• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Christmas Gift Wrapping Tips for Men - A little late, but...hey...

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Merry Christmas

Christmas Gift Wrapping Tips for Men

This is the time of year when we think back to the very first Christmas, when the Three Wise Men --Gaspar,  Balthazar, and Herb -- went to see the baby Jesus and, according to the Book of Matthew, "presented unto Him gifts; gold, frankincense, and myrrh."

These are simple words, but if we analyze them carefully, we discover an important, yet often overlooked, theological fact: there is no mention of wrapping paper.

If there had been wrapping paper, Matthew would have said so: "And lo, the gifts were inside 600 square cubits of paper. And the paper was festooned with pictures of Frosty the Snowman. And Joseph was going to throweth it away, but Mary saideth unto him, she saideth, 'Holdeth it! That is nice paper! Saveth it for next year!' And Joseph did rolleth his eyeballs. And the baby Jesus was more interested in the paper than the frankincense."

But these words do not appear in the Bible, which means that the very first Christmas gifts were NOT wrapped. This is because the people giving those gifts had two important characteristics:

1. They were wise.
2. They were men.

Men are not big gift wrappers. Men do not understand the point of putting paper on a gift just so somebody else can tear it off. This is not just my opinion, this is a scientific fact based on a statistical survey of two guys I know. One is Rob, who said the only time he ever wraps a gift is "if it's such a poor gift that I don't want to be there when the person opens it." The other is Gene, who told me he does wrap gifts, but as a matter of principle never takes more than 15 seconds per gift. "No one ever had to wonder which presents daddy wrapped at Christmas," Gene said. "They were the ones that looked like enormous spitballs."

I also wrap gifts, but because of some defect in my motor skills, I can never completely wrap them. I can take a gift the size of a deck of cards and put it the exact center of a piece of wrapping paper the size of a regulation volleyball court, but when I am done folding and taping, you can still see a sector of the gift peeking out. (Sometimes I camouflage this sector with a marking pen.) If I had been an ancient Egyptian in the field of mummies, the lower half of the Pharaoh's body would be covered only by Scotch tape.

On the other hand, if you give my wife a 12-inch square of wrapping paper, she can wrap a C-130 cargo plane. My wife, like many women, actually likes wrapping things. If she gives you a gift that requires batteries, she wraps the batteries separately, which to me is very close to being a symptom of mental illness. If it were possible, my wife would wrap each individual volt.

My point is that gift-wrapping is one of those skills like having babies that come more naturally to women than to men. That is why today I am presenting: GIFT WRAPPING TIPS FOR MEN:
* Whenever possible, buy gifts that are already wrapped. If, when the recipient opens the gift, neither one of you recognizes it, you can claim that it's myrrh.

* The editors of Woman's Day magazine recently ran an item on how to make your own wrapping paper by printing a design on it with an apple sliced in half horizontally and dipped in a mixture of food coloring and liquid starch.. They must be smoking crack. If you're giving a hard-to-wrap gift, skip the wrapping paper! Just put it inside a bag and stick one of those little adhesive bows on it. This creates a festive visual effect that is sure to delight the lucky recipient on Christmas morning:

YOUR WIFE: Why is there a Hefty trash bag under the tree?
YOU: It's a gift! See? It has a bow!
YOUR WIFE: (peering into the trash bag): It's a leaf blower.
YOU: Gas-powered! Five horsepower!
YOUR WIFE: I want a divorce.
YOU: I also got you some myrrh.

In conclusion, remember that the important thing is not what you give, or how you wrap it. The important thing, during this very special time of year, is that you save the receipt.

Merry Christmas to You All!

That's what makes those gift bags so convenient. I also found out ::) you have to use one that big enough and lets the gift move around in it, and you have to put some of that coloured paper in with it, to kinda cover it. A card and a bow is supposed to be good with it too. Maybe I'll try all that stuff next time ;)

recceguy said:
A card and a bow is supposed to be good with it too. Maybe I'll try all that stuff next time

Some of the bags come with a little card attached to the handle.  Works wonders and doesn't get lost either. ;)

Personally, I just stuff the bag with Kleenex on top of the present ;D

+ 1 to the adhesive bow - although ribbon doesn't work bad either

Anyone else ever done the 'tootsie roll' wrapping? (roll present up in paper, twist ends - wrap tape around.... I actually was told never to do it again by an old GF...)

Gift bags are the way to go.  There is only one problem with them.  If you think women wanting to keep paper because it's nice and can be reused is bad enough, well, I've 648 gift bags stuffed in a closet that "we might be able to reuse", and never do.  ::)

Well, when I have to many gifts bag (rarely happen, I'm reusing most of them),
I'm giving them to http://www.lechainon.org/  which is always looking for some :).
Look in your neighborhood, you'll find someone you want them...

Guys...i know this might be a difficult concept for you, but.....you could always ask your sister, or a female friend to teach you how to wrap properly. She'll enjoy teaching you, and it keeps you out of shit in the long run.  Just a thought.

I have a better idea.  How about men don't bother wrapping gifts at all, just bring them "as is".  If the women don't like it, well, the guys can all just get together, go to the local "ballet" and watch a fine production of "swine lake" and drink beer while eating a sandwich.  ;)

Just a hint... anything that comes in a little robin's egg blue box does not need to be wrapped.  Just strategically place a small white bow so that you don't obscure the name Birks or Tiffanys and voila... a happy missus.

SamIAm said:
Just a hint... anything that comes in a little robin's egg blue box does not need to be wrapped.  Just strategically place a small white bow so that you don't obscure the name Birks or Tiffanys and voila... a happy missus.

Is that a colour?  being heterosexual, I know of only SIX:
Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple

Any colour I see that I do not recognise, I describe using one of the above with "-ish" added to the end.  So, I guess "Robin's Egg Blue" is "Blue-ish"?

;)

Hauptmann Scharlachrot said:
Is that a colour?  being heterosexual, I know of only SIX:
Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple

Funny you should say that... aren't those the colours of the "pride" rainbow?!?!?

Trinity said:
Funny you should say that... aren't those the colours of the "pride" rainbow?!?!?

"Pride"?  What's that?  All I know of "pride" is that it's a deadly (or mortal) sin

;)

what's wrong with wrapping with newspaper and guntape?  ???

"Pride"?  What's that?  All I know of "pride" is that it's a deadly (or mortal) sin

;)

well.. that.. and those stickers you keep putting on the back of my truck..

I will catch you one of these days...

COBRA-6 said:
what's wrong with wrapping with newspaper and guntape?  ???

Nothing, dear  ::) (patting gently COBRA-6 on the head)

well at least my gifts are waterproof and blast-resistant...

I have a better idea.  How about men don't bother wrapping gifts at all, just bring them "as is". 

Sounds like the cards my ex used to give me.  Never put them in an envelope, in fact never even got the envelope with them.  He would sign it and just stand it up somewhere, and wait for me to see it!  ::)

airmich said:
Sounds like the cards my ex used to give me.  Never put them in an envelope, in fact never even got the envelope with them.  He would sign it and just stand it up somewhere, and wait for me to see it!  ::)
Not wrapping a gift is ONE thing, but not putting the card in the envelope?  I mean, you get the card WITH the envelope, no?  I mean, if gifts came wrapped, that I could understand ;)

Back