• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF to be Involved in Ontario's Ex Trillium Response

Besides, how much eating out and gentlemen's clubbing are you planning to do if there's a disaster so bad here, they have to call in outside help?

I guess that all depends on how much notional snow there is to shovel. I just want to do my part to support the local economy. ;D

Wonderbread said:
I guess that all depends on how much notional snow there is to shovel. I just want to do my part to support the local economy. ;D

One fiver in the g-string at a time, right?  ;D

Seriously, online sources have TONS of good stuff, but feel free to PM if you need something that doesn't make sense online straightened out.

Wonderbread said:
Anyone from Thunder Bay on the forums?
Yup
Wonderbread said:
Whats the low down on this place?
A little good, a little bad. Depends who's asking; also depends on which way the wind is blowing (sorry, grew up in Westfort beside the mill).
Wonderbread said:
I know this will probably all come down in orders, but I'm curious to hear it from the locals.
I think Tony covered it all, but I can give you a high school tour if you're interested  ;D

How are they going to simulate the snow?

Don't get me wrong it just seems like a fairly easy exercise to call up McGuinty and say it didn't snow and go home.

Something to do I suppose?

What is the pricetag?

---

Maybe Mike Haris can be the person who is dubbed as controlling the weather machine from hell, and the exercise could take on a whole new perspective, once it is discovered that it has malfunctioned, and he is powerless to do damage, well until he can get it working.

Has it occurred to  you that we simulate lots of things?

I know it wasn't always that way but the attrition rate was unbelievable when we 'exercised' with the real bullets.

Right, ice cream trucks do have a purpose after summer afterall.

OK, your turn to sit in the back.

So why is the back of the ice rink marked 34 times on the operational schedule?

I geuss a few cloud bursts after seeding as sub zero temps would create snow, I would just be suprised and maybe even wondering how the people in Thunder Bay take to artificial snow fall. Who knows just my 2cents.

army08 said:
Right, ice cream trucks do have a purpose after summer afterall.

OK, your turn to sit in the back.

So why is the back of the ice rink marked 34 times on the operational schedule?

I geuss a few cloud bursts after seeding as sub zero temps would create snow, I would just be suprised and maybe even wondering how the people in Thunder Bay take to artificial snow fall. Who knows just my 2cents.

I think you need a refund on what ever the hell you are smoking.

http://www.tbsource.com/Localnews/index.asp?cid=113453

Winter weather treacherous on highway
Tb News Source
Web Posted: 11/19/2008 3:40:23 PM

The first snowfall of the season caused several accidents Wednesday on Highway 17.

At about 7:30 a.m. near Schreiber, two military vehicles from CFB Pettawa skidded off the road. One rolled over onto its roof, resulting in two soldiers being hospitalized in Terrace Bay for non-life threatening injuries. The accident forced OPP to reduce the highway to one lane until 3 p.m.

The vehicles were travelling to Thunder Bay for Operation Trillium Response, the mock disaster scenario designed to test the province's emergency response capabilities.

At about 11:30 a.m., a truck towing a U-Haul trailer and a car lost control just east of Schreiber. The trailer and car came loose and hit a light post. The driver wasn't hurt, but he was charged with failing to drive in a marked lane.

old medic said:
Winter weather treacherous on highway
Tb News Source
Nevermind, I almost missed my driveway on the way home...in 4x4.  >:(

Latest Update...apparently we have no power (as I type this from work  ;))

http://www.chroniclejournal.com/stories_local.php?id=148538
Emergency exercise heats up
By THE CHRONICLE-JOURNAL
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Meanwhile, the Canadian Forces‘ largest transport airplane, the CC-177 Globemaster, is to arrive in Thunder Bay today at noon to deliver troops and cargo for the exercise.
It would be a sorely-needed delivery. As of Wednesday, in the simulated ice storm universe, extreme freezing temperatures are causing damage across Northwestern Ontario, leaving all of Thunder Bay without power due to heavy ice on the lines.
The online article fails to mention that the two vehicles involved in yesterday's crash are so badly banged up, they need to be sent back to Petawawa.
I have to keep my eyes open for the CC-177...that would be quite the sight at our humble little aerodrome. I'm sure they'll have some pics on the local media; I'll post something tomorrow, if Tony doesn't beat me to it.
**editted for some early morning typos.

ex-Sup said:
The online article fails to mention that the two vehicles involved in yesterday's crash are so badly banged up, they need to be sent back to Petawawa.

Mentioned in another story dealing with "accidents on the first major snowfall" theme....
.... Four soldiers whose military cargo trucks ended up in a Trans-Canada Highway ditch during the region‘s first big snow storm are OK and will participate in emergency training exercises today in Thunder Bay.  But their vehicles aren‘t doing so hot and will be transported back to CFB Petawawa near Ottawa, said the battalion‘s commanding officer.  “The damage is more than what we are able to repair here in Thunder Bay,” Lt.-Col. Kelby Hamilton said Wednesday from a temporary military base at Thunder Bay‘s CLE fair grounds.  Mobile 1, Ontario‘s Mobile Emergency Operations Communication Centre, was also delayed by Wednesday‘s storm.  The two eastbound cargo trucks were travelling to the exercise around 7:30 a.m. Wednesday when they lost control on Highway 17 just west of the main entrance to Rainbow Falls Provincial Park, about 180 kilometres east of Thunder Bay.  One truck ended up on its roof, while the other went off the road backwards, police said.  Two of the soldiers were treated and released from Terrace Bay‘s McCausland Hospital.  The storm, which originated in northern Alberta, caused slippery roads between Nipigon and Sault Ste. Marie starting just after midnight Wednesday ....

Big plane flies in - image below.  Shared with the usual disclaimer...

Colossal aircraft lands at Thunder Bay airport
Tb News Source
Web Posted: 11/20/2008 5:57:34 PM

West Jet and Air Canada Jazz passengers might have had a little wingspan envy Thursday morning, cowering in the shadow of the behemoth Canadian Air Force’s CC-177 Globemaster 3 that lumbered onto the tarmac at Thunder Bay International Airport.

Its four engines generate 40,400 pounds of thrust apiece.

The plane is capable of carrying a payload as high 72,500 kilograms – the equivalent of 12 of the largest male African elephants on the planet – and burns through more than 11,000 litres of jet fuel an hour....

More on link

Wow, looks comfier than a Herc.  And if we ever need to transport 12 of the largest male African elephants on the planet......
smiley_elephant.gif

Here's the Thunder Bay Television version of today's headlines:

http://cdn.dayport.com/tbtvimg/htm/tbtvplayer_2004.htm?Art_ID=15331

Enjoy!

Snow-shovel-drill:

Squad ONE: (assume shoveling position)

Squad TWO: (make shoveling motion to imitate clearing of path)

Squad THREE: (dump snow in sideways angular motion - instructor demonstrates).

From the top: SQUAD!  SHO - VEL!

ONE! - two three - ONE! two three, ONE! (snapping sound heard)

Oh crap - MAN DOWN! MAN DOWN - bring the backboard!..lol..

Back