higher standard within a year or when they reach their operational units, whichever comes first.  Of course, how often does that happen... ::)

MM

This class is mostly a waste of time, we send "joes" to the week long class and they come away usually with minimal knowledge, I think to better prepare ourselves for "negative situations" we should send 1 or 2 from each platoon for an advance medical course that should take roughly a month or two. Take care, Can Am

Back