• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Hair Regulations - Female styles

VGlaub said:
Hi all!

Let me start by saying sorry if this has already been answered. I did do a search and nothing came up.

My ladies with curly hair who have been to bmq or are there right now. Im on the fence about bringing a hair straightener. Not to straighten my hair every day. Ain't nobody got time for that. But I have baby hairs all around my face and with them being curly it makes them extremely annoying to deal with so I usually give them a quick straighten and then slick them back. Should I bring my straightener or just load up on extra product? What has everyone else's experience been? Thanks in advance!

I haven't been to CFLRS, therefore I'm not familiar with their specific SOPs and BSOs (USOs? I'm not sure how CFLRS is classified) but I know that generally any sort of heating appliance is a no go in shacks, especially ones without an automatic shut-off.

Thanks everyone for getting back so quickly! Will definitely NOT bring the straightener then and just load up on hair gel. Can't say I really wanted to deal with packing it anyways so kind of a relief.

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I've scanned all six pages and while my question may have been answered, the majority of links for images are now broken.
I head out for my BMOQ at the end of August, and while my hair is long enough to put into a bun, I'm debating on cutting it shorter so I don't have to worry about putting it up.
Is a short style like this acceptable? I'm assuming I would still have to pull the front part back with bobby pins.

Simple-easy-daily-haircut-ideas-Inverted-bob-hairstyle.jpg

serifed said:
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I've scanned all six pages and while my question may have been answered, the majority of links for images are now broken.
I head out for my BMOQ at the end of August, and while my hair is long enough to put into a bun, I'm debating on cutting it shorter so I don't have to worry about putting it up.
Is a short style like this acceptable? I'm assuming I would still have to pull the front part back with bobby pins.

Simple-easy-daily-haircut-ideas-Inverted-bob-hairstyle.jpg

You'll see many variations of that style. (I currently have an angled bob like that.) However, note that the front of that specific style photo is too long, it's below/touching the collar. You'll have to pin it up/back somehow. However, if you choose an angled bob and the longest portion is chin length, you should be fine. (Edit to add: Apologies, as you mentioned that initially in your post.)

Cons to the style: IMO, it's actually a bit of a nuisance. It's an in-between length and with drill (such as remove head-dress/replace head-dress), with wind blowing when in formation outside, field stuff, etc it can be a nuisance. Short enough so it doesn't get in your face and/or eyes at any point, or long enough so that you can tie it all back in place is the easiest for course.

BeyondTheNow said:
You'll see many variations of that style. (I currently have an angled bob like that.) However, note that the front of that specific style photo is too long, it's below/touching the collar. You'll have to pin it up/back somehow. However, if you choose an angled bob and the longest portion is chin length, you should be fine. (Edit to add: Apologies, as you mentioned that initially in your post.)

Cons to the style: IMO, it's actually a bit of a nuisance. It's an in-between length and with drill (such as remove head-dress/replace head-dress), with wind blowing when in formation outside, field stuff, etc it can be a nuisance. Short enough so it doesn't get in your face and/or eyes at any point, or long enough so that you can tie it all back in place is the easiest for course.

Thanks for the response! I'll leave my hair as is for now and maybe cut my hair into an angled bob after course.

The CAF has just amended the dress regulations for all CAF members who express their gender as female

CANFORGEN 048/19 - CMP 030/19 011939Z APR 19

CHANGES TO CAF DRESS INSTRUCTIONS SPECIFIC TO WOMENS SERVICE DRESS

UNCLASSIFIED

REF: A.MINUTES OF THE NDCDC 02/18 10 DEC 18 (HTTP://CMP-CPM.MIL.CA/EN/HONOURS-HISTORY/PUBLICATIONS-HISTORY/NATIONAL-DEFENCE-CLOTHING-DRESS-COMMITTEE.PAGE )
B. A-AD-265-000/AG-001 CAF DRESS INSTRUCTIONS

1. THE NDCDC MET FOR ITS SEMI ANNUAL MEETING ON 10 DEC 18. THE COMMITTEE TACKLED A NUMBER OF ISSUES THAT AFFECT CAF MEMBERS WHO EXPRESS THEIR GENDER AS WOMEN AND AS A RESULT A NUMBER OF AMDTS TO REF B WERE PROPOSED TO AFC. THE FOLLOWING IS A SUMMARY OF THOSE APPROVED CHANGES FOR CAF MEMBER WHO EXPRESS THEIR GENDER AS WOMEN

