• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chimo?

chrisf

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
How does one go about pronouncing "Chimo"?

The chi, does it sound like cheee or key?

Just a Sig Op ---
How does one go about pronouncing "Chimo"?
The chi, does it sound like cheee or key?
Big "Cheee" little "mo"

Stupid question here, but what does chimo mean? I have seen that engineers use it as a motto or saying but what does it mean and when do you use it?

In Inuite (sp) it was used when they met on the Tundra and means friend or some say welcome and if the giver got the same responce he was with a freind not an enemy.

Hehe.. Chimo is the name of our school mascot, which is a snarling polar bear.

I hesitate to display such ignorance... but before this site I've never heard this term "Chimo".
What does it mean, and where does it come from?

Two Inuit hunters would meet out on the Tundra.  At some distance, one would rub his belly and chest in a circular motion and shout "CHIMO?"( Are You Friendly?).  The other would repeat the gesture and shout "CHIMO!"( I Am Friendly).  The two would then close the distance and share a meal, gossip, whatever...

Chimo,  Kat

I have been above the Arctic circle and as a young sapper. I talked to the rangers about the word Chimo and they had no idea what I was talking about.  I think a bunch of engineers long ago made this word up when they were drinking there rum rations. Good word regardless.

Chimo!!!!!

I'm on basic right now in the reserves, and our MCpl who is and engineer asked if anyone knew what Chimo meant. Obviously I do not. So I am asking for some help. Anyone? ???

Thanks JT :cdn:

The real answer is at the end of the description in the second link:

This toast calls to mind the Engineers role in the
development of Canada's North, and has since
gained a wealth of meaning related to the
world-wide achievements of
Canadian Military Engineers everywhere

Back