• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFAT Help - Advice for Individuals Writing CFAT

mgd122

Inactive
Reaction score
I had quite frequently visited this site for information/advice on prepping for the CFAT and I promised myself, pending that I would pass for the officer cut-off, that I would provide advice to any newcomers who are anxious or nervous about how to study for the examination. I myself was part of that group.

Unlucky for me, I did not score high enough on the CFAT my first time around. That was back six years ago when I just began university. Honestly, I did not study/prep much for the exam and I really did not comprehend what sort of material to study. At that time I had not taken a math course since grade 11, so my practice in the realms of mathematics was almost non-existent. Additionally my spatial ability needed major refining. I went in, ill prepared, and did not score high enough for the officer cut off. The first section went great, but the spatial and mathematics portions not so much. Mostly it was due to my spatial ability.

After the test, I was majorly bummed and decided to finish my university education. Years later after graduating from my program and working a permanent job in the government (in a related field to trades I am applying for) I decided to, once again, pursue the CF. I applied for DEO in a few different fields and I am presently involved in the application progress.

Based on reading countless posts on this website, there are some individuals who that believe that you cannot, yes - cannot, increase your spatial ability by studying / prepping. Over and over I heard the line "either you have it or you don't", which was a little daunting. However, this was not the case for myself. I prepped and prepped. I studied hard and used almost every resource available to me (yes, some cost money - but if you really want something go for it no matter what cost). Despite being nervous on the test day, it all paid off and I made it past the officer cut off. I drastically improved in those two sections.

While I cannot say for sure whether I will get into the CF via the DEO option, I wanted to post some info for applicants to utilize (without divulging the contents of the test)

1) Find at your local bookstore Government/Police/Military examination prep books. These really do help in terms of the mathematics and the spatial sections. Can be a little pricey.
2) Find website sites (free and pay for service) where you have access to practice / mock military - police style aptitude tests. These really help, and learning how to complete the problems under a time crunch is important.
3) Practice aptitude tests with spatial sections. These really helped me to look at cube folding in a different light. There are numerous apps with different spatial styles to practice.
4) Understand the practice CFAT exam (provided by the CF), but realize that the actual test problems are much more difficult – especially the spatial portion. It’ not about how to solve a problem (mathematics) but understanding how to solve a problem under a severe time crunch. (Look forward and then look back at the difficult questions).

I realize that many will say “no need to study or to prep. It’s a test to measure your aptitude at the time of application.” However, if you are struggling with any aspect of the test it would not hurt to study and study. After all if this is a career you want, really go for it and strive for the best.

Don’t make the same mistake as me my first time around. If math/spatial problems are not easy for you reach out and make use of the resources out there.

Good post mgd122.

The advice I'd like to give following my CFAT is that you need to teach yourself to think smart. You get time to come back to questions, but I got so stuck on the second last question that the timer cut me off before I even looked at the last question, and that free mark off is something nobody wants. [:D

As the old motto goes "Don't work hard, work smart."

I also wrote my CFAT as a DEO applicant. I only downloaded the aptitude test app off iTunes App Store and practised on that over and over again and I managed to pass my CFAT with a high score on my first try. I absolutely bombed the verbal part though :-[ I think it's whether an individual makes an effort to practise/re-visit the skills they've learned, especially for the math/spatial awareness parts.

BlueAngels14 said:
I also wrote my CFAT as a DEO applicant. I only downloaded the aptitude test app off iTunes App Store and practised on that over and over again and I managed to pass my CFAT with a high score on my first try. I absolutely bombed the verbal part though :-[ I think it's whether an individual makes an effort to practise/re-visit the skills they've learned, especially for the math/spatial awareness parts.
The app from iTunes was really helpful - totally recommend it for someone who needs an introduction on aptitude tests. It's a bit harder version from some companies that requires aptitude test on its applicants but the same idea.

I was qualified for all NCM jobs! Thanks for the CFAT app from iTunes.

mgd122 said:
Based on reading countless posts on this website, there are some individuals who that believe that you cannot, yes - cannot, increase your spatial ability by studying / prepping.

Visual-spatial abilities can be improved with practice.  Chemists (and other scientists) often need to develop spatial-visualization skills.  There has been research done into helping engineering students develop spatial-visualization skills.

I will see if I can find some resources for practicing visual-spatial skills and post links or references here.

Even visual acuity can be trained (Quevedo et al., 2012).  I know that isn't part of the CFAT, but it is part of the medical testing.

Cited Work

Quevedo, L., Aznar-Casanova, J. A., Merindano-Encina, D., Cardona, G., & Solé-Fortó, J. (2012). A novel computer software for the evaluation of dynamic visual acuity. Journal of optometry, 5(3), 131-138.

Advice :

-dont over think
-dont spend to much time on any one question
-use common sense
-use mathematical theory to your advantage "+ - x /"
-think positive

A bit more advice:

• Answer the questions that you can answer first.
  • If you don't think you can answer something or get stuck, then skip the question and come back to it later. 
  • If you are not penalized for wrong answers then guess.
  • If you have time then be sure to double check your answers.

Even some simple toys can help people develop visual-spatial intelligence.  3D CAD software can allow users to create 3D objects and rotate them, view them as wires (instead of solid blocks) so you can see how every edge moves when rotated.  Some book stores used to sell molecular modeling kits for chemistry students.  These kits help students understand the principles of stereochemistry.  Playing with these models can really help develop 3D visualization and rotation skills, especially if the modeling kit has an instruction booklet explaining the basics of stereochemistry. 

Even construction toys for children can help develop visual-spatial intelligence.  The molecular modeling toys I mentioned were invaluable for my own visual-spatial skills.

Some simple activities to help develop visual-spatial intelligence:

Playing video games can help. Tetris comes to mind but also first-person shooters because they involve moving around a well-defined but often complex environment where threats can come from any direction.  Games where the player has to navigate, such as in role-playing games, can help.

I really enjoyed Foldit.  It is a game where the player tries to fold a protein into the most stable conformation.  You can take a look at it here:
<a href="https://fold.it/portal/">Foldit</a>

Take practice tests that involve mental rotation.  A Google search will often yield good results.  IQ tests on the internet often have questions that require visual-spatial intelligence to solve.

Try using spatial-visual skills in everyday life.  If you decide to go for a bike ride then look at a map and plan a route. This can be especially helpful if you decide you want to go somewhere that you have never been before.  Look at the map and instead of just memorizing a route to take, try to really understand the area by visualizing where you are going.

More to come . . .

CFAT TEST Trainer un the playstore.

Envoyé de mon SGH-M919 en utilisant Tapatalk

Back