• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CoC seeking to meet with medical professionals

doggroomer

Inactive
Reaction score
First post on here so forgive me if this seems like a novel.

Long story short and without going into too much detail, here's a bit of background info.
Married service couple, spouse on deployment (extended to 6 months).  Special needs child at home who requires mental health intervention both at home and school. 
I am on a T-Cat for a hip injury, physio isn't helping, was referred to sports medicine and going to try acupuncture (at this point, willing to try anything for the pain).  Also seeing base mental health for depression.  Chain of command knows all my issues.  It's been a constant battle to try and get the help I need in order to function on a daily basis.  I also see a counselor through the MFRC who helps with regards to my child.  Just received an email from base hospital who say that my CoC want a conference with my health team and me to go over how to best help me.  I'm not sure what to think.  I do want the support of as many people as I possibly can at this point, but I don't feel my CoC needs to know my deepest darkest secrets.  I not only have medical appointments for myself but also for my child (school, mental health, pediatrician, etc) and they have been helpful in allowing me to attend these appts. 

What say you?

Your CoC won't get any of your medical details without your permission. Unless you've had issues with your CoC trying to get sensitive information before, I would take their request at face value as a genuine attempt to do whats best for you. They are likely concerned they could over-employ you and set your recovery back, but want to keep you gainfully employed.

What your CoC wants to hold is a case conference. It normally represents an opportunity for the CoC to sit with all the various individuals who have a stake in your well being. The amount of medical disclosure at these conferences is up to you the member. The medical professionals will only discuss those issues that you authorize disclosure on, and on the overall prognosis of your case and such things as:
Will you be able to return to full duties; will you need a modified/return to work schedule; is posting to the JPSU appropriate; is it time to start considering a transition plan to civilian status (aka a med release).

In my experience, case conferences have allowed us to do the best to assist a member get the support they need, and allows the CoC to have a better idea of the situation a member is facing.

Confirm with your health care provider to only release info as you authorize it point by point and any meeting is not a open forum for them to answer any question the CoC has.

A lot of time people get too nosey into things that aren't really their business. The CoC is entitled to know your limitations, not your diagnosis.

Pre-flight said:
Confirm with your health care provider to only release info as you authorize it point by point and any meeting is not a open forum for them to answer any question the CoC has.

A lot of time people get too nosey into things that aren't really their business. The CoC is entitled to know your limitations, not your diagnosis.

One major problem is when MELs are ambiguous and requires clarification. Sometimes the request for clarification is quick and simple, other times the medical side acts like you're trying to send the member to achawitz.

Back