• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Hair Regulations - Female styles

Hoplite- said:
AFAIK, that would not be acceptable. Also, did you do this before or after being sworn in?

From the Dress Pam
I haven't seen any females in the Military do that.

Looking at your posts, you have recently joined a Reserve unit. What have they told you? Or have they not seen your hair yet?

Perhaps you shouldn't have shaved part of your hair off than.

Neat, but that doesn't take away from the fact that you had a portion of your hair shaved off.

Hoplite- said:
AFAIK, that would not be acceptable. Also, did you do this before or after being sworn in?

From the Dress Pam
I haven't seen any females in the Military do that.

Looking at your posts, you have recently joined a Reserve unit. What have they told you? Or have they not seen your hair yet?

Perhaps you shouldn't have shaved part of your hair off than.

Neat, but that doesn't take away from the fact that you had a portion of your hair shaved off.
I had my pulled back for my picture and nobody said anything..
I did it a few months back so way before I was sworn in. It's hides nicely when my hair is down and doesn't look that bad when my hair is pulled back either.

burkus2 said:
I had my pulled back for my picture and nobody said anything..
I did it a few months back so way before I was sworn in. It's hides nicely when my hair is down and doesn't look that bad when my hair is pulled back either.

I am assuming than, that your hair has grown out since it was originally shaved? Next time you are at your unit, ask your section commander. Also, because you said you only shaved a small portion, I assume you actually mean a small section, not your entire side as seen in this photo
http://photos.posh24.com/p/1215948/z/top_lists/cassie_half_shaved_head_half_l.jpg

I'd recommend continue to let it grow out, and do not shave it again.

Hoplite- said:
I am assuming than, that your hair has grown out since it was originally shaved? Next time you are at your unit, ask your section commander. Also, because you said you only shaved a small portion, I assume you actually mean a small section, not your entire side as seen in this photo
http://photos.posh24.com/p/1215948/z/top_lists/cassie_half_shaved_head_half_l.jpg

I'd recommend continue to let it grow out, and do not shave it again.
It's about two inches wide and about four inches long. It hasn't grown too much as I have shaved it a few times since the first time it was done to keep it looking neat.
Thank you for the advice though.

burkus2 said:
So.. I'm a girl and I've got a small section on the right side of my head shaved and the rest of my hair is pretty long. Is that considered as a crazy hairstyle or is it acceptable? Has anyone seen it /done it before? Or am I going to be forced to cut my hair off.. I'd be okay with it but I love my long hair. :-(  The rest of my hair pulls back pretty nicely into a bun though.

Not acceptable.  If they don't make you cut your hair down to match it (like I would make you do), stop shaving that portion down and grow it out -- thee sooner, the better.

From my girlfriend, a Sig O:

1) French braids are fine; tuck excessive length back up underneath the braid and pin it back (although this reg may have changed, you may be able to wear the braid down);
2) Bobby pins are your friend. Pin it back to keep it out of your face;
3) Watch it with the shaved portions and mixing with long and short. It may be considered "extreme";
4) Ditto with wild colours;
5) Top knots are out - and uncomfortable under a helmet/beret anyway.

Essentially, CF is still conservative, to an extent, in this respect. It used to be only small, unadorned, stud earrings were the limit, but now small diamond or pearl earrings are acceptable (for the ladies; guys, don't get your hopes up).

When in doubt, ask your CoC. Or someone in your OR. There's bound to be a female around or someone in the know.

blackberet17 said:
From my girlfriend, a Sig O:

1) French braids are fine; tuck excessive length back up underneath the braid and pin it back (although this reg may have changed, you may be able to wear the braid down);

When in doubt, ask your CoC. Or someone in your OR. There's bound to be a female around or someone in the know.

Braids are fine down until the length reaches the top of your armpits.  Then your hair must be totally tucked up under, cut, or bunned.  I am amazed at the amount of females I've had to correct who simply "fold" their braid at the point where it reaches their armpits to try to "hide excess length" - that's not acceptable and contravenes dress regs.

