• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF pension reform and terms of service changes

So if I'm signed on an IE20 I'm safe to complete my contract and retire on the old 20/40 plan as long as i was a contributor on or before 28 FEB 07 (which i am)
am i understanding this correctly
My next Question if i decide to break contract and my release date is after 01 MAR 09 i can't receive RETURN OF CONTRIBUTIONS i must wait until minimum
age 50 or go for a transfer and hope i can sell it on the open market
is this correct or am i out to lunch

Jeremy

Can someone verify if this is still up-to-date or if there have been updates since?

If you are not a current member, on enrolment the pension plan requires two years to vest, and twenty five years to retire with an immediate unreduced annuity, with a maximum of 35 years of pensionale service.  The thrity five year limit is across all federal plans, including the PSSA and RCMPSA.

If you were a member prior to the coming-into-force of the new provisions, you may be grandfathered, permitting you to retire after 20 years.

(Note that medical releases are different)

In the event of medical release am I stuck with the medical bills?

In the event of death [either in service or off-duty while still a member], does my wife/children get the pension?

kawa11 said:
In the event of medical release am I stuck with the medical bills?

The CF will provide medical care t orelease; post-release, assuming a service-related injury (or service attributed injury) you'd transition to VAC for medical care. 

In the event of death [either in service or off-duty while still a member], does my wife/children get the pension?

Survivors pensions are included in the CFSA: spouse receives 50% of your entitlement, minors (and, I believe, full-time students up to 25) each receive 10% of your entitlement.

Payments under the New Veteran's Charter or other legislation are above and beyond these amounts.

There is also severance pay on release, plus the Sudden Death Benefit in the event of a service death.

The CF will provide medical care t orelease; post-release, assuming a service-related injury (or service attributed injury) you'd transition to VAC for medical care.

I have not heard of anyone who had post-release care from the CF. Didn't it fall under VAC if they had an entitlement.? Can anyone give examples or cases , names withheld obviously.

krustyrl said:
I have not heard of anyone who had post-release care from the CF. Didn't it fall under VAC if they had an entitlement.? Can anyone give examples or cases , names withheld obviously.

There are minor instances where care will be provided post-release (for example, to conclude a set of treatments) but those are exceptional

My earlier statement, with added white space:

The CF will provide medical care to release;

post-release, ... you'd transition to VAC for medical care.

Back