• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Colour Vision

L

logistik

I just finished up all my testing and apparently I was found color blind. I don‘t understand how I could be since I had no idea untill yesterday. I believe I was found cvs3(not really sure). I took the book test and missed a few numbers so I had to take the little bead test where I had to put the colors in order that were only one shade a part. But the lighting I did this test in was really bad. Could that have contributed? And also she told me to put them all in the thing and then arrange them from there. And I couldn‘t finish. Thus, I left a bunch out of order. And later I found out that they connect the dots and if you cross some X thing you are automatically color blind. Should I retake the test? and also being color blind will this hurt me in being accepted?
btw I am going infantry

You may want to retake the test, it‘s up to you, but colour vision is not required in the infantry. If, however, you ever feel like remustering to something like engineer or artillery, colour vision is necessaary. If you‘re really concerned about it, go to your local optometrist and have him/her give you a full colour test. Just make sure you keep a copy of the results so that you can have it placed on you medical file.

Colour blindnsess did not cause problems for me, and I‘m a land force traid as well.

What about needing glasses? I don‘t have any right now and I can see fine. But my left eye is kinda going on me. I can see perfect with my right, but when I cover it and just look through my left, it looks a little worse. Ex: When the eye doctor tests my right eye (by covering up my left) and makes me read the letters from that poster accross the room, I can read it fine. But when he tests my left eye, I have some trouble. I can still see stuff fine with it, I just have alittle trouble reading. If I cover up my right eye now and just use my left, I can still read this, it‘s just kinda, not perfect looking. Will this be a problem?

As long as you are correctable to 20/20 there should not be a reason why not. Go and see an optometrist (eye doctor) and get some corrective lenses, that should help.

Don‘t worry about that, you can have glasses and still get in the military.
Once you can‘t read things about a foot in front of you, then you can start getting screwed out of combat arms.

hello,
do they test you again for color vision deficiency at st jean?
thanx

When you go through your initial testing to get into the CF, they will do a medical on you. One part of that medical is testing your colour vision. If you have colour blindness of any kind, it will restrict you from certain trades (engineer and artillery for one), but won‘t disqualify you altogether.

what would be the vision classification for 20/20 but colour blind? I never bothered to ask when i got my medical, and i was just curious what exactly mine would be called.

Does anyone happen to know what exactly the different levels of colour deficiency entail?

I have Red-Green Deutran colour deficiency.

I know there are three levels: V1, V2, V3 (or something like that).

where:

V1 is the best (I‘m assuming NO colour problems, cause this is pilot level)

V2 being worse (I‘m guessing mild colour deficiency)

V3 being worst (I‘m thinking major problems/monochrome vision)

I‘m applying as a Sig Op (R215), which is V2. So I basically have to hope my type of colour blindness is V2 level.

So has anyone got into the Sig Op trade with colour deficiency?

Hi There;
The V1 to V5 are testings for your visual acuity not necessarily for color blindness. Color deficiency can come in various forms, yours being the most prevalent and normally restricted to males, then there are some that entail a blue/green deficiency (tritanopia). I know that color blind people are restricted from flying a plane or working in a medical laboratory and I am sure there are other restrictions but I don‘t know what they are.
If you look for my previous thread, requesting information on visual acuity, a very informative link was posted and you may find the information you‘re looking for there. If not, then you‘ll have to check with the recruiting office.
I wish you good luck.
Cath ;)

Ya, I checked out that link. That‘s where I found out about the three levels. (I guess it wasn‘t Vn, maybe some other letter.)

Hey guys.  I took the CFAT today.  However failed the CV test.  I had applied as a primary reserve for R043 Combat Engineer Soldier and was told by the doctors etc. that I needed CV1 or 2.  Fair enough, I guess... 

Couple questions:
I found a Medical Standards for the CAF document on the web, http://www.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/034-30_e.asp that indicates a CV3 for MOC 041 and 042 (Field Engineer).  It doesn't list 043.  What's up with that?

Also, how is it that the CAF will allow a Colour blind soldier out on the firing line as Infantry or Armoured Soldier?  That 'blows' me away.  If I cannot differentiate between uniform colors properly there's a potential for a friendly fire incident, or a potentially critical hesitation on my part.

I'll call the recruiting office tomorrow and see what they have to say.  That is if I can get through to them.  In the meantime, if anybody has a knowledge of this, I'd appreciate your input.

Cheers.

i am colourblind but still got into EME. Also, most ppl with acute colourblindness can still tell colours, but when two similiar colours are close together, it gets tough to differentiate (for me personally).

But the test was really wierd b/c I was found to be completely colourblind whereas my optometrist said I was slightly. The rearranging the blocks is a bad indicator, IMO (although I assume there have been studies on it).

I actually passed the line up the blocks test but could only get about 4 out of 15 on the number in the dots test on a good day. I also did terribly on the lantern test, with the two coloured dots about 10 feet away in a dark room. And every med tech who saw my profile wanted to confirm it or see for themselves or something because I did the tests more times than I care to remember.

I found being cv3 was far more limiting in the number of trades you could get into as an ncm than as an officer. I guess the officer just tells someone to push the blue button and doesn't have to be able to tell which one that is..

Cache:

041 (fd engr) and 042 (HE Op) were amalgamated into trade 043 (Cbt Engr) recently.  The med standards for 041 are the same as 043.

As for uniform recognition, you'll figure it out.

DF

The main concern with CV in some trades is that wiring and a number of munitions are colour coded - people on the receiving end get a little upset when the wrong round lands on the target or worse someone can't tell the difference between a live and a dummy.

MM

Furthermore, Artillery rounds are colour coded... nothing worse than calling in a smoke screen or Illum and them firing HE on your position.

but colour vision is not required in the infantry.
Let me get this straight, so your telling me that there could be some soldier amongst the ranks in the unit I'm in and they have absolutely no idea what red and green is? I find that hard to believe, considering that in the infantry we deal with more colors under the sun, just as a small example, FIBUA marking of mouseholes, cleared rooms ect with colored glowsticks at night. To me being color blind should be a red flag.

Back