• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Close Protection Training

The task was given to MP's but is now open to all trades. There is a selection process in Esquimalt BC. Then I believe it's two months of training in the US. Canadian instructed course just using US facilities. I have heard that is it pretty intense.

I have two Cpls working for me, who have gone CP.  The selection is very physically and mentally challenging.  You have to be in excellent shape both physically and mentally to even be selected.  It is not an option to get into shape while on selection.  This still does not guarantee success in passing the training phase.

One of my NCOs is a PTI for the CP training programme.  He's one of the fittest men I have ever met.  Take that as a hint:  he does not come in second to any students.

Yes the military police do undertake a 5 week CP course. However, there is a try out, psyc exam, and interview which you must pass prior to enrollment. You must also be a trades qualified MP. There was an exception for CP drivers to undertake a special driving course in 2008...they were not required to be MP. JTF does not currently undertake any non VIP CP taskings. They are all MP tasks. Typically, unit CO's...embassy pers etc....

OT

Your info is out dated currently any CF member may do the CP course after passing selection and the course and then be so employed on CP task. The CP tasking is still however under the governance of the MP branch. As for who and what persons are protected by CANSOF assets let us not speculate shall we.

Sideshow Bob said:
Keep watch for the CANFORGENs...they will announce when application are being accepted.

It's already out:

CANFORGEN 215/10 VCDS 028/10 211449Z OCT 10
CLOSE PROTECTION (CP) RECRUITING CAMPAIGN
UNCLASSIFIED

PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL PREVIOUS CPAC CANFORGENS ARE TO BE CANCELLED UPON RECEIPT OF THIS MSG

THE CANADIAN FORCES PROVOST MARSHAL IS SOLICITING HIGHLY MOTIVATED, PHYSICALLY FIT VOLUNTEERS FOR EMPLOYMENT WITHIN A SMALL TEAM ENVIRONMENT CONDUCTING CP. THE CP MANDATE CALLS FOR PERS WHO POSSESS VERY UNIQUE PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES AND ABILITIES, ENABLING THEM TO BE TRAINED TO PERFORM A VERY SPECIFIC, HIGH PRIORITY TASK. AS SUCH, A CP ASSESSMENT CENTRE (CPAC) WILL BE HELD IN JAN 11 TO SCREEN PERSONNEL INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR THE CP ROLE. APPLICATION DEADLINE IS 1 DEC 10

IT IS ESSENTIAL FOR VOLUNTEERS AND THEIR CHAIN OF COMMAND TO UNDERSTAND THAT THOSE FOUND SUITABLE FOLLOWING CPAC WILL BE LOADED ON ONE OF THE UPCOMING SERIALS OF THE CP COURSE, THE FIRST OF WHICH IS SCHEDULED TO RUN EARLY 2011. SUCCESSFUL GRADUATES OF THE CP COURSE WILL LIKELY BE TASKED AS A CP OPERATIVE AS EARLY AS MAR 11 TO BE DEPLOYED IN 2011

THE CP QUALIFICATION IS OPEN TO ALL CF MEMBERS WHO MEET THE FOLLOWING PRE-REQUISITES FOR CP TRG AND EMPLOYMENT:

REG OR RES F MBR OF THE RANK OF CPL TO SGT

REG FORCE MP OF THE RANK OF CAPT AND BELOW

MOS ID QUALIFIED

MIN SECURITY CLEARANCE LVL II (SECRET). APPLICANTS NOT IN POSSESSION OF LVL II  MUST COMMENCE UPGRADE PROCESS WHEN APPLYING

MUST NOT HAVE A CRIMINAL RECORD AND COMPLETE A MILITARY POLICE QUOTE CONSENT TO DISCLOSURE OF CRIMINAL INFORMATION UNQUOTE APPLICATION A-SJ-100-004/AG-000 7H4-1/4 HTTP://VCDS.MIL.CA/CFPM/PUBS/POL-PUBS/MPPTP/CH7H4 UNDERSCORE B.DOC

DRIVER S LICENCE: A VALID PROVINCIAL DRIVER S LICENCE, DND 404 AND UP TO DATE 416 WILL BE REQR FOR TRG AND DEPLOYMENT

PERSONNAL READINESS VERIFICATION GREEN

MUST BE PROFICIENT IN FIREARMS AND WILL BE REQUIRED TO PASS THE MP SIG SAUER P225 AND THE C8 CARBINE WPN QUALIFICATION STANDARDS

