• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CH-148 Cyclone Progress

Is this true? Sounds like a lot of flight hours to qualify for VertRep.

Attachments

• IMG_0892.jpeg
    IMG_0892.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37

Based on the S-92A+ so probably doesn’t do the RCAF any good.
I am told that, while externally similar to a Cyclone with (probably) some common parts, it is fundamentally a different helicopter.

It probably hurts Canada, as parts are in short supply. For common parts, if there is only one available, who do you think is going to get it- the USMC or Canada?

I am told that, while externally similar to a Cyclone with (probably) some common parts, it is fundamentally a different helicopter.

It probably hurts Canada, as parts are in short supply. For common parts, if there is only one available, who do you think is going to get it- the USMC or Canada?
Yeah as I understand it, the airframe, avionics, engines, transmission and more are different.
The Cyclones are truly orphans. Which is very unfortunate, as it did have a lot of potential.

So why in the hell did we buy it?

mean girls hiding GIF

So why in the hell did we buy it?
I believe at the time it was expected that the S92 "SuperHawk" was going places, and Canada would be on the leading edge of the curve with it.
Considering it was designed as a SeaKing replacement, and a supplement larger brother to the Blackhawk - it had very good lineage.
However the SeaHawk had already ate most of it's market share - and those who wanted a big MH bird went to the EH-101/Merlin.

As @Good2Golf points out - the RCAF had a fairly comprehensive plan for the EH-101 as a SAR and MH bird (and maybe even a Medium lift Tac bird for the Green AirForce) - until JC said "no Cadillac 'ellicopters"

The Canadian disease. And not just in defence procurement, witness Ottawa's LRT...
No small procurement Military can afford to be in that position.
If you buy a few hundred Helicopters then you are a player - and can leverage the OEM for support, but 24-26 airframes in which one has maxed out the damage clauses - well it doesn't give you a lot of leverage.

SMU SOF can afford to dump money into developmental bleeding edge as the numbers are small and relative dollar values are small compared to things like replacing ones fleet of Martime Helicopters.

LocMart bought Sikorsky from UTC in 2015, and a lot of older SIK folks think that the CH-148 debacle is why it was offloaded.

Honestly if it wasn't for the folding tail - one could fairly easily replace the airframes with H-92A+ and call it a day -- but given what I understand are size constraints from the CFP's that isn't an option -- so to my eye only SeakHawk remains viable (the Merlin is longer than the CH-148 and doesn't have a folding tail)

No small procurement Military can afford to be in that position.
If you buy a few hundred Helicopters then you are a player - and can leverage the OEM for support, but 24-26 airframes in which one has maxed out the damage clauses - well it doesn't give you a lot of leverage.

SMU SOF can afford to dump money into developmental bleeding edge as the numbers are small and relative dollar values are small compared to things like replacing ones fleet of Martime Helicopters.

LocMart bought Sikorsky from UTC in 2015, and a lot of older SIK folks think that the CH-148 debacle is why it was offloaded.

Honestly if it wasn't for the folding tail - one could fairly easily replace the airframes with H-92A+ and call it a day -- but given what I understand are size constraints from the CFP's that isn't an option -- so to my eye only SeakHawk remains viable (the Merlin is longer than the CH-148 and doesn't have a folding tail)
Pretty sure the Merlin has a folding tail

y11g7sphbg451.jpg

Back