Tucking the entire hanging-braided portion of a french braid under the "well" created at the base of your head (ie:  so that no braid is hanging at all) is acceptable.

When in doubt - ask your MWO/SSM/RSM - it is their actual job to know and enforce this stuff.  For officers, it is the Adjutant (if your female officer friend is not the Adjt, then her thoughts on dress don't matter much as it's not her job to know).  The adjutant is also who I go to see when I have an officer who doesn't feel they have to consider "polite advice" from myself.

When I was posted to the Det where you are now (left in 2007), - your Adjt was an ex RegF RSM.  If he's still there, ask him; he'll know. 

ArmyVern said:
Braids are fine down until the length reaches the top of your armpits.  Then your hair must be totally tucked up under, cut, or bunned.  I am amazed at the amount of females I've had to correct who simply "fold" their braid at the point where it reaches their armpits to try to "hide excess length" - that's not acceptable and contravenes dress regs.

The sailor in me read that, and I said to myself "What about a back splice?".  ;)

back_splice.jpg

I swear, braiding is some special, magical skill passed from mother to daughter, which utterly confuse the male of the human species for time eternal. My girlfriend is a braider extraordinaire. I can barely manage a proper ponytail when doing my 3 year old's hair after bath time...

Occam said:
The sailor in me read that, and I said to myself "What about a back splice?".  ;)

back_splice.jpg

Well the troops got to shave my head bald back in December (cost them 10 grand for United Way though - at which they succeeded in raising dammit) but when it grows out I might try the splice, :blotto:

Make sure you get the rum to go with your splice Vern.  ;D

I am trying not to repeat questions, but I have been searching this inquiry and am unable to find a sufficient answer. I leave for BMQ on February 14th. I am female and have very short hair. (Shaved slightly in the back, and longer on the top.) Are they more lenient on females when it comes to short hair? I do have bangs, but I can pin them to the side if needed.

I'm in basic right now with medium length hair. A little too short to make a bun, a little too long to leave down.  I was told I had to get my wispies under control too(dang short temple curlies coming out to play in the rain). Prior to this hair, I always had similar to the attached photos(a touch shorter though)

Will that be an appropriate hair cut to go back to? At longest it's chin length in the front and the back is just cut tight.

I would say make sure the length of the sides closer to the length of the back.

As long as you pull your hair away from your face and behind your ears there shouldn't be a problem.  I've seen this style quite a bit.

Wonderful. I'll shorten the front and be sure to keep it tucked!

Thanks to you both.

TheNetworkGirl said:
I am trying not to repeat questions, but I have been searching this inquiry and am unable to find a sufficient answer. I leave for BMQ on February 14th. I am female and have very short hair. (Shaved slightly in the back, and longer on the top.) Are they more lenient on females when it comes to short hair? I do have bangs, but I can pin them to the side if needed.
Hey I also leave for bmq on the 14th where do you fly out of? I haven't sworn in yet I do that on the 12th.

Hi all!

Let me start by saying sorry if this has already been answered. I did do a search and nothing came up.

My ladies with curly hair who have been to bmq or are there right now. Im on the fence about bringing a hair straightener. Not to straighten my hair every day. Ain't nobody got time for that. But I have baby hairs all around my face and with them being curly it makes them extremely annoying to deal with so I usually give them a quick straighten and then slick them back. Should I bring my straightener or just load up on extra product? What has everyone else's experience been? Thanks in advance!

I'll start by saying that I cut my hair short before basic. Pixie cut short.
I did not want to have to deal with hair at all.
You WILL not have time to straighten any hair during the week. And obviously not the weeks you are in the field.
Your best bet is product. Glop that stuff on and turn your hair into a helmet. Or cut it short. It's only hair, it will grow back.
Depending on how long the little baby hairs are, not one may say anything.
Here are the official dress regs: www.cfc.forces.gc.ca/255/251/A-DH-265-000-AG-001.pdf
Page 2-2-2 starts talking about hair. Page 2-2-16 to 2-2-18 has pictures of acceptable female styles. They don't specifically mention wispy hairs however.

Back