a. HAIRSTYLES FOR LONG HAIR. IN ADDITION TO CURRENTLY APPROVED HAIRSTYLES, IT WILL NOW BE PERMITTED TO WEAR SINGLE PONY TAILS IN ALL ORDERS OF DRESS OTHER THAN CEREMONIAL OR FULL DRESS (ALL NUMBER ONE ORDER OF DRESS). THE PONY TAIL WILL FOLLOW THE EXISTING REGULATIONS REGARDING SINGLE BRAIDS (LENGTH NOT TO EXCEED BELOW THE TOP OF THE ARMPIT, TO BE GATHERED IN THE CENTRE BACK OF THE HEAD). OPERATIONAL, HEALTH AND SAFETY CONSIDERATIONS WILL REMAIN PARAMOUNT AND LOCAL COMMANDERS WILL CONTINUE TO HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO RESTRICT THE WEARING OF LONG HAIRSTYLES AS APPLICABLE FOR SUCH REASONS

b. NYLONS. THE WEARING OF NYLONS WILL BE OPTIONAL. AS OPTIONAL ITEMS, MEMBERS WOULD BE RESPONSIBLE TO PURCHASE THEM. THE REGULATIONS REGARDING NYLONS REMAIN UNCHANGED (PLAIN PATTERN SKIN-TONED)

c. FOOTWEAR TO BE WORN WITH THE CAF SKIRT AND PANTS. OPTIONAL FOOTWEAR WILL BE AMENDED TO REFLECT THAT HEEL HEIGHT IS NOT TO EXCEED 5 CM IN HEIGHT THUS ALLOWING THE ADDITION OF FLATS AND ALL HEIGHTS IN BETWEEN, BUT NOT BALLERINA SLIPPER STYLES

2. REF B WILL BE AMENDED IN DUE COURSE. QUESTIONS CONCERNING THESE CHANGES OR FURTHER CLARIFICATION TO THE AMDTS IN REF B CAN BE SUBMITTED TO DHH 3 AT (PLUS SIGN)DHH3(AT SIGN)CMP DHH(AT SIGN) OTTAWA-HULL OR ADDRESSED THORUGH THE CHAIN OF COMMAND OR AS OUTLINED IN REF B

dangerboy said:
The CAF has just amended the dress regulations for all CAF members who express their gender as female

Excellent. Now all I need to do is wait for the inevitable "unisex dress instructions" CANFORGEN. Hopefully it won't be that long.

tree hugger said:
No start date specified?  So tomorrow??

Yup, seems to be. ‘Reads that meeting was late last year, they’ve probably spent the interim fine-tuning some details until it was released today with a caveat that ‘B’ will be/can be amended as needed...and where to direct inquiries.

I was given the go-ahead for tomorrow by my CoC. I’ll probably still switch it up between a bun and braid on occasion. But I have to admit, I’m in no way disappointed by now having the option of doing a simple pony-tail.

I’ve already heard a few grumblings and I really feel these little adjustments are necessary. Ultimately, (I’d like to think that) the military is realizing that relaxed dress standards isn’t reflective of the quality of their military. (Beards, hair, boots, etc.) Many other developed nation’s militaries have proven this to be so. CAF needs to grow/evolve if it wants its numbers to grow also.

I passed this on to my section today, good to go for tomorrow if they want.

The DTG of the Canadian Forces General Order (CANFORGEN) would be the eff date, wouldn't it? 

CANFORGEN 048/19 - CMP 030/19 011939Z APR 19

Unless there is a specific date within the CANFORGEN, then yes the effective date is the DTG.  In this case there is no other date within the body of the message.

b. NYLONS. THE WEARING OF NYLONS WILL BE OPTIONAL. AS OPTIONAL ITEMS, MEMBERS WOULD BE RESPONSIBLE TO PURCHASE THEM. THE REGULATIONS REGARDING NYLONS REMAIN UNCHANGED (PLAIN PATTERN SKIN-TONED)....

How long before someone decides to try to direct these bare-legged women to shave those legs?  We all know someone is going to try...

Cheers,

AK

Much like our new beards, they can have leg hair up to 2 cm in length. If I don't have to shave anymore, why should women?

I can't wait for the non discriminatory hair regulations so I can have a glorious mullet.

PuckChaser said:
Much like our new beards, they can have leg hair up to 2 cm in length. If I don't have to shave anymore, why should women?

I can't wait for the non discriminatory hair regulations so I can have a glorious mullet.

Viking pony tails #ftw

Maybe I just don't notice things or because I'm at a flying sqn (where female aircrew were allowed ponytails for helmets anyway), but I didn't even notice a difference until my female CAF friends talked about it on social media. 

Dimsum said:
Maybe I just don't notice things or because I'm at a flying sqn (where female aircrew were allowed ponytails for helmets anyway), but I didn't even notice a difference until my female CAF friends talked about it on social media.

I've definitely notice a difference. All the women here on base appear to be wearing pony tails now.

Noticed that the other day... and can't say much when the Cmdt sports one...

NFLD Sapper said:
Noticed that the other day... and can't say much when the Cmdt sports one...

But why would you want to? (say something/much)

And the meme it out, thanks to 3 Can Div ...

- OP edit to fix number of division creating PONYTAILFORGEN graphics -

Attachments

• #Ponytailforgen38bde.JPG
    #Ponytailforgen38bde.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 285
Back