POSSESS AND/OR BE ELIGIBLE FOR A CANADIAN PASSPORT AND

BE AVAILABLE FOR UP TO SIX-MONTH DEPLOYMENT DURING A THREE-YEAR LIABILITY PERIOD FOLLOWING SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF CP TRG. FOR RESERVE FORCE PERSONNEL, THIS DOES NOT GUARANTEE A RESERVE FORCE EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT

THE APPLICATION FORM REQUIRED FOR CP DUTIES AND OTHER INFORMATION MAY BE FOUND ON THE CFPM WEBSITE, OR BY CONTACTING THE CFPM CCLK, WO T. LETAIN, AT 613-949-1261, TWILA DOT LETAIN AT FORCES DOT GC DOT CA

PHYSICAL SCREENING. ALL INTERESTED MBRS MUST UNDERGO THE FITNESS TESTING AND REACH A MINIMUM OF LEVEL 8.5 ON THE 20MSR, 31 CONTINUOUS PUSH-UPS, 35 SIT-UPS IN ONE MINUTE, AND A 100-METRE CASUALTY EVACUATION IN 60 SECS OR LESS IN PT GEAR IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE EXPRES TESTING. TEST TO BE ADMINISTERED BY PSP STAFF AT RESPECTIVE CF BASES. EVEN IF MBRS HAVE RECENTLY COMPLETED THEIR EXPRES TEST, THEY SHOULD BE TESTED AGAIN, AS MAXIMAL PERFORMANCE IS REQUIRED ON ALL COMPONENTS. APPLICATIONS THAT INCLUDE A FITNESS TEST BELOW THE AFORMENTIONED MINIMUM LEVELS WILL NOT BE ENTERTAINED AND WILL BE RETURNED UNPROCESSED

ASSESSMENT CENTRE SELECTION. APPLICANTS WILL BE SELECTED TO ATTEND THE CLOSE PROTECTION ASSESSMENT CENTRE (CPAC) BASED ON A REVIEW OF THE MBR S CP APPLICATION, AND ASSESSED LEVEL OF PHYSICAL FITNESS. AS THIS PROCESS WILL RESULT IN A MERIT LISTING OF ALL APPLICANTS, IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT THE STRONGER THE PERFORMANCE DURING FITNESS TESTING, THE BETTER THE CHANCE OF BEING SELECTED TO ATTEND THE CPAC

LANGUAGE : ALTHOUGH THE CANADIAN FORCES PROTECTIVE SERVICES UNIT IS DESIGNATED AS BILINGUAL THE TRAINING IS CURRENTLY ONLY AVAILABLE OUT OF COUNTRY AND ONLY IN ENGLISH. DAOD 5039-6 STIPULATES THE INTERNATIONAL REQUIREMENTS. THE LONG TERM PLAN IS FOR THE TRAINING TO BE CONDUCTED IN CANADA AT WHICH TIME IT WILL BE PROVIDED IN BOTH OFFICIAL LANGUAGES

SUBMITTED FILES. APPLICANT FILES MUST CONTAIN THE FOLLOWING:

COMPLETED APPLICATION FORM

COMPLETED PERSONNEL READINESS VERIFICATION

UPDATED MPRR

EXPRES TEST RESULTS ON A COPY OF THE DND 279 FORM SIGNED BY PSP AUTHORITIES (MUST MEET MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS)

CONDUCT SHEET (IF APPLICABLE)

MILITARY POLICE CONSENT TO DISCLOSURE OF CRIMINAL INFORMATION A-SJ-100-004/AG-000 7H4-1/4 HTTP://VCDS.MIL.CA/CFPM/PUBS/POL-PUBS/MPPTP/CH7H4 UNDERSCORE B.DOC AND

PHOTOCOPY OF VALID DRIVER S LICENSE AND DND 404/416

ALL COMPLETED APPLICATIONS MUST REACH THE CFPM OR, ATTENTION: CCLK, WO LETAIN (TWILA DOT LETAIN AT FORCES DOT GC DOT CA) CANADIAN FORCES PROVOST MARSHAL DEPARTMENT OF NATIONAL DEFENCE 2200 WALKLEY ROAD OTTAWA ONTARIO K1A 0K2, NLT 1 DEC 10

ANY FILES RECEIVED AT CFPM THAT ARE INCOMPLETE OR HAVE NOT MET THE MINIMUM FITNESS STANDARD, WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR THE SELECTION CENTRE

