• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN/US Covid-related political discussion

Another day, another failed vaccine mandate. The mandates only work if you let them, truckers starting quitting well before the deadline and forced the government to back off. Clearly it's not about safety, its about cohersion. Watch for the quarantine time to disappear once the supply chain grinds to a crawl.

Unvaccinated Canadian truckers will have to quarantine under new mandate, feds say
well it's not like parliment is sitting and you have the government explaining everything, they never did that pre-covid

I'm surprised there is no discussion on the SCOTUS decision regarding the OHSA mandate.

"Although COVID-19 is a risk that occurs in many workplaces, it is not an occupational hazard in most," the Court ruled. "COVID–19 can and does spread at home, in schools, during sporting events, and everywhere else that people gather. That kind of universal risk is no different from the day-to-day dangers that all face from crime, air pollution, or any number of communicable diseases."

This ruling is kind of a big deal, but maybe that rationale doesn't line up with any pre-conceived notions?

I'm surprised there is no discussion on the SCOTUS decision regarding the OHSA mandate.

"Although COVID-19 is a risk that occurs in many workplaces, it is not an occupational hazard in most," the Court ruled. "COVID–19 can and does spread at home, in schools, during sporting events, and everywhere else that people gather. That kind of universal risk is no different from the day-to-day dangers that all face from crime, air pollution, or any number of communicable diseases."

This ruling is kind of a big deal, but maybe that rationale doesn't line up with any pre-conceived notions?
A ruling from a different country with a different Constitution. From what I have read, they did allow the mandate to continue for the healthcare sector.

Another flip-flop: no exemption for Canadian truckers after all.

"On Wednesday, a spokesperson for the Canada Border Services Agency said the federal government was backing down from that commitment and would allow Canadian truckers to enter the country without having to quarantine even if they were unvaccinated or had received only one dose.

Today, the federal government walked back that statement, saying that Wednesday's statement was "provided in error" and that the regulations outlined in November will stand."

A ruling from a different country with a different Constitution. From what I have read, they did allow the mandate to continue for the healthcare sector.
You say that like Canadian courts completely disregard American decisions on similar subjects.

You say that like Canadian courts completely disregard American decisions on similar subjects.
However, thus far, Canadian courts have largely ruled otherwise. The interlocutors injunction decision in Neri does not bode well for the challenge of the CAF mandate, and the decision in Wojdan similarly for the rest of the federally regulated sphere. In both cases courts have said “no, use your grievance system”, thiugh in Neri the judge went farther in her analysis and really ripped the underlying claim to shreds.

SCOTUS is significantly more partisan than the SCC, and at 6-3 it looks like this broke on partisan lines. There’s no reason to believe that with our very different jurisprudence and labour relations law, that the courts are likely to overturn this here.

SCOTUS is significantly more partisan than the SCC, and at 6-3 it looks like this broke on partisan lines. There’s no reason to believe that with our very different jurisprudence and labour relations law, that the courts are likely to overturn this here.

From what I have read, their system of Supreme Court appointments are different from ours.

From what I have read, their system of Supreme Court appointments are different from ours.

Very much so. To appoint a Supreme Court Justice, the president nominates and the senate confirms. Anticipated Supreme Court vacancies are literally an election issue. The Senate is notorious for naked partisanship in trying to either rush through or block SCOTUS nominations as elections approach, and ‘stacking’ the court while they control the presidency and the Senate is an openly admitted goal of both side.

I do not, but the issue of federal and sub-national (state/provincial) authority are significantly different. These rulings, as I read them, focus on whether to federal action was constitutional legal, not on whether it was justified. That may be yet to come. Our federal government has a broader scope of authority. A federation of provinces under a national umbrella vs. a union of independent states.

I don't remember seeing this.

The Honourable Prime Minister thinks people who are unvaccinated

“are extremists who don’t believe in science, they’re often misogynists, also often racists."

Almost like the government has weaponzed accusing people in order to turn other citizens against them.

He will apologize and his mouth breathing supporters will continue to blindly support the party.

vilifying opponents keeps voters intimidated and too preoccupied to look at their own parties behavior and track record.

Anti-mask and anti-vaxxer liquor store employee attacked a masked customer:

People who refuse to be vaccinated place an enormous burden on the health-care system, Legault told host Guy A. Lepage on the popular Radio-Canada show Tout le monde en parle.

This is to protect older Quebecers, who constitute the majority of people admitted to hospital with complications of COVID-19.

He said the vaccination passport, being extended Monday to big-box stores, is one way — and the other is a law governing a tax for unvaccinated Quebecers.

He said it is important people be informed about the consequences of remaining unvaccinated: they represent 10 per cent of the population, but 50 per cent of patients in hospital intensive-care units.

As well, unvaccinated Quebecers with COVID-19 are responsible for surgeries and other necessary procedures are being postponed, he said.

vilifying opponents keeps voters intimidated and too preoccupied to look at their own parties behavior and track record.

I think it has more to do with a blindness to ones chosen affiliations failures. Its loyalty to a fault.

When did accepting sub par government ever become acceptable ? What will it take for our people to wake up and demand better ?

To be fair I get it. Just going into the grocery store is a major stress test as every 5 minutes they play that stupid message about how this pandemic has changed our lives and blah blah blah. We've heard it. We've heard it on repeat for the last two years. We are all sick and tired of it.

Now someone has decided to embody the frustration you haven't been able to vent for two years, I am shocked more fights haven't happened. The customer isn't 100% in the clear here either, he did assault the employee by knocking down the phone. At that point you have turned into embodying the frustration and providing legal justification to attack you.

I read that article a couple of days ago. My question is: Why wasn't the employee wearing a mask?? I see that the employee has been suspended but the manager should also be suspended or fired. Or at the very least, fined.

I read that article a couple of days ago. My question is: Why wasn't the employee wearing a mask?? I see that the employee has been suspended but the manager should also be suspended or fired. Or at the very least, fined.

2nd clerk got aggressive too. Seems like a whole bunch of assholes.

Back