• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Civilian Equivalant Footwear?

jonsey

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok, what would be the closest publicly available footwear to the standard issue boots that I would likely end up getting after joining the Reserves?

Where could I get them, and how much would they be?

Army Surplus stores sell all the standard issue Army Footwear.

Army surplus stores do sell used Black Caddies, but by the time they get there what little ankle support they offer is shot.

If you‘re looking for something to equate to the boot to practice long marches, etc, get a pair of hiking boots with good ankle support so that you don‘t hurt yourself, then prepared to be disappointed when you‘re in.

When you do join, spare no expense buying good insoles. If you are in a health plan that provides for custom-made orthotic insoles, definetely make arrangements to get some.

If you have some disposable income than I suggest a pair of Danner Acadia boots. Have a look danner.com.

Boomer,
do you own a pair of the Acadia‘s? If you do, how do you find the toebox on them? Is it narrower than average? I‘m in the market for new boots and found the Danner Ft. Lewis boots to be narrow.

Redeye,
you are bang-on with the insoles, and I wish someone had mentioned that to my dumb*** self when I had first gotten in. The best insoles I‘ve found so far (YMMV) have been the Superfeet brand. I‘ve had numerous sets of orthotics made for me and, despite a zillion "adjustments", I have found them to do more harm than good. Maybe it‘s the companies we‘re using to make them? I don‘t know, but I‘ll be sticking with the Superfeet for now. FYI Jonsey, these can be found at Mountain Equipment Co-op or many other hiking equipment stores. They‘re around $30, but to me are worth their weight in gold. They aren‘t too bulky, provide a bit of cushioning (though not much), support your arch, and they dry quickly.

ps.- This would be my first post on this forum. Not much of an introduction, but my next post will be. ;)

Back