• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFC Toronto as a posting

shado_wolf

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

Is anyone here posted to CFC Toronto?  What is it like to work there?  Are the PMQ's any good?  Were you able to live in an area outside of TO?  My posting choices just changed to TO and Greenwood.  I'm prolly gonna go with Toronto so the wife will have a better chance of getting a better paying job.  Thanks in advance.

Dylan

Contact the two Dets and see if you can get hold of the pers your replacing. Ask them their thoughts. Are they posting out because of career progession, etc? Or are they leaving because of problems with the area? What type of extracurricullar activities are you interested in. Do you like clubbing and partying? Or hunting and fishing? Do you mind a one hour commute to work, or down the road? Are you worried about the Cost of Living? Will the PDA make up the difference? What are your chances of learning enough to progess you in your trade?

You've posed a question that presents opposite ends of the spectrum. I can say, when I was Air Force, I traded a job in Comox, BC for a promotion and job in Trenton, and it was probably the worst mistake I made in my career, because I only looked at that one aspect of it.

That's all I can give you.

recceguy said:
I can say, when I was Air Force, I traded a job in Comox, BC for a promotion and job in Trenton

You are seeing a therapist about that..............right ?

aesop081 said:
You are seeing a therapist about that..............right ?

If you track me here, you'll find that, typically, therapists are money down the drain. Alcohol and Army Reserves seem to help somewhat, depending on the time of day and week.  ;)

That and Prozac :blotto:

The Aerospace Telecommunications and Information Systems Technician (ATIS Tech) performs, supervises and directs the repair and maintenance of all types of Air Force telecommunications systems, as well as information technology infrastructure supporting national operational command and control information systems. These include: static and deployable airfield communication, radar and navigational systems, long-range radio communications systems, deployable long-range radar and associated communication link systems, special purpose electronic systems used in signals intelligence operations, and cryptographic equipment.ATIS techs also manage and maintain mobile and fixed satellite communications systems, microwave systems, switchboards, cable plants, and all forms of command and control computer systems and networks. Their primary technical functions are to perform preventive and corrective maintenance, system restoration, special inspections, modifications, installations and acceptance checks, as well as the repair and overhaul of all types of telecommunications, navigation and cryptographic systems.

As well, I would also guess they do these same functions for whatever Unit they're posted with. Ergo, they probably take care of the Base computer and phone network amongst other things. The functions are the same throughout the trade, only the enviroment changes.

the 48th regulator said:
and here I thought you were in recruiting kincanucks?

dileas

tess

Remind me Wednesday night Hiram. I'll explain it

recceguy said:
The Aerospace Telecommunications and Information Systems Technician (ATIS Tech) performs, supervises and directs the repair and maintenance of all types of Air Force telecommunications systems, as well as information technology infrastructure supporting national operational command and control information systems. These include: static and deployable airfield communication, radar and navigational systems, long-range radio communications systems, deployable long-range radar and associated communication link systems, special purpose electronic systems used in signals intelligence operations, and cryptographic equipment.ATIS techs also manage and maintain mobile and fixed satellite communications systems, microwave systems, switchboards, cable plants, and all forms of command and control computer systems and networks. Their primary technical functions are to perform preventive and corrective maintenance, system restoration, special inspections, modifications, installations and acceptance checks, as well as the repair and overhaul of all types of telecommunications, navigation and cryptographic systems.

As well, I would also guess they do these same functions for whatever Unit they're posted with. Ergo, they probably take care of the Base computer and phone network amongst other things. The functions are the same throughout the trade, only the enviroment changes.

This is a bit of a stretch in thinking that a Private ATIS or any other ATIS would be posted to the Canadian Forces Colleg but I guess anything is possible. Perhaps the originator could confirm that he was referring to the college?

the 48th regulator said:
and here I thought you were in recruiting kincanucks?

dileas

tess

Now why would I know that an ATIS Tech could be posted to CFC Toronto, if it is true?  I am not in the career managing business.

The duties of an ATIS tech are performed in operation centres, in static and mobile workshops, or outdoors where they are exposed to all climatic conditions. In geographic terms, employment as an ATIS tech can vary from bases within Canada and the USA, including the Arctic, to locations throughout the world, in response to NATO and UN commitments. Appropriate training, environmental clothing and equipment are provided, and Aerospace Telecommunications and Information Systems Technicians' health, safety and morale are closely monitored.

Given what I, and kincancks, posted from CF websites, I can see a posting to anywhere that has more than three phones and a computer. Read the trade specs. Sigs, etc is like any other common trade. Just cause your Blue, don't mean you won't train Green.

CFC (also commonly known as "Staff College") has quite a few computers, plus it's a "Joint" (Army/Navy/Air Force) institution - thus, it actually does make sense that an ATIS could get posted there (i.e. SOMEBODY has to do all the work ... ha!)

I spent four years there (on staff - not in remedial trg ...)

Toronto certainly offers employment opportunities for spouses.  However, it can be expensive to live there (hence it has the highest PLD rate in Canada, last time I checked).

The PMQ situation isn't a simple one to expain, but ... here goes ...
Once upon a time, some IDIOT decided to close down CFB Toronto and turn it into a park ...
Several years later ... it's not really much of a park ... (but, of course - nobody is ever going to admit they made a mistake ... and, greedy land speculators are still drooling at the propect of getting their hands on some dirt cheap dirt - pun intended ...)

Moving right along ... depending on who you listen to, there are plans to bulldoze the existing PMQs and build new ones ... or not.  So, there's some uncertainty ... or maybe not ...

The Downsview PMQ patch is small, and depending on the time of month CFHA will tell you there aren't any available ... or there are empty ones ... or ... or ... or ...

The Oakville PMQ patch is West of Toronto, and not everybody likes to commute - however, quite a few folks who live out there enjoy living in a nice neighbourhood (oh ... did I forget to mention that Downsview is roughly five minutes away from Toronto's WORST neighbourhood ... something my conscience forces me to mention ... ?)

Accordingly, you might like to consider living out - PLD makes it a reasonable option, BUT be careful - Toronto is divided up into "zones", and some people have made the horrible mistake of buying or renting "just across the border" ... where they receive a lower rate of PLD (and they've suffered).

If you can't afford to buy a house right now, don't worry about it - the real estate market is still very, very high (and "buy high, sell low" is just a joke ...)

Rather than waste your money renting a ramshackle PMQ at CFHA's rip-off prices, you'd probably get much more value for your hard-earned dollar by renting something in a nicer neighbourhood.

Finally - talk to some of the other guys in your rank/pay bracket, and get their opinions (and "lessons learned" ...) - BUT, please promise me you'll talk to some Torontonians, too - I've lost track of how many horror stories I've witnessed "the blind leading the blind" (i.e. just because somebody else was posted into Toronto one or two years ago doesn't mean they actually know the REAL lay of the land.  Make sure you talk to some locals ... or long-timers ...)

bossi said:
Toronto is divided up into "zones"

I see that rates have changed again.  I am up for a posting to Toronto.  Can anyone tell me what the geographical boundaries are for the 5 different PLD zones.

Thanks

As it sits my COS date is 09 Jan 06 to be in T.O....

I am going to see IRP on Monday and I am hoping they can answer that question as I've asked everybody I could so far and haven't recieved any definative answers.

I'll let you know what I find out.  By the way, what is you trade and when are you supposed to be there?

Dylan

Back