• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Clearance diver

Rockstar

Inactive
Reaction score
I've kinda always had my heart set on being a Clearance Diver.  I have miniscule experience in underwater EOD through a civy company and after checking out the trades on the CF site, I quickly realised there isn't a clearance diver...or any advertised diver jobs.  I'm guessing its not a direct entry trade?  Any recommendations on how I can persue this?  Also is it a very competative trade (what are my chances of getting in?)?

Thanks.
Rockstar

The trade is open only to occupational transfers  I.E. people already in the CF and those people must be qualified either Ships diver, port inspection diver or combat diver in order to apply.

OK.  So basically, once i get on a boat I have to take Ships Diver as my secondary trade?  Then from there you apply.  What about combat diver, how do you get qualified for that? Is that a kind of "sub-catagory" of ships diver? 

Secondly, so if clearance diver is what i really really want it doesn't really matter what trade I innitially take because Clearance diver is a trade of its own?

Sorry guys, I really hate being ignorant, but I really have no clue where to start. haha bear with me.

Rockstar said:
  What about combat diver, how do you get qualified for that? Is that a kind of "sub-catagory" of ships diver? 

To be a combat diver you have to join the CF as a combat engineer and then be selected for the combat diver course. It doesnt happen to everyone and its not easy.

Secondly, so if clearance diver is what i really really want it doesn't really matter what trade I innitially take because Clearance diver is a trade of its own?

Yes it does matter.  You have to be in a trade that allows you to take the ships team diver course.  Joining as an AVN tech or a LCIS wont get you there.

but I really have no clue where to start. haha bear with me.

Well start by joining the Navy and then spend some time there until you meet the time and rank requirements and have been qualified ships team diver. Then when you meet the pre requisits, you can apply for CD and see if they take you.

Hey Rockstar....my buddy is a clearance diver here in Halifax...if you have any questions, I can try to get some answers if you like.
Cheers
C.O.D.

To get to clearance diver, you have first off to get in the Navy in any trade.  Once in, you have to get qualified as a ship's diver and once that's done you may apply to become a clearance diver.  To become a clearance diver, there is a two-weeks prelim selection "camp" where they weed out people that are either not physically or mentally capable to handle the job.  If you make it thru the two-week preliminary selection camp, than you're in and if my memory serves me write, you are looking at something like 8-10 months course, and now part of an elite group of people...

gunner065 said:
To get to clearance diver, you have first off to get in the Navy in any trade. 

You can also come from the Army......Combat engineer trade and qualified combat diver

The trade will soon be opened up for all element and all trades to join. This came from one of the PDU CD guys that I was working with during the summer.

In order to become a clearance diver, you have to first reach a certain level of qualification in your trade, be qualified as a ships diver or combat diver for reg force, port inspection diver for reserve, then you have to apply for an occupational transfer. If the OT is approved you get loaded on the prelim. You have to be physically fit and mentally strong in order to just make it through the prelim. On completion of the prelim, you might get selected to go on your clearance divers course, however just passing the prelim is no guarantee of being course loaded Both the prelim and the cd course are hard work and very long. Whatever trade you chose to go into, make sure you are at least a little bit interested in it before you sign on the dotted line. Just because you want to become a cd doesn't mean you will make it. If your gonna be stuck in a trade, you might as well at least like it a bit. Good luck whatever you decide, I hope you make it.
FEET :cdn:

Just like to add another thing to this.  Simply put, you have to already be a military diver, SARTECHs qualify as well.  You have to be QL5 to OT, this is standard for ANY OT.

You also have to pass the dive express test, which is almost the same as EXEMPT.  Ask your local PSP staff for the exact standard as it is different for every age group and sex.

The rest is as FEET stated.  The prelim is pure **** for 2 weeks.  Watch Truth, Duty, Valor for an idea. 

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.  I have worked at both FDUs as a PID and a number of my friends went CD.

DM

It's more to do with Ship's Divers, but watch for a new episode on the Discovery Chanel this fall.

They just wrapped shooting a couple of weeks ago on the west coast and will be putting out an episode on the Ships Team Diver course. 

