• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CO of Hal relieved

A ships company also notices quickly when a CO doesn't visit 3 Deck often. It's an easy way to gain familiarity with a crew and help foster positive morale, I'm not sure why many don't do it more.

Yep. We used to have a name for this: It was called BAD leadership, BAD standing for Be About the Decks.

P.S.: Works both ways. It is mazing the things you learn about your ship and crew from those impromptu walkabouts.

I thought the MCR was a mandatory stop on the way to the bridge for the oncoming OOW. Did that change recently?
Hah yes I re-read what I wrote and realized it sounded weird. It is a mandatory stop of course.

What I meant was I usually took extra time i.e. 10-15 min just to chat with the MSE Dept. Also, we had a few EOOW that would come to the bridge before their watch. I thought that was also a very good practice.

Self-confidence issues, perhaps, as well as no formal training/ mentoring in, or corporate requirements to demonstrate, MBWA related competencies ;)

The management by wandering around (MBWA), also management by walking around,[1] refers to a style of business management which involves managers wandering around, in an unstructured manner, through the workplace(s), at random, to check with employees, equipment, or on the status of ongoing work.[1] The emphasis is on the word wandering as an unplanned movement within a workplace, rather than a plan where employees expect a visit from managers at more systematic, pre-approved or scheduled times.

The expected benefit is that a manager, by random sampling of events or employee discussions, is more likely to facilitate improvements to the morale, sense of organizational purpose, productivity and total quality management of the organization, as compared to remaining in a specific office area and waiting for employees, or the delivery of status reports, to arrive there, as events warrant in the workplace.

Much ink was spilled over this recently in the public sphere, following Zelensky's and his generals' visits to the frontline.

As an OOW you were expected to visit the MCR and OPS to get their input as to what was going on before you get to the bridge to do a turnover.

That way when you got your turnover on the bridge it wasn't new info that you were down a DA or you had to find some time in the watch to de-coke the generator, and you can catch things in your turnover that are incorrect.

If you were running late you could cheat and skip one, but you were not supposed to be running late.
All too common sadly. When ''running late'' becomes the standard... MCR gets skipped, upperdecks get skipped, CCR gets skipped... I try to tighten that screw where possible.
Part of the problem is that the CO needs to be able to quickly be contacted by the OOW for contact reports and by OPS for similar. So some won't travel far from their cabin, OPS or CCR.
MCR was usually the 3rd call. (Depends on the CO, of course)

Back on the CO relieved topic (though not HAL, but REG):

Can now confirm he reported himself, and the issue is not criminal in nature. (am being deliberate with what I say and do not say)
LMAO can the Navy not go ashore for more than five seconds and not have an alcohol incident 😁

LMAO can the Navy not go ashore for more than five seconds and not have an alcohol incident 😁
The Army is no better. Two Noble Prize candidates rented a car in Croatia thinking they could go into Serbia - in 1993. The car was seized.

In 1997 two future CAFCWOs (facetious) thought they could climb the wire and go drinking with their civilian employees - Bosnians.

In either case it did not work out well.

Can now confirm he reported himself, and the issue is not criminal in nature. (am being deliberate with what I say and do not say)
On SM it was “burn the witch!” from the uninformed

The Army is no better. Two Noble Prize candidates rented a car in Croatia thinking they could go into Serbia - in 1993. The car was seized.

In 1997 two future CAFCWOs (facetious) thought they could climb the wire and go drinking with their civilian employees - Bosnians.

In either case it did not work out well.
You need to combine the two. Have the Airborne do some "time off" on Protecteur from Somalia. Three beers in the mess and you had guys climbing the mast refusing to get down, and sailors had to go up to help them safely down. This also started the policy of bridge rifles being locked up, and the ammo separated.

Similarly when there is a big repair on usually the COs will stick their head in for morale support and tell the team they are doing a good job. For especially difficult jobs or risky ones in hard to access spots was also useful to show the CO's the location so they would understand why you were recommending to not do it at sea (or at least wait til things calm down)
Just prior to RIMPAC 98 on HUR, we were doing an HSI on the port FT4. The new (to 280s) MSEO and CO came down for a look. One glance at the split casing with the combuster cans and half the inlet guide vanes out has their eyes as big as pie plates.
EO: Er, can you put it back together?
Me: Hopefully :)

Just prior to RIMPAC 98 on HUR, we were doing an HSI on the port FT4. The new (to 280s) MSEO and CO came down for a look. One glance at the split casing with the combuster cans and half the inlet guide vanes out has their eyes as big as pie plates.
EO: Er, can you put it back together?
Me: Hopefully :)
Good Army Leaders are similar with respect to repairs that are concerning

In 1997 the entire fleet of AVGPs were grounded for a short time due to a steering gearbox being defective. The Colonel commanding the mission in Bosnia dropped in at about 2000 hours to see how we were and what the issue was. After our ET explained it the Col thanked us and went on his way. Yes we were impressed. To top it all off I think he was a Gunner....

Good Army Leaders are similar with respect to repairs that are concerning

In 1997 the entire fleet of AVGPs were grounded for a short time due to a steering gearbox being defective. The Colonel commanding the mission in Bosnia dropped in at about 2000 hours to see how we were and what the issue was. After our ET explained it the Col thanked us and went on his way. Yes we were impressed. To top it all off I think he was a Gunner....
The best leaders I have worked for admit what they don't know and put trust into those underneath them that do.

Most of my job is confusing as shit to people within my own Corps, let alone some of the people force employing us. As much as I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you. Being able to say "what's up? How long are we down for? Is there anything I can do to help?" is exactly what's needed from higher when shit breaks.

Yelling over Cpl/S1 Bloggins while they're trying to unfuck the problem doesn't make rounds get on target any faster.

On SM it was “burn the witch!” from the uninformed
Yeah.

As expected.

Looking at corporate and academic organizations, I can say, as an active participant in this system, that the CAF comparably treats HISB incidents pretty damn well, with empathy for both the alleged victim and the alleged perpetrator.

Also, as a senior officer commenting on the case said; in any other organization, this would be a nothing burger. But military command is unique and carries expectations particular to the job.

I feel like I am the only one here who doesn't know what is going on. I don't know how to read between the lines on this one. What could the man have done that would have him lose his job but isn't criminal? I would think it would have to be something pretty serious.

Hey, it was taco Tuesday, and two for 1 margaritas at the hotel, of course they won't be on station? It's called operational planning, you plan around all the specials at the hotel. Wednesday is meat loaf night? Yep let's go on patrol

That’s not even remotely accurate…

Tacos are NOT worth planning missions around. The crab dip at the Outrigger Reef Resort in Waikiki…ya, I would be willing to CNX for that…😁

While underway with Sea Training, ST makes a point of stopping random sailors and asking if they know anything about what's going on, where we are and what were doing. Their findings are provided and improvments are to be made.

Also the IMO/IMD are constantly filling inboxes with updates and goings on ect ect.

Lastly, during HODs and CHODs information is supposed to be given for important 5 Ws. And that is supposed to be disseminated in follow on OGroups.

All this is to say we are trying. But we aren't great yet. It would be nice if the flex wouldn't change every half an hour.

What’s “the flex”?

Back