UNITS WILL BE INFORMED BY EMAIL/MSG WHICH APPLICANTS HAVE BEEN SELECTED TO PROCEED TO THE CPAC. SUITABLE APPLICANTS WILL BE INVITED TO ATTEND A FIVE-DAY SELECTION CENTRE IN JAN 11. APPLICANTS WHO ARRIVE AT CPAC AND DO NOT MEET THE PRE-REQUISITES FOR CP TRG AND EMPLOYMENT AS DETAILED IN PARA 3, WILL BE RETURNED TO THEIR HOME UNIT AND COST ASSOCIATED WITH THE APPLICANTS TRAVEL (BOTH WAYS) WILL BE RECOVERED FROM THE HOME UNIT

PREPARATION TRAINING. THE CPAC IS DESIGNED TO ASSESS IF APPLICANTS ARE LIKELY TO SUCCEED DURING THE CP COURSE, AND WHETHER THEY DEMONSTRATE THE ATTRIBUTES AND BASIC SKILL SETS REQR FOR FUTURE EMPLOYMENT AS A CP OPERATIVE. CP OPERATORS ARE EXPECTED TO PERFORM THEIR DUTIES OVER EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME AND IN DEMANDING CONDITIONS. AS SUCH, A HIGH LEVEL OF FITNESS IS REQUIRED OF ALL OPERATORS. THE CLOSE PROTECTION ASSESSMENT CENTRE WILL ASSESS CANDIDATES BASELINE OF FITNESS IN ORDER TO ENSURE SUCCESS DURING CP TRAINING. THE CP COURSE INCORPORATES A PHYSICAL TRAINING COMPONENT DESIGNED TO PROGRESSIVELY BRING CANDIDATES FROM THE MINIMUM ENTRY STANDARD TO A HIGHER LEVEL OF FITNESS IN ORDER TO MEET THE DEMANDS OF THE JOB

IN ORDER TO PREPARE FOR CP TRAINING, IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT INTERESTED MBRS FOLLOW A COMPREHENSIVE PHYSICAL TRAINING PROGRAM, INCLUDING BOTH AEROBIC AND ANAEROBIC EXERCISE. TO THIS END, MBRS CAN FOLLOW A PHYSICAL TRAINING PROGRAM, OR THE ARMY FITNESS MANUAL, A LINK TO BOTH IS AVAILABLE ON THE CFPM WEBSITE. IN ADDITION, PROSPECTIVE CANDIDATES ARE ALSO ENCOURAGED TO SPEND AS MUCH TIME AS POSSIBLE ON THE RANGE PRIOR TO SELECTION, CONCENTRATING ON BOTH THEIR PERSONAL WEAPON (P225, PREFERRED, OR 9MM BROWNING), AND THE C8

ASSESSMENT CENTRE. APPLICANTS WILL UNDERGO A FIVE-DAY SELECTION CENTRE. APPLICANTS WILL BE EXPECTED TO COMPLETE ENDURANCE RUNS OF UP TO 12 KM, AND ANY RUN MAY BE INTERSPERSED WITH CIRCUIT TRAINING (E.G., PUSH-UPS, SIT-UPS, SQUAT THRUSTS, TRICEP DIPS, CASUALTY EVACUATION, ETC.). MBRS WILL ALSO UNDERGO BOTH INDIVIDUAL AND GROUP TASKS DESIGNED TO ASSESS THE FOLLOWING COMPETENCIES: CONSCIENTIOUSNESS, SITUATIONAL AWARENESS, OPENNESS TO EXPERIENCE, SELF-CONFIDENCE, INTERPERSONAL SKILLS, TEAMWORK, PERSONAL EFFECTIVENESS, WRITTEN AND ORAL COMMUNICATION, PHYSICAL FITNESS, AND WEAPONS SAFETY/HANDLING

THE OP EFFECTIVENESS OF THE CP OPERATIVE DIRECTLY CONTRIBUTES TO THE PROMOTION OF CANADIAN SECURITY INTERESTS ABROAD. THE NATURE OF THE CP ROLE DEMANDS THAT INTENSIVE TRG BE CONTINUALLY CONDUCTED TO ENSURE THAT SKILLS ARE MAINTAINED AT A VERY HIGH LEVEL OF PROFICIENCY AND THEREFORE, MBRS MUST BE OPERATIONALLY EFFECTIVE AND READY TO DEPLOY ON SHORT NOTICE. THIS ENVIRONMENT REPRESENTS A UNIQUE AND CHALLENGING EXPERIENCE IN TERMS OF LIFESTYLE, AND DEMANDS THAT THE RIGHT PEOPLE BE SELECTED FOR THE JOB. THE WEALTH OF SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE GAINED BY CP OPERATIVES SERVES TO BENEFIT THE MEMBER IN ALL FUTURE EMPLOYMENT AND THE CF AS A WHOLE

QUESTIONS REGARDING THE SCREENING AND SELECTION PROCESS SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO THE COORD CELL, AT 613-949-1145, OR FAX (NON SECURE) 613-949-1117. INFO MAY ALSO BE FOUND ON THE CFPM WEBSITE

Link here:  http://vcds.dwan.dnd.ca/vcds-exec/pubs/canforgen/2010/215-10_e.asp

Hello, did a quick glance over the last couple of pages and didn't see anything related to Close Protection so I hope this isn't a repost.

My question is, does anyone know when/where Close Protection courses are being run? That is if they are still being run. If anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. This is somewhere I would really like to take my army career.

If they are looking for more operators, there is a CANFORGEN released every year detailing when the applications need to be submitted by. If you have DIN access, the Provost Marshal intranet site has all the info about applying to be CP.

Currently CP is only open to MP's it could change back, it could stay this way for awhile.

Strange. I have two buddies both reserve infantry who I think are on course right now, or are loaded to Start it very shortly. I'm almost certain it's running currently. Do you have a source for 'MP only'?

I'm interested as well, last CANFORGEN I saw had it open to any trade.

there's a big push to have CP MP only.....BUT it's still open for other trades at this moment.

Brihard said:
Strange. I have two buddies both reserve infantry who I think are on course right now, or are loaded to Start it very shortly. I'm almost certain it's running currently. Do you have a source for 'MP only'?

There is a Sgt from my unit on the course as well, however if you have DWAN you can go here http://vcds.mil.ca/sites/CFPM/Resources/docs/CP%20requirements%20March%202012.doc  and see for yourself, last 2 CPAC's were MP only who could apply.

outstanding! thank you all, i have just quit smoking and i feel like i can take this course by the balls if i were to get loaded lol

C.F.L. said:
outstanding! thank you all, i have just quit smoking and i feel like i can take this course by the balls if i were to get loaded lol

You would still need to pass selection, and I don't just mean survive until the end.  As I found out the hard way (cause I am bloody stubborn and thickheaded), my own personality and what they expected/wanted didn't match too well.

I've got a bit more word on this.

There are indeed guys from many trades on CP course right now. It also looks like this is the last one open to non MPs.

There's another troop in my unit who was going for it. I just saw an email exchange betwen him and a CWO over at the CP side of things, who confirmed that as of May it's being restricted to MPs only, and that on those grounds he can't apply. I suspect a new CANFORGEN will probably be promulgated at some point on this.

I'm by no means an official source, but I have seen this second hand from someone who is. Take that for what it's worth.

There's a huge push on to get MP onto this, and the next, CPAC but I haven't heard anything about it being restricted to MP only in the future. 

Even if it is, keep training, my guess is it won't be long before the doors are opened again to non-MP.  The Branch just isn't big enough to supply the numbers that are needed to attend CPAC to have the final numbers graduate the process IMHO and my belief is after this big push, there is going to be another huge dip in the number of candidates from the Branch.  It's all well and good for the Comd CF MP Gp to order,  "x number of MP WILL attend CPAC", but at the end of the day, CP is a very specialized interest that I've only seen a comparatively small number of MP expressing an interest in.

garb811 said:
There's a huge push on to get MP onto this, and the next, CPAC but I haven't heard anything about it being restricted to MP only in the future. 

Even if it is, keep training, my guess is it won't be long before the doors are opened again to non-MP.  The Branch just isn't big enough to supply the numbers that are needed to attend CPAC to have the final numbers graduate the process IMHO and my belief is after this big push, there is going to be another huge dip in the number of candidates from the Branch.  It's all well and good for the Comd CF MP Gp to order,  "x number of MP WILL attend CPAC", but at the end of the day, CP is a very specialized interest that I've only seen a comparatively small number of MP expressing an interest in.

On my CPAC we had 2.  Neither made it.

Hatchet Man said:
Currently CP is only open to MP's it could change back, it could stay this way for awhile.

Thats not totaly true. You have to be an MP to be POSTED to the CP team, anyone can be selceted for the course. Then they call you up when they need you for a tour or tasking.

Bomber for Life said:
Thats not totaly true. You have to be an MP to be POSTED to the CP team, anyone can be selceted for the course. Then they call you up when they need you for a tour or tasking.

Since the last two selections were MP only.....now things may (probably will) change back.

Back