This is an old threat, but if a person wasn't already in, wouldn't it be quicker (kind of a backdoor) to join a reserve unit as a PID, then do the prelim?  I would think that would be quicker than doing a reg QL3, waiting for your 5's (being a diver for the one year of course), etc...  Just a thought in case anyone who is not in the CF is looking at a full-time diving job with us. 

SweetNavyJustice said:
This is an old threat, but if a person wasn't already in, wouldn't it be quicker (kind of a backdoor) to join a reserve unit as a PID, then do the prelim?  I would think that would be quicker than doing a reg QL3, waiting for your 5's (being a diver for the one year of course), etc...  Just a thought in case anyone who is not in the CF is looking at a full-time diving job with us. 

It depends on the reserve division and the recruiting people in question.  Up until now, the naval reserve was not accepting any direct entry as a diver; you had to accept something else (bosn, meso, navcom, nciop, cook etc...) first, get qualified, then remuster.  Some people say that this hasn't changed, some say that they are now accepting direct entry divers.  However, getting your 5's in the reserves can be faster than reg force, and after that, a few request (and get) a ships team diver course.  This can happen if no trade course is upcomming, there is empty space on the diver course, etc...  Doesn't happen often, but I've met a few people who were not PID trades, had their dive course, then remustered once allowed do so. If you really, really want to go clearance diver, then reserves could still be faster, but it really depends.

DONT_PANIC said:
It depends on the reserve division and the recruiting people in question.  Up until now, the naval reserve was not accepting any direct entry as a diver; you had to accept something else (bosn, meso, navcom, nciop, cook etc...) first, get qualified, then remuster.  Some people say that this hasn't changed, some say that they are now accepting direct entry divers.  However, getting your 5's in the reserves can be faster than reg force, and after that, a few request (and get) a ships team diver course.  This can happen if no trade course is upcomming, there is empty space on the diver course, etc...  Doesn't happen often, but I've met a few people who were not PID trades, had their dive course, then remustered once allowed do so. If you really, really want to go clearance diver, then reserves could still be faster, but it really depends.

It fluctuates.  I joined as a direct entry PID and shortly after that they stopped doing it again.  The problem with going the reserve route is that you still need 4yrs reg force service (or equivalent) and be QL5 qualified (that would be QL2 for PIDs as our QLs are a little bit different).  4yrs equivalent service would most likely take you about significantly longer in the reserves, especially if you are only doing Class A time.

As for doing the STD course while being another trade in the Res, it is a matter of being in the right place at the right time.  I know when I was involved in training at FDU(A) a lot of courses were cancelled due to lack of pers, or the boats would send over pers at the last min (ie: day of the course).

DM

DiverMedic said:
It fluctuates.  I joined as a direct entry PID and shortly after that they stopped doing it again.  The problem with going the reserve route is that you still need 4yrs reg force service (or equivalent) and be QL5 qualified (that would be QL2 for PIDs as our QLs are a little bit different).  4yrs equivalent service would most likely take you about significantly longer in the reserves, especially if you are only doing Class A time.

As for doing the STD course while being another trade in the Res, it is a matter of being in the right place at the right time.  I know when I was involved in training at FDU(A) a lot of courses were cancelled due to lack of pers, or the boats would send over pers at the last min (ie: day of the course).

DM

I agree, strictly Class A would take a while.  However, for someone who was extremely committed to getting the remuster as soon as possible, if he went perma-shading for most of those 4 years, he could get it done pretty quick, as full time sailing would finish any OJPRs he had for his courses.  I'd guestimate that within 3-4 years of full time, he/she could finish their QL2/OJPR and their STD course, which is pretty fast.

I know that there is advanced training to be the ship's diver if you enlist as a BOS'N. But I doubt all they do is dive so make sure you like the trade.

If you want to go through reserves first port inspection diver is now a direct entry trade and it will get you the STD and deep dive course. Also you can get experience working with the CD's before going REG force.

Smirnoff123 said:
I know that there is advanced training to be the ship's diver if you enlist as a BOS'N. But I doubt all they do is dive so make sure you like the trade.

If you saw that in the recruiting literature, it's probably one of several courses that a person might be able to take in the Bosn trade, rather than something all Bosns take.

If you saw that in the recruiting literature, it's probably one of several courses that a person might be able to take in the Bosn trade, rather than something all Bosns take.
thats why I said advanced training not in their